Lea C Watson
Affiliation: Duke University Medical Center
- Screening accuracy for late-life depression in primary care: a systematic reviewLea C Watson
Geriatric Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Fam Pract 52:956-64. 2003..To determine the accuracy of depression screening instruments for older adults in primary care...
- Can we trust depression screening instruments in healthy 'old-old' adults?Lea C Watson
Department of Psychiatry, Program of Geriatric Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:278-85. 2004..We wished to characterize depressive symptoms and determine the accuracy of two common screening instruments for major and minor depression in a population of old-old retirees...
- Asking family about memory loss. Is it helpful?Lea C Watson
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:28-32. 2005..To compare a family informant's report of memory loss in an older family member to standardized clinical diagnoses of cognitive impairment...
- Practical depression screening in residential care/assisted living: five methods compared with gold standard diagnosesLea C Watson
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7160, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:556-64. 2009..To test the accuracy of five practical depression screening strategies in older adults residing in residential care/assisted living (RC/AL)...
- Perceptions of depression among dementia caregivers: findings from the CATIE-AD trialLea C Watson
Department of Psychiatry, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 26:397-402. 2011..For patients with Alzheimer's disease complicated by behavioral disturbances, to use single questions about perceived depression and assess patient and caregiver accuracy in recognizing patient depression...
- Depression in assisted living is common and related to physical burdenLea C Watson
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:876-83. 2006..The objective of this study was to obtain a direct estimate of the prevalence of depression, its associated factors, and rates of treatment among residents of assisted living (AL) facilities in central Maryland...
- Factors associated with potentially inappropriate drug utilization in a sample of rural community-dwelling older adultsSusan J Blalock
School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7360, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 3:168-79. 2005..The Beers criteria are often used to identify such medications. Past research has documented that use of Beers drugs is common among older adults...
- Older adults' attitudes about continuing cancer screening later in life: a pilot study interviewing residents of two continuing care communitiesCarmen L Lewis
Division of General Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, NC, USA
BMC Geriatr 6:10. 2006..Because older adults' preferences are central to individualized decisions, we assessed older adults' perspectives about continuing cancer screening later in life...
- Characteristics associated with depression in long-term care residents with dementiaAnn L Gruber-Baldini
Division of Gerontology, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Gerontologist 45:50-5. 2005..Overall, 25% of the participants were depressed. Depression was related to severe cognitive impairment, behavioral symptoms, pain, and for-profit nursing home residence...
- Older adults' beliefs about physician-estimated life expectancy: a cross-sectional surveyChristine E Kistler
Family Medicine, University of Michigan, Ypsilanti, MI 48198, USA
BMC Fam Pract 7:9. 2006..The purpose of this study is to assess older adults' beliefs about physician-estimated life expectancy...