Affiliation: Columbia University
- A review of existing treatments for substance abuse among the elderly and recommendations for future directionsAlexis Kuerbis
Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc, and Columbia University Medical Center
Subst Abuse 7:13-37. 2013..AIMS OF REVIEW: This review describes and evaluates studies on SAT applied to and specifically designed for OA over the last 30 years with an emphasis on methodologies used and the knowledge gained...
- Alcohol use disorders among substance dependent women on Temporary Assistance with Needy Families: more information for diagnostic modifications for DSM-5Alexis N Kuerbis
Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc, New York, NY, USA
Am J Addict 22:402-10. 2013..This study determined the dimensionality and rank order severity of the DSM-IV AUD criteria among Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipients with high rates of chemical dependency and co-morbid mental health disorders...
- Functioning of alcohol use disorders criteria among middle-aged and older adults: implications for DSM-5Alexis N Kuerbis
Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc, New York, New York, USA
Subst Use Misuse 48:309-22. 2013..CFA revealed a one-factor model. IRT analyses revealed that AUD criteria identify only severe cases of AUD. Overall, 5.8% met criteria for a DSM-IV AUD; 7.5% met criteria for DSM-5 AUD...
- Predictors of moderated drinking in a primarily alcohol-dependent sample of men who have sex with menAlexis Kuerbis
Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc, New York, NY 10019, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 26:484-95. 2012..Impact of treatment on predictors is explored. Limitations of this study and arenas for future research are discussed...
- The impact of retirement on the drinking patterns of older adults: a reviewAlexis Kuerbis
Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc, and Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, c o Columbia Addiction Services and Psychotherapy Intervention, 3 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10019, USA
Addict Behav 37:587-95. 2012....
- Characteristics of individuals screening positive for substance use in a welfare setting: implications for welfare and substance-use disorders treatment systemsJon Morgenstern
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:561-70. 2008..This study examined barriers to employability, motivation to abstain from substances and to work, and involvement in multiple service systems among male and female welfare applicants with alcohol- and drug-use problems...
- Motivational interviewing: a pilot test of active ingredients and mechanisms of changeJon Morgenstern
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 26:859-69. 2012..Findings are discussed in the context of the pilot nature of the study and the relative absence of experimental tests of mechanisms of behavior change in SUD treatment research...
- Profiles of confidence and commitment to change as predictors of moderated drinking: a person-centered approachAlexis Kuerbis
Department of Mental Health Services and Policy Research, Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc
Psychol Addict Behav 28:1065-76. 2014..Findings suggest that baseline motivation and self-efficacy are important for predicting prognoses related to successful moderated drinking. Limitations and arenas for future research are discussed...
- Improving 24-month abstinence and employment outcomes for substance-dependent women receiving temporary assistance for needy families with intensive case managementJon Morgenstern
National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, Columbia University, New York, NY 10017, USA
Am J Public Health 99:328-33. 2009..e., usual care)...
- Motivation and self-efficacy in the context of moderated drinking: global self-report and ecological momentary assessmentAlexis Kuerbis
Department of Mental Health Policy and Services Research, Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc
Psychol Addict Behav 27:934-43. 2013..Daily diary methods may provide significant advantages. Limitations and arenas for future research are discussed...
- An exploratory pilot study of mechanisms of action within normative feedback for adult drinkersAlexis Kuerbis
Silberman School of Social Work, City University of New York, Hunter College, New York, NY, United States
Peerj 4:e2114. 2016..Findings also indicate NF may work by validating a preexisting perception that drinking is a problem instead of creating concern related to discrepancy where none existed. Limitations regarding generalizability are discussed. ..
- Implicit Alcohol Approach and Avoidance Tendencies Predict Future Drinking in Problem DrinkersLaura Martin Braunstein
Department of Psychology, Columbia University, New York, New York
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 40:1945-52. 2016..The incentive sensitization model of addition suggests that more implicit, automatic processes, such as the tendency to approach substance cues, play a major role in behavior...
- Testing Cross-Sectional and Prospective Mediators of Internalized Heterosexism on Heavy Drinking, Alcohol Problems, and Psychological Distress Among Heavy Drinking Men Who Have Sex With MenAlexis Kuerbis
Silberman School of Social Work, Hunter College at City University of New York, New York, New York
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 78:113-123. 2017..e., internalized heterosexism) and behavioral health outcomes...
- Substance abuse among older adultsAlexis Kuerbis
Department of Mental Health Services and Policy Research, Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc, Columbia University Medical Center, 3 Columbus Circle, Suite 1404, New York, NY 10019, USA Electronic address
Clin Geriatr Med 30:629-54. 2014..Prevalence rates of substance use and misuse among older adults, methods of screening and assessment unique to older adults, and treatment options for older adults are reviewed. ..
- Cognitive regulation of craving in alcohol-dependent and social drinkersNasir H Naqvi
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, New York
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 39:343-9. 2015..To date, however, the ability to utilize such strategies for regulation of craving has never been tested in a laboratory setting...
- Developing a theory driven text messaging intervention for addiction care with user driven contentFrederick Muench
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and Mobile Health Interventions, New York, NY 10019, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 27:315-21. 2013..Implications for the development of mobile messaging interventions for the addictions are discussed. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2013 APA, all rights reserved)...