- Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance: serine phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate-1 and increased expression of p85alpha: the two sides of a coinBoris Draznin
Research Service, 151, Denver VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St, CO 80220, USA
Diabetes 55:2392-7. 2006..Conceivably, a combination of both increased expression of p85alpha and increased serine phosphorylation of IRS-1 is needed to induce clinically apparent insulin resistance...
- Insulin attenuates vascular smooth muscle calcification but increases vascular smooth muscle cell phosphate transportCecilia C Low Wang
Research Service, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, United States
Atherosclerosis 195:e65-75. 2007..This effect of insulin contrasts with its effect to induce phosphate transport in VSMC...
- Acute effects of different diet compositions on skeletal muscle insulin signalling in obese individuals during caloric restrictionCecilia C L Wang
Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, Denver, Colorado, USA
Metabolism 62:595-603. 2013..The cellular effects of restricting fat versus carbohydrate during a low-calorie diet are unclear. The aim of this study was to examine acute effects of energy and macronutrient restriction on skeletal muscle insulin signalling in obesity...
- Inhibition of the phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase signaling pathway leads to decreased insulin-stimulated adiponectin secretion from 3T3-L1 adipocytesRocio I Pereira
Research Service, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Metabolism 54:1636-43. 2005....
- Effects of chronic hyperinsulinemia in insulin-resistant patientsSergio Muntoni
Denver, CO 80220, USA
Curr Diab Rep 8:233-8. 2008..Conversely, metformin can improve primary and surrogate end points...
- Insulin affects vascular smooth muscle cell phenotype and migration via distinct signaling pathwaysCecilia C Low Wang
Veterans Affairs Research Service, Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
Diabetes 52:2562-9. 2003..Thus, with impaired PI 3-kinase signaling and intact MAPK signaling, as seen in insulin resistance, insulin may lose its ability to maintain VSMC quiescence and instead promote VSMC migration...
- Garlic extract methylallyl thiosulfinate blocks insulin potentiation of platelet-derived growth factor-stimulated migration of vascular smooth muscle cellsInga Golovchenko
Research Service of the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Metabolism 52:254-9. 2003..MAT also completely inhibited the ability of hyperinsulinemia to potentiate the PDGF-induced VSMC migration. Thus, the purported anti-atherogenic action of garlic may be related to its inhibitory influence on GGTase I...
- Growth hormone regulation of p85alpha expression and phosphoinositide 3-kinase activity in adipose tissue: mechanism for growth hormone-mediated insulin resistanceJuan Pablo Del Rincon
Department of Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Diabetes 56:1638-46. 2007....
- Increased P85alpha is a potent negative regulator of skeletal muscle insulin signaling and induces in vivo insulin resistance associated with growth hormone excessLinda A Barbour
Department of Medicine, University Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, 80262, USA
J Biol Chem 280:37489-94. 2005....
- Inhibition of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase enhances mitogenic actions of insulin in endothelial cellsMonica Montagnani
Cardiology Branch, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 277:1794-9. 2002..We conclude that inhibition of the metabolic branch of insulin signaling leads to an enhanced mitogenic action of insulin in endothelial cells...
- Insulin regulation of sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1 expression in L-6 muscle cells and 3T3 L1 adipocytesKristen J Nadeau
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1056 East 19th Avenue, Denver, CO 80218, USA
J Biol Chem 279:34380-7. 2004....
- Enhanced insulin signaling via Shc in human breast cancerChristina A Finlayson
Department of Surgery, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Metabolism 52:1606-11. 2003....
- Human placental growth hormone increases expression of the p85 regulatory unit of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and triggers severe insulin resistance in skeletal muscleLinda A Barbour
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Endocrinology 145:1144-50. 2004....
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase redistribution is associated with skeletal muscle insulin resistance in gestational diabetes mellitusJianhua Shao
Department of Pediatrics, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Diabetes 51:19-29. 2002..These defects are unique to pregnancy and suggest that redistribution of PI 3-kinase to the insulin receptor may be a primary defect underlying insulin resistance in skeletal muscle during gestational diabetes...
- Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance that impact cardiovascular biologyCecilia C Low Wang
Research Service of the Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA
Diabetes 53:2735-40. 2004..Here we discuss some of the effects of insulin resistance and mechanisms of potentially detrimental influence of hyperinsulinemia in the presence of metabolic insulin resistance...
- Early growth response gene-1 expression in vascular smooth muscle cells effects of insulin and oxidant stressCecilia C Low Wang
Research Service, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado
Am J Hypertens 19:366-72. 2006..In this study we examined the effects of insulin and oxidant stress on Egr-1 expression in vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMC), and identified mechanisms for these effects on Egr-1...
- Increased farnesylation of p21-Ras and neonatal macrosomia in women with gestational diabetesPatti Thureen
Department of Pediatrics, Medicine of the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Research Service of the Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Colorado, USA
J Pediatr 149:871-3. 2006..The ability of fetal hyperinsulinemia to increase the availability of farnesylated p21-Ras may represent one mechanism of the growth-promoting action of insulin during fetal development...
- Human placental growth hormone causes severe insulin resistance in transgenic miceLinda A Barbour
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 186:512-7. 2002..Our aim was to evaluate the effect of placental growth hormone on insulin sensitivity in vivo using transgenic mice that overexpress the human placental growth hormone gene...
- Insulin sensitivity determines the effectiveness of dietary macronutrient composition on weight loss in obese womenMarc Andre Cornier
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Obes Res 13:703-9. 2005..To determine whether macronutrient composition of a hypocaloric diet can enhance its effectiveness and whether insulin sensitivity (Si) affects the response to hypocaloric diets...