David C Classen
Affiliation: DynPort Vaccine Company LLC
- Critical drug-drug interactions for use in electronic health records systems with computerized physician order entry: review of leading approachesDavid C Classen
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Utah School of Medicine and CSC, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Patient Saf 7:61-5. 2011..In addition, this review has identified 7 common DDIs that can be the starting point for all organizations in this area of medication safety...
- Adverse drug events among hospitalized Medicare patients: epidemiology and national estimates from a new approach to surveillanceDavid C Classen
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 36:12-21. 2010....
- 'Global trigger tool' shows that adverse events in hospitals may be ten times greater than previously measuredDavid C Classen
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 30:581-9. 2011..Reliance on voluntary reporting and the Patient Safety Indicators could produce misleading conclusions about the current safety of care in the US health care system and misdirect efforts to improve patient safety...
- Improving medication safety: the measurement conundrum and where to startDavid C Classen
The University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84103, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 15:i41-7. 2003..This paper reviews approaches to measuring medication safety from the perspective of both harm and error, and outlines a strategy that combines both approaches in the electronic era...
- Leading patient safety expert speaks on CPOE implementation strategy and success factors. Interview by Richard D. LangDavid C Classen
University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, USA
J Healthc Inf Manag 18:15-7. 2004
- Mixed results in the safety performance of computerized physician order entryJane Metzger
CSC Healthcare in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 29:655-63. 2010..It is important to ascertain whether actual implementations of computerized physician order entry are achieving goals such as improved patient safety...
- Evaluation and certification of computerized provider order entry systemsDavid C Classen
University of Utah School of Medicine, 561 East Northmont Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84103, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 14:48-55. 2007..The increasing role of CPOE systems in health care has invited much more scrutiny about the effectiveness of these systems in actual practice which has the potential to improve their ultimate performance...
- The roles and responsibility of physicians to improve patient safety within health care delivery systemsDavid C Classen
University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103, USA
Acad Med 77:963-72. 2002....
- Understanding hospital readiness for computerized physician order entryDona Stablein
First Consulting Group, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Saf 29:336-44. 2003..The presence or absence of these indicators in a particular hospital was determined by on-site interviews, walkarounds with direct observations, and document review...
- Finding the meaning in meaningful useDavid C Classen
From the Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, and Computer Sciences, Waltham, MA D C C and the Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston D W B
N Engl J Med 365:855-8. 2011..However, whether the standards currently being established will actually result in improvements in patient care remains to be seen...