Jacqueline A Merrill
Affiliation: Columbia University
- Understanding the local public health workforce: labels versus substanceJacqueline A Merrill
Laboratory for Informatics, Complexity and Organizational Study, Center for Health Policy, School of Nursing, Columbia University, New York, New York Electronic address
Am J Prev Med 47:S324-30. 2014..The workforce is a key component of the nation's public health (PH) infrastructure, but little is known about the skills of local health department (LHD) workers to guide policy and planning...
- Effects of automated immunization registry reporting via an electronic health record deployed in community practice settingsJ Merrill
Columbia University School of Nursing, 630 West 168th StreetNew York, NY 10032, USA
Appl Clin Inform 4:267-75. 2013..The Primary Care Information Project (PCIP), an initiative of the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, has implemented EHRs with immunization reporting capability in community settings...
- Topology of local health officials' advice networks: mind the gapsJacqueline Merrill
School of Nursing and Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 18:602-8. 2012..To determine how a health officials' advice network might contribute to a high-performing public health systems by facilitating diffusion of innovation and best practices...
- A system dynamics evaluation model: implementation of health information exchange for public health reportingJacqueline A Merrill
School of Nursing and Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 20:e131-8. 2013..To evaluate the complex dynamics involved in implementing electronic health information exchange (HIE) for public health reporting at a state health department, and to identify policy implications to inform similar implementations...
- Examination of the relationship between public health statute modernization and local public health system performanceJacqueline Merrill
Department of Biomedical Informatics, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 15:292-8. 2009..One factor may be congruence between a state's PH enabling statutes and the obligations outlined in Public Health in America-the collaboratively developed framework that defines the mission and essential services (ESs) of PH...
- Findings from an organizational network analysis to support local public health managementJacqueline Merrill
Columbia University Department of Biomedical Informatics, New York, NY, USA
J Urban Health 85:572-84. 2008..Managers found the findings useful to support decision making. Public health organizations must be effective in an increasingly complex environment. Network analysis can help build public health capacity for complex system management...
- Description of a method to support public health information management: organizational network analysisJacqueline Merrill
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, VC 5, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Biomed Inform 40:422-8. 2007..The analysis succeeded in providing insights into organizational processes which informed public health managers' strategies to address problems and to take advantage of network strengths...
- Growth of a scientific community of practice public health services and systems researchJacqueline A Merrill
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Am J Prev Med 41:100-4. 2011..Public health services and systems research (PHSSR) is an emerging discipline that examines the organization, financing, and delivery of public health services...
- Evolution of coauthorship in public health services and systems researchMichael E Bales
NMBI Systems, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Am J Prev Med 41:112-7. 2011..This study (1) describes dynamics of this growing community and (2) identifies research themes, subgroups within the field, and collaboration among groups...
- Implementing health information exchange for public health reporting: a comparison of decision and risk management of three regional health information organizations in New York stateAndrew B Phillips
MGH Institute of Health Professions, School of Nursing, Charlestown Navy Yard, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 21:e173-7. 2014..While all three RHIOs achieved certification for the public health reporting, only one has elected to deploy a production version. ..
- Sometimes more is more: iterative participatory design of infographics for engagement of community members with varying levels of health literacyAdriana Arcia
School of Nursing, Columbia University, New York, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 23:174-83. 2016..To collaborate with community members to develop tailored infographics that support comprehension of health information, engage the viewer, and may have the potential to motivate health-promoting behaviors...
- Associating co-authorship patterns with publications in high-impact journalsMichael E Bales
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, New York City, United States The Irving Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, Columbia University, New York City, United States
J Biomed Inform 52:311-8. 2014..To develop a method for investigating co-authorship patterns and author team characteristics associated with the publications in high-impact journals through the integration of public MEDLINE data and institutional scientific profile data...
- Using social network analysis to examine collaborative relationships among PhD and DNP students and faculty in a research-intensive university school of nursingJacqueline A Merrill
School of Nursing and Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Nurs Outlook 61:109-16. 2013..This nonlinear quantitative approach may be a useful addition to the evaluation strategies for doctoral education initiatives...
- Development and evaluation of a prototype search engine to meet public health information needsJonathan W Keeling
Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2011:693-700. 2011..PHIS could enhance both the quality and quantity of PH search results...
- Innovative use of the integrative review to evaluate evidence of technology transformation in healthcareAndrew B Phillips
Columbia University, School of Nursing, 617 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA Electronic address
J Biomed Inform 58:114-21. 2015....
- The influence of management and environment on local health department organizational structure and adaptation: a longitudinal network analysisJonathan W Keeling
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, New York Drs Keeling and Merrill and Champaign Urbana Public Health District, Champaign, Illinois Ms Pryde
J Public Health Manag Pract 19:598-605. 2013..The objective of this study is to assess the effect of organizational network analysis on management decisions in LHDs and to demonstrate the technique's ability to detect organizational adaptation over time...
- Effectiveness of an emergency preparedness training program for public health nurses in New York CityKristine A Qureshi
Mailman School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Fam Community Health 27:242-9. 2004..The evaluation methods included pre/post-testing followed by a repeat post-test one month after the program. The program resulted in positive shifts in both knowledge and emergency response attitudes...