M K Baum
Affiliation: Florida International University
- Quality of life, symptomatology and healthcare utilization in HIV/HCV co-infected drug users in MiamiMarianna K Baum
Florida International University, Robert R Stempel School of Public Health, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Addict Dis 27:37-48. 2008..Diminished quality of life in the HIV/HCV co-infected group was explained by increased frequency of depression, physical symptoms, healthcare utilization, and poor access to HCV treatment in this population...
- Medical advice and diabetes self-management reported by Mexican-American, Black- and White-non-Hispanic adults across the United StatesJoan A Vaccaro
Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work, Department of Dietetics and Nutrition, Florida International University, Miami, FL, USA
BMC Public Health 12:185. 2012..Moreover, we sought to establish whether or not race/ethnicity was a modifier for reported medical advice received and diabetes self-management behaviors...
- C-reactive protein: a poor marker of cardiovascular disease risk in HIV+ populations with a high prevalence of elevated serum transaminasesM K Baum
Robert R Stempel School of Public Health, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199, USA
Int J STD AIDS 19:410-3. 2008..In conclusion, hsCRP may not be a reliable marker of CVD risk in populations with HIV at-risk for elevated liver enzymes due to high hepatitis B virus/hepatitis C virus prevalence and ARV use...
- Randomized, controlled clinical trial of zinc supplementation to prevent immunological failure in HIV-infected adultsMarianna K Baum
Florida International University, R Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work, Miami, Florida, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1653-60. 2010..We examined the safety and efficacy of long-term zinc supplementation in relation to HIV disease progression...
- Alcohol use accelerates HIV disease progressionMarianna K Baum
Florida International University, Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work, Miami, Florida 33199, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 26:511-8. 2010..The effect of alcohol abuse on viral load, however, appears to be through reduced adherence to ART...
- Coinfection with hepatitis C virus, oxidative stress and antioxidant status in HIV-positive drug users in MiamiM K Baum
Florida International University, R Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work, Miami, FL 33199, USA
HIV Med 12:78-86. 2011..The pathogenesis of HIV/hepatitis C virus (HCV) coinfection is poorly understood. We examined markers of oxidative stress, plasma antioxidants and liver disease in HIV/HCV-coinfected and HIV-monoinfected adults...
- Crack-cocaine use accelerates HIV disease progression in a cohort of HIV-positive drug usersMarianna K Baum
Department of Dietetics and Nutrition, Florida International University, Robert R Stempel School of Public Health, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 50:93-9. 2009..The effects of specific illicit drugs on HIV disease progression have not been established. We evaluated the relationship between substances of abuse and HIV disease progression in a cohort of HIV-1-positive active drug users...
- Zinc status in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection and illicit drug useMarianna K Baum
Florida International University, College of Health and Urban Affairs, University Park, Rm HLS 337, Miami, FL 33199, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:S117-23. 2003..More research is needed to determine the optimal zinc supplementation level in HIV-infected patients, to prevent further burden on an already compromised immune system...
- Quality of life measures in the Miami HIV-1 infected drug abusers cohort: relationship to gender and disease statusG Shor-Posner
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami School of Medicine, 1400 N W 10th Avenue, 6th Floor D21, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Subst Abuse 11:395-404. 2000..This study examined activity, daily living, health, support, and outlook in HIV+ drug users...
- Selenium and interleukins in persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1M K Baum
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Infect Dis 182:S69-73. 2000..Together, these findings suggest a new mechanism through which selenium may affect HIV-1 disease progression...
- HIV-related wasting in HIV-infected drug users in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyAdriana Campa
Florida International University, College of Health and Urban Affairs, Miami, Florida 33199, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1179-85. 2005..We investigated this concern in a hard-to-reach population of HIV-infected drug users in Miami, Florida...
- Diagnosis of human immunodeficiency virus infection using an immunoglobulin E-based assayM Fletcher
Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 7:55-7. 2000..The IgE assay appears to be sensitive and specific, suggesting that IgE-specific antibodies offer an effective method to detect HIV-1 infection in adults...
- Effect of BMI and fat mass on HIV disease progression in HIV-infected, antiretroviral treatment-naïve adults in BotswanaS S Martinez
1Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33186, USA
Br J Nutr 115:2114-21. 2016..Higher BMI and fat mass among the HIV-infected, ART-naïve participants were associated with slower disease progression. Mechanistic research is needed to evaluate the association between BMI, fat mass and HIV disease progression. ..
- Suppression of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viral load with selenium supplementation: a randomized controlled trialBarry E Hurwitz
Behavioral Medicine Research Center, University of Miami, c o VA Medical Center, FL 33125, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:148-54. 2007..Despite findings that selenium supplementation may improve immune functioning, definitive evidence of its impact on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) disease severity is lacking...
- Micronutrient supplementation increases CD4 count in HIV-infected individuals on highly active antiretroviral therapy: a prospective, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trialJon D Kaiser
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco Medical School, 94941, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:523-8. 2006..To examine the immunologic, metabolic, and clinical effects of broad spectrum micronutrient supplementation in HIV-infected patients taking highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Intestinal parasitic infections and eosinophilia in an human immunedeficiency virus positive population in HondurasRina G Kaminsky
Dirección de Investigación Científica, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras y Hospital Escuela, Casilla Postal 1587, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 99:773-8. 2004....
- Zinc Therapy in Zinc Deficient HIV+ Drug UsersMarianna Baum; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- HIV Disease, Drug Abuse, & Nutrient Therapy in BotswanaMarianna Baum; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since antiretroviral therapies are not readily available to HIV infected adults in most countries in Africa, this study may provide an alternative approach to retard HIV progression. ..