Genomes and Genes
K G Jarvis
Affiliation: Food and Drug Administration
- Cilantro microbiome before and after nonselective pre-enrichment for Salmonella using 16S rRNA and metagenomic sequencingKaren G Jarvis
U S Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, OARSA, Laurel, MD, USA
BMC Microbiol 15:160. 2015..Additionally, culture positive cilantro samples were examined for the presence of Salmonella using shotgun metagenomics on the Illumina MiSeq...
- Pan-genome analysis of the emerging foodborne pathogen Cronobacter spp. suggests a species-level bidirectional divergence driven by niche adaptationChristopher J Grim
CFSAN Food and Drug Administration, Laurel, MD, USA
BMC Genomics 14:366. 2013..In this study, we performed comparative genomics on eight strains of Cronobacter, including six that we sequenced (representing six of the seven species) and two previously published, closed genomes...
- Molecular characterization of Cronobacter lipopolysaccharide O-antigen gene clusters and development of serotype-specific PCR assaysK G Jarvis
Lab 3412, MOD 1 Facility, Virulence Mechanisms Branch HFS 025, Division of Virulence Assessment, OARSA, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, U S Food and Drug Administration, 8301 Muirkirk Road, Laurel, MD 20708, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:4017-26. 2011..PCR assays were developed, targeting the wzx O-antigen polymerase gene, and used to screen 231 Cronobacter strains to determine the frequency of these newly identified serotypes...
- Identification and characterization of Cronobacter iron acquisition systemsC J Grim
CFSAN, FDA, Laurel, Maryland, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:6035-50. 2012..Taken together, these results support the proposition that C. sakazakii and C. malonaticus may be more associated with the human host and C. dublinensis and C. muytjensii with plants...
- Characterization of putative virulence genes on the related RepFIB plasmids harbored by Cronobacter sppA A Franco
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, U S Food and Drug Administration, Laurel, MD, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:3255-67. 2011..These results support the hypothesis that these plasmids have evolved from a single archetypical plasmid backbone through the cointegration, or deletion, of specific virulence traits in each species...
- The Pathogen-annotated Tracking Resource Network (PATRN) system: a web-based resource to aid food safety, regulatory science, and investigations of foodborne pathogens and diseaseG Gopinath
CFSAN, FDA, Laurel, MD 20708, USA
Food Microbiol 34:303-18. 2013..In summary, PATRN is a web-based integrated platform containing tools for the management, analysis and visualization of data about foodborne pathogens...
- Multiplex PCR assay targeting a diguanylate cyclase-encoding gene, cgcA, to differentiate species within the genus CronobacterL Carter
CFSAN, FDA, Laurel, Maryland, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:734-7. 2013..This assay will be a valuable tool for identifying suspected Cronobacter isolates from food-borne investigations...
- Cpa, the outer membrane protease of Cronobacter sakazakii, activates plasminogen and mediates resistance to serum bactericidal activityA A Franco
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, U S Food and Drug Administration, Laurel, Maryland, USA
Infect Immun 79:1578-87. 2011..These results strongly suggest that Cpa may be an important virulence factor involved in serum resistance, as well as in the spread and invasion of C. sakazakii...