Affiliation: Claremont Graduate University
- User evaluation of the effects of a text simplification algorithm using term familiarity on perception, understanding, learning, and information retentionGondy Leroy
Information Systems and Technology, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA 91711, United States
J Med Internet Res 15:e144. 2013..Unfortunately, it is difficult to write text that is easy to understand, and existing approaches, mostly the application of readability formulas, have not convincingly been shown to reduce the difficulty of text...
- A user-study measuring the effects of lexical simplification and coherence enhancement on perceived and actual text difficultyGondy Leroy
School of Information Systems and Technology, Claremont Graduate University, USA
Int J Med Inform 82:717-30. 2013..Unfortunately, writing text that is easily understood is challenging. This work tests two text features for their impact on understanding: lexical simplification and coherence enhancement...
- A shallow parser based on closed-class words to capture relations in biomedical textGondy Leroy
Management Information Systems, The University of Arizona, McClelland Hall, Room 430, 1130 E Helen St, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:145-58. 2003..There were 296 relations correctly extracted from the abstracts resulting in 90% precision of the relations and an average of 11 correct relations per abstract...
- The influence of text characteristics on perceived and actual difficulty of health informationGondy Leroy
School of Information Systems and Technology, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Int J Med Inform 79:438-49. 2010..Our goal is to find text features that are indicative of perceived and actual difficulty so that barriers to reading can be lowered and understanding of information increased...
- Perils of providing visual health information overviews for consumers with low health literacy or high stressGondy Leroy
Information Systems and Technology, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California 91711, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 17:220-3. 2010..Our data suggests that vulnerable consumers relied solely on the HTO when it was available and were misled when it did not provide the answer...
- An end user evaluation of query formulation and results review tools in three medical meta-search enginesGondy Leroy
School of Information Systems and Technology, Claremont Graduate University, 130 E Ninth Street, Claremont, CA 91711, United States
Int J Med Inform 76:780-9. 2007..To further complicate the search, users often ignore support tools when available. Our goal is to evaluate in a realistic setting when users use support tools and how they perceive these tools...
- Effects of information and machine learning algorithms on word sense disambiguation with small datasetsGondy Leroy
School of Information Science, Claremont Graduate University, 130 E Ninth Street, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Int J Med Inform 74:573-85. 2005....
- Improving perceived and actual text difficulty for health information consumers using semi-automated methodsGondy Leroy
Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2012:522-31. 2012..097). Our results show how term familiarity is a valuable component in simplifying text in an efficient and scalable manner...
- Using symbolic knowledge in the UMLS to disambiguate words in small datasets with a naïve Bayes classifierGondy Leroy
School of Information Science, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:381-5. 2004..In a follow-up evaluation, we noted a trend that the best disambiguation was found for words that were the least troublesome to the human evaluators...
- The effect of word familiarity on actual and perceived text difficultyGondy Leroy
Department of Management Information Systems, Eller College of Management, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 21:e169-72. 2014..219, p<0.001) but not with word length (r=-0.075, p=0.107). Perceived difficulty was correlated with both word familiarity (r=-0.397, p<0.001) and word length (r=0.254, p<0.001). ..
- Effects on Text Simplification: Evaluation of Splitting Up Noun PhrasesGondy Leroy
a Management Information Systems Department, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Health Commun 21:18-26. 2016..We conclude that splitting noun phrases benefits perceived difficulty but hurts actual difficulty when the phrasing becomes less natural...
- Persuading consumers to form precise search engine queriesGondy Leroy
Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2009:354-8. 2009..Moreover, they used more keywords and relationships between keywords with search diagrams. In comparison to drawing their own diagrams, modifying existing templates led to more searches being conducted and higher creativity in searching...
- Consumer health concepts that do not map to the UMLS: where do they fit?Alla Keselman
Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:496-505. 2008..How do the unmapped consumer health concepts relate to the existing UMLS concepts? What is the place of these new concepts in professional medical discourse?..
- Developing informatics tools and strategies for consumer-centered health communicationAlla Keselman
Division of Specialized Information Services, National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:473-83. 2008..This article was written as a scholarly outreach and leadership project by members of the American Medical Informatics Association's Consumer Health Informatics Working Group...