Carlos U Corvera
- Bipolar pulse coagulation for resection of the cirrhotic liverCarlos U Corvera
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, VA Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Surg Res 136:182-6. 2006..The Gyrus hand piece (GHP) is a bipolar diathermy pulsation instrument that is similar in design to a large hemostat (Péan) clamp that divides tissue while the clamp remains closed...
- Laparoscopic treatment of liver tumours using a two-needle probe bipolar radiofrequency ablation deviceFarzad Alemi
Department of Surgery, University of California, and San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
HPB (Oxford) 13:656-64. 2011..Additionally, B-RFA can precoagulate parenchyma to assist in hepatic resection. Herein, we report our early experience using B-RFA...
- Change in Liver Imaging Reporting and Data System Characterization of Focal Liver Lesions Using Gadoxetate Disodium Magnetic Resonance Imaging Compared With Contrast-Enhanced Computed TomographyThomas A Hope
From the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging and Department of Radiology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA Department of Radiology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX and Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco and Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
J Comput Assist Tomogr . 2016..The aim of this study was to determine whether gadoxetate-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) improves lesion characterization in patients at risk for hepatocellular carcinoma compared with computed tomography (CT)...
- The TGR5 receptor mediates bile acid-induced itch and analgesiaFarzad Alemi
Department of Surgery, UCSF, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Clin Invest 123:1513-30. 2013..These mechanisms could contribute to pruritus and painless jaundice that occur during cholestatic liver diseases...
- The receptor TGR5 mediates the prokinetic actions of intestinal bile acids and is required for normal defecation in miceFarzad Alemi
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Gastroenterology 144:145-54. 2013..The G protein-coupled BA receptor TGR5 (or GPBAR1) is expressed by enteric neurons and endocrine cells, which regulate motility and secretion...
- Periprocedural complications by Child-Pugh class in patients undergoing transcatheter arterial embolization or chemoembolization to treat unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma at a VA medical centerJeffery S Russell
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Medical Center, USA
Am J Surg 200:659-64. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare periprocedural complications in a population with hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma to evaluate for differences in complications by severity of liver disease...
- Correcting for respiratory motion in liver PET/MRI: preliminary evaluation of the utility of bellows and navigated hepatobiliary phase imagingThomas A Hope
Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
EJNMMI Phys 2:21. 2015..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the utility of bellows-based respiratory compensation and navigated hepatobiliary phase imaging to correct for respiratory motion in the setting of dedicated liver PET/MRI...
- Localization of calcitonin receptor-like receptor (CLR) and receptor activity-modifying protein 1 (RAMP1) in human gastrointestinal tractGraeme S Cottrell
Department of Surgery, Center for Neurobiology of Digestive Diseases, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0660, United States
Peptides 35:202-11. 2012..Thus, CGRP and IMD appear to be released locally, where they can mediate their effect on their receptors regulating diverse functions such as inflammation, pain and motility...
- Preoperative FOLFIRINOX for borderline resectable pancreatic cancer: Is radiation necessary in the modern era of chemotherapy?Sunhee S Kim
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California
J Surg Oncol 114:587-596. 2016..No consensus exists regarding the optimal neoadjuvant treatment paradigm for patients with borderline resectable pancreatic cancer (BRPC), including the respective roles of chemotherapy and radiation...
- Multiple arterial phase MRI of arterial hypervascular hepatic lesions: improved arterial phase capture and lesion enhancementNabia S Ikram
Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, M391, CA, 94143 0628, USA
Abdom Radiol (NY) . 2016..To establish if triple-phase arterial imaging improves the detection of arterial phase hyperintense lesions based on arterial phase capture, motion artifact degradation, and lesion enhancement when compared to single-phase imaging...
- Expanded use of aggressive therapies improves survival in early and intermediate hepatocellular carcinomaEdith Y Ho
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
HPB (Oxford) 16:758-67. 2014..Despite the increasing annual incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in the USA, now estimated at 2.7 cases per 100 000 population, only a small proportion of patients receive treatment and 5-year survival rates range from 9% to 17%...
- Hepatic surgery at a VA tertiary medical center: lessons learnedFarzad Alemi
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Surg 200:591-5. 2010..The development of a hepatic surgery center within a US Department of Veterans Affairs hospital is dependent on proper training and institutional support, which can translate into low operative morbidity and mortality rates...
- Impairment of central leptin-mediated PI3K signaling manifested as hepatic steatosis independent of hyperphagia and obesityJames P Warne
Diabetes Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cell Metab 14:791-803. 2011..Together, our results indicate that central cellular leptin resistance in PI3K signaling manifests as hepatic steatosis without causing obesity...