Nicholas V C Ralston
Affiliation: Energy and Environmental Research Center
- Seafood consumption and umbilical cord blood mercury concentrations in a multiethnic maternal and child health cohortReni Soon
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women s Health, University of Hawaii, 1319 Punahou Street, Suite 824, Honolulu 96826, Hawaii
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 14:209. 2014..This study examined the influence of maternal fish consumption during pregnancy on umbilical cord mercury (Hg) concentrations in a multiethnic cohort of women in Hawaii...
- Dietary and tissue selenium in relation to methylmercury toxicityNicholas V C Ralston
Energy and Environmental Research Center, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND 58202, United States
Neurotoxicology 29:802-11. 2008..Therefore, selenoenzymes may be the molecular target of methylmercury toxicity...
- Selenium health benefit values as seafood safety criteriaNicholas V C Ralston
Energy and Environmental Research Center, University of North Dakota, 15 North 23rd Street, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9018, USA
Ecohealth 5:442-55. 2008..Therefore, to provide accurate and appropriate regulatory advice regarding maternal consumption of seafoods and freshwater fish, Hg:Se molar ratios need to be incorporated in food safety criteria...
- Dietary selenium's protective effects against methylmercury toxicityNicholas V C Ralston
Energy and Environmental Research Center, University of North Dakota, 15 North 23rd Street, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Toxicology 278:112-23. 2010..Further studies of these relationships are needed to assist regulatory agencies in protecting and improving child health...
- Importance of molar ratios in selenium-dependent protection against methylmercury toxicityNicholas V C Ralston
Energy and Environmental Research Center, University of North Dakota, 15 North 23rd Street, Stop 9018, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Biol Trace Elem Res 119:255-68. 2007..Therefore, Hg to Se molar ratios provide a more reliable and comprehensive criteria for evaluating risks associated with MeHg exposure...
- Selenium Health Benefit Values: Updated Criteria for Mercury Risk AssessmentsNicholas V C Ralston
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, 58202, USA
Biol Trace Elem Res 171:262-9. 2016..Since Se can be highly variable between watersheds, further evaluation of freshwater fish is needed to identify locations where fish with negative HBVSe may arise and be consumed by vulnerable subpopulation groups. ..
- Contrasting and cooperative effects of copper and iron deficiencies in male rats fed different concentrations of manganese and different sources of sulfur amino acids in an AIN-93G-based dietPhilip G Reeves
U S Department of Agriculture, ARS, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
J Nutr 134:416-25. 2004..Although the anemia of Cu deficiency in AIN-93G-fed rats was not as pronounced as that reported in rats fed the AIN-76A-based diet, other manifestations of the deficiency were prominent...