Affiliation: Columbia University
- 'Hip-hop' stroke: a stroke educational program for elementary school children living in a high-risk communityOlajide Williams
Department of Neurology, Harlem Hospital and Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Stroke 39:2809-16. 2008..We describe a stroke literacy program that teaches elementary school children in high-risk communities to recognize stroke and form an urgent action plan; we then present results of an intervention study using the program...
- Hip Hop HEALS: Pilot Study of a Culturally Targeted Calorie Label Intervention to Improve Food Purchases of ChildrenOlajide Williams
Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Health Educ Behav 43:68-75. 2016..We explored the effect of a culturally targeted calorie label intervention on food purchasing behavior of elementary school students...
- Long-term learning of stroke knowledge among children in a high-risk communityOlajide Williams
Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Neurology 79:802-6. 2012..To evaluate the effect of Hip Hop Stroke, a school-based multimedia musical stroke literacy intervention that targets children aged 8-12 in high-risk minority communities, on the long-term learning of stroke knowledge...
- Child-Mediated Stroke Communication: findings from Hip Hop StrokeOlajide Williams
Department of Neurology, Harlem Hospital, Harlem Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA
Stroke 43:163-9. 2012..We aimed to assess whether "Child-Mediated Stroke Communication" could improve stroke literacy of parents of children enrolled in a school-based stroke literacy program called Hip Hop Stroke...
- Effect of two 12-minute culturally targeted films on intent to call 911 for strokeOlajide Williams
From the Department of Neurology O W, E L H, A D, A A B, L V, J N, M G, Columbia University Medical Center, New York Research Division J P E, M R, J A T, The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, Bronx and Department of Population Health J R, G J L, G O, NYU School of Medicine, New York
Neurology 86:1992-5. 2016..We assessed the behavioral effect of two 12-minute culturally targeted stroke films on immediately calling 911 for suspected stroke among black and Hispanic participants using a quasi-experimental pretest-posttest design...
- Hip Hop Stroke: Study Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial to Address Stroke LiteracyOlajide Williams
Department of Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center, USA
J Clin Trials 5:. 2015..Our overarching goal is to reduce pre-hospital delays to acute stroke treatments in economically disadvantaged minority communities where the greatest delays exist, using Hip Hop Stroke...
- Syncope and orthostatic intoleranceLouis H Weimer
Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Med Clin North Am 87:835-65. 2003..Careful clinical assessment and application of advancing laboratory support can further improve diagnosis and treatment. Despite the depth of existing research into these common problems, many underlying mechanisms remain unproven...
- Stroke literacy in Central Harlem: a high-risk stroke populationJoshua Z Willey
Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Neurology 73:1950-6. 2009..We sought to evaluate stroke literacy among residents of Central Harlem, a predominantly African American population, in a cross-sectional study...
- Effect of a novel video game on stroke knowledge of 9- to 10-year-old, low-income childrenOlajide Williams
From the Department of Neurology, The Neurological Institute of New York, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY
Stroke 45:889-92. 2014..Improving actionable stroke knowledge of a witness or bystander, which in some cases are children, may improve response to an acute stroke event...
- Using Qualitative Methods to Assess the Conceptual Equivalence of the Spanish and English Stroke Action Test (STAT)Mildred Ramirez
Hebrew Home at Riverdale, Research Division, Riverdale, New York, USA Weill Cornell Medical College, New York City, New York, USA
Qual Health Res . 2016..Cognitive interviews helped identify problematic items, highlighted potential response errors, and provided insight regarding putative causes for inconsistent interpretation...
- Calorie postings in chain restaurants in a low-income urban neighborhood: measuring practical utility and policy complianceElizabeth Gross Cohn
School of Nursing, New York, NY, USA
J Urban Health 89:587-97. 2012..We identified specific strategies to improve practical utility and provide recommendations for policy implementation...
- Improving dementia health literacy using the FLOW mnemonic: pilot findings from the Old SCHOOL hip-hop programJames M Noble
Department of Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA Hip Hop Public Health Research Center of Columbia University Medical Center and Harlem Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Health Educ Behav 42:73-83. 2015....
- Tailored approaches to stroke health education (TASHE): study protocol for a randomized controlled trialJoseph Ravenell
Department of Population Health, NYU School of Medicine, 227 E 30th Street NY, New York, NY, 1001, USA
Trials 16:176. 2015..Improving stroke literacy may be a critical step along the pathway to reducing stroke disparities. The aim of the current study is to test a novel intervention to increase stroke literacy in minority populations in New York City...