Affiliation: Drexel University
- Child food insecurity increases risks posed by household food insecurity to young children's healthJohn T Cook
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Nutr 136:1073-6. 2006..With H&CFI, odds of fair/poor health and hospitalizations are even greater. Participation in FSP reduces, but does not eliminate, effects of FI on fair/poor health...
- Has the WIC incentive to formula-feed led to an increase in overweight children?Donald Rose
Department of Community Health Sciences, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Nutr 136:1086-90. 2006..Further research is needed to understand this relationship, as is the development of applied interventions to increase BF rates...
- Food insecurity and risk of poor health among US-born children of immigrantsMariana Chilton
Drexel University, School of Public Health, 1505 Race St, Philadelphia, PA 19102 1192, USA
Am J Public Health 99:556-62. 2009..We investigated the risk of household food insecurity and reported fair or poor health among very young children who were US citizens and whose mothers were immigrants compared with those whose mothers had been born in the United States...
- Witnesses to hunger: participation through photovoice to ensure the right to foodMariana Chilton
Department of Health Management and Policy, Drexel University School of Public Health USA
Health Hum Rights 11:73-85. 2009....
- Developing a measure of dignity for stress-related health outcomesMariana Chilton
Drexel University School of Public Health, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Health Hum Rights 9:208-33. 2006..The most promising testable hypotheses concerned with dignity violations are related to violent victimization, poverty and deprivation, and discrimination -each of which has been linked to chronic stress and poor health...
- Hunger of the body and hunger of the mind: African American women's perceptions of food insecurity, health and violenceMariana Chilton
Department of Community Health and Prevention, Drexel University School of Public Health, Philadelphia, PA 19102 1192, USA
J Nutr Educ Behav 39:116-25. 2007..This qualitative study examined the relationship between health, hunger, and food insecurity among African American women in Philadelphia...
- The negative effects of poverty & food insecurity on child developmentMariana Chilton
Department of Community Health and Prevention, Drexel University School of Public Health Philadelphia, PA 19102 1192, USA
Indian J Med Res 126:262-72. 2007....
- A rights-based approach to food insecurity in the United StatesMariana Chilton
Department of Health Management and Policy, Drexel University School of Public Health, 1505 Race St, 11th Floor, Mail Stop 1035, Philadelphia, PA 19102 1192, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1203-11. 2009..We describe key elements of a right-to-food approach, review challenges to implementing it, and suggest actions to foster its adoption...
- Identifying the links between violence against women and HIV/AIDS: ecosocial and human rights frameworks offer insight into U.S. prevention policiesMichelle Teti
Department of Community Health and Prevention, Drexel University School of Public Health, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Health Hum Rights 9:40-61. 2006....
- Children with Special Health Care Needs, Supplemental Security Income, and Food InsecurityRuth Rose-Jacobs
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA Department of Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center and Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA Data Coordinating Center, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA Department of Community Health and Prevention, Drexel University School of Public Health, Philadelphia, PA Department of Pediatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR
J Dev Behav Pediatr 37:140-7. 2016..To assess food insecurity in low-income households with young children with/without special health care needs (SHCN) and evaluate relationships between child Supplemental Security Income (SSI) receipt and food insecurity...
- Barriers and facilitators of consumer use of nutrition labels at sit-down restaurant chainsAmy H Auchincloss
1 Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Drexel University School of Public Health, 1505 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Public Health Nutr 16:2138-45. 2013..However, some studies suggest that consumers are not highly responsive to menu labelling. The present qualitative study explored influences on full-service restaurant customers’ noticing and using menu labelling...
- The impact of WIC food package changes on access to healthful food in 2 low-income urban neighborhoodsAmy Hillier
Department of City and Regional Planning, School of Design, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Nutr Educ Behav 44:210-6. 2012..To evaluate the impact of the 2009 food package changes for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) on the availability of healthful food...
- "Do You Wanna Breathe or Eat?": Parent Perspectives on Child Health Consequences of Food Insecurity, Trade-Offs, and Toxic StressMolly Knowles
Drexel University School of Public Health, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA
Matern Child Health J 20:25-32. 2016....
- Childhood Adversity and Adult Reports of Food Insecurity Among Households With ChildrenJing Sun
Department of Epidemiology, Drexel University School of Public Health, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Am J Prev Med 50:561-72. 2016..This study investigated the association between female caregivers' adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and household and child food insecurity, taking into account depressive symptoms...
- The relationship between childhood adversity and food insecurity: 'It's like a bird nesting in your head'Mariana Chilton
1School of Public Health, Drexel University, 3600 Market Street, 7th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Public Health Nutr 18:2643-53. 2015..The present study investigates how adverse childhood experiences are associated with food insecurity by exploring caregivers' perceptions of the impact of their childhood adversity on educational attainment, employment and mental health...
- Household food insecurity: associations with at-risk infant and toddler developmentRuth Rose-Jacobs
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine, 91 East Concord St, Room 5106, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Pediatrics 121:65-72. 2008..In this study, we evaluated the relationship between household food security status and developmental risk in young children, after controlling for potential confounding variables...
- A brief indicator of household energy security: associations with food security, child health, and child development in US infants and toddlersJohn T Cook
Department of Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Pediatrics 122:e867-75. 2008..The objectives of this study were to develop a clinical indicator of household energy security and assess associations with food security, health, and developmental risk in children <36 months of age...