Affiliation: Dartmouth Medical School
- The impact of waist circumference on function and physical activity in older adults: longitudinal observational data from the osteoarthritis initiativeJohn A Batsis
Section of General Internal Medicine, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Nutr J 13:81. 2014..However, its association with function and quality of life in older adults is not well understood and hence we sought to examine the impact of WC on six-year outcomes...
- Beverage intake, diabetes, and glucose control of adults in AmericaTodd MacKenzie
Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH, USA
Ann Epidemiol 16:688-91. 2006..The aim of the study is to examine the association between type of beverages consumed and glucose control in American adults with and without diabetes...
- Metabolic and hormonal effects of caffeine: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trialTodd MacKenzie
Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Metabolism 56:1694-8. 2007..This study provides evidence that daily caffeine intake reduces insulin sensitivity; the effect persists for at least a week and is evident up to 12 hours after administration...
- The effect of an extract of green and black tea on glucose control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: double-blind randomized studyTodd MacKenzie
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Metabolism 56:1340-4. 2007..9) in the placebo, 375-mg, and 750-mg arms, respectively. The changes were not significantly different between study arms. We did not find a hypoglycemic effect of extract of green and black tea in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Diabetes and risk of bladder cancer: evidence from a case-control study in New EnglandTodd MacKenzie
Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 037756, USA
Cancer 117:1552-6. 2011....
- The presence of ethics programs in critical access hospitalsWilliam A Nelson
Community and Family Medicine and The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, Dartmouth Medical School, 46 Centerra Parkway, Lebanon, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
HEC Forum 22:267-74. 2010..A virtual ethics committee network may be the most efficient and effective way of providing rural hospitals access to a knowledgeable ethics committee or consultant...
- Patients use the internet to enter the medical homeJohn H Wasson
Departmentof Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
J Ambul Care Manage 34:38-46. 2011..We also find that current PCMH performance across this sample of 69 clinical settings is highly variable and still leaves a great deal of room for improvement...
- The impact of primary care patients' pain and emotional problems on their confidence with self-managementJohn H Wasson
Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, USA
J Ambul Care Manage 31:120-7. 2008..Their confidence is impacted by their pain or emotional state and strongly associated with their medical care experiences and some outcomes of care...
- Polyantigenic interferon-Î³ responses are associated with protection from TB among HIV-infected adults with childhood BCG immunizationTimothy Lahey
Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e22074. 2011..Surrogate immunologic markers for natural and vaccine-mediated protection against tuberculosis (TB) have not been identified...
- Mifepristone versus laminaria: a randomized controlled trial of cervical ripening in midtrimester terminationBeth A Prairie
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Contraception 76:383-8. 2007..Mifepristone was compared with laminaria for cervical ripening in second-trimester induction of labor (IOL)...
- Screening mammography intervals among postmenopausal hormone therapy users and nonusersTracy Onega
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, USA
Cancer Causes Control 21:147-52. 2010..To investigate the latter possibility, we compared mammographic intervals according to HT use...
- Utilization of screening mammography in New Hampshire: a population-based assessmentPatricia A Carney
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03766, USA
Cancer 104:1726-32. 2005..Although self-report data indicate that screening utilization is high, the results of this population-based assessment indicated that utilization is lower than reported previously...
- Insulin lispro therapy in pregnancies complicated by type 1 diabetes: glycemic control and maternal and fetal outcomesSatish K Garg
Department of Medicine, Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Endocr Pract 9:187-93. 2003..To evaluate glycemic control and maternal and fetal outcomes of patients with type 1 diabetes treated with insulin lispro before and during pregnancy...
- Discovery of breast cancers within 1 year of a normal screening mammogram: how are they found?Patricia A Carney
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH, USA
Ann Fam Med 4:512-8. 2006..We sought to determine how breast cancers that occur within 1 year after a normal mammogram are discovered...
- Prevalence of food and beverage brands in movies: 1996-2005Lisa A Sutherland
Dartmouth Medical School, Hood Center for Children and Families, Community Health Research Program, Department of Pediatrics, HB 7465, One Medical Center Dr, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Pediatrics 125:468-74. 2010..The objective of this study was to describe food and beverage brand placements in a large representative sample of popular movies...
- Predictors of acute complications in children with type 1 diabetesArleta Rewers
Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado, School of Medicine, The Children s Hospital, Denver, CO 80218, USA
JAMA 287:2511-8. 2002..Diabetic ketoacidosis and severe hypoglycemia are acute complications of type 1 diabetes that are related, respectively, to insufficient or excessive insulin treatment. However, little is known about additional modifiable risk factors...
- Interferon treatment for chronic hepatitis B: enhanced response in children 5 years old or youngerGregory E Kobak
Pediatric Liver Center and Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Pediatr 145:340-5. 2004..To test the hypothesis that there is an improved response to interferon in children with chronic hepatitis B (HBV) who are < or =5 years of age...
- Efficacy and patient perception of Grenz ray therapy in the treatment of dermatoses refractory to other medical therapyPeter C Schalock
Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Dermatitis 19:90-4. 2008..Grenz ray therapy (GRT) has been used to treat dermatoses refractory to other therapy. Patient's assessments to GRT alone have not been previously reported...
- Progression of coronary artery calcification in type 1 diabetes: the importance of glycemic controlJanet K Snell-Bergeon
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Diabetes Care 26:2923-8. 2003....
- Characterization of acute liver failure and development of a continuous risk of death staging system in childrenEdwin Liu
Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1056 East 19th Avenue, Box B290, Denver, CO 80218 1088, USA
J Hepatol 44:134-41. 2006..There is currently no system for staging severity of ALF in children. The aim of this study was to characterize pediatric ALF in a tertiary hospital and to derive a scoring system to stratify severity of ALF based on predicted mortality...
- Outcomes associated with pediatric after-hours care by call centers: a multicenter studyAllison Kempe
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado HSC and Children s Outcomes Research Program, The Children s Hospital, Denver, Colo 80218, USA
Ambul Pediatr 3:211-7. 2003..To assess 1) parental opinion regarding appropriateness of triage, 2) utilization outcomes, and 3) the frequency of underreferral with subsequent hospitalization for children triaged by nurses at pediatric call centers...
- Variation in mortality risk factors with time after coronary artery bypass graft operationDexiang Gao
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:74-81. 2003..However, little is known about the time-varying effects of mortality risk factors after the operation...