Affiliation: City University of New York
- Maturation of mismatch negativity: a scalp current density analysisBrett A Martin
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York
Ear Hear 24:463-71. 2003..The purpose of this study was to examine maturational changes in the topography of one of these auditory evoked potentials, the mismatch negativity (MMN), using scalp current density (SCD) analysis...
- Language-specific memory traces of consonants in the brainValerie L Shafer
Program in Speech and Hearing Sciences, City University of New York, 365 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 18:242-54. 2004....
- Electrophysiological indices of vowel discrimination in late bilingualsCarol A Tessel
The Graduate Ctr CUNY, 365 5th Ave, Speech and Hearing 7th floor, New York, NY 10016
J Acoust Soc Am 125:2760. 2009..Results also suggest that vowel category reshaping is less flexible in adult learners of a second language. The results will be discussed in relation to language usage...
- Maturation of cortical auditory evoked potentials (CAEPs) to speech recorded from frontocentral and temporal sites: Three months to eight years of ageValerie L Shafer
Ph D Program in Speech Language Hearing Sciences, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, 365 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA Electronic address
Int J Psychophysiol 95:77-93. 2015..Future research, which includes manipulation of stimulus factors, and use of modeling techniques will be needed to explain the apparent, protracted maturation of the temporal site measures in the current study. ..
- Neural mismatch indices of vowel discrimination in monolingually and bilingually exposed infants: does attention matter?Valerie L Shafer
The Graduate Center, City University of New York, New York, NY, United States
Neurosci Lett 526:10-4. 2012..These findings substantially advance our understanding of neural indices of speech perception development and show promise for furthering our understanding of bilingual language development...
- Electrophysiological indices of brain activity to "the" in discourseValerie L Shafer
City University of New York and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Program in Speech and Hearing Sciences, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Brain Lang 93:277-97. 2005..Ignoring the auditory stimuli led to an attenuation of the right LAP, supporting the hypothesis that it is an index of discourse processing...
- Neurophysiological indexes of speech processing deficits in children with specific language impairmentValerie L Shafer
Program in Hearing Sciences, City University of New York, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Cogn Neurosci 17:1168-80. 2005..This pattern of findings indicates that children with SLI have speech perception deficiencies, although the underlying cause may vary...
- Evidence of deficient central speech processing in children with specific language impairment: the T-complexValerie L Shafer
The Graduate Center, City University of New York, NY 10016, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 122:1137-55. 2011..This paper examined neurophysiological correlates of speech in children with language impairment (LI) and typical language development (TLD) across four experiments using different speech stimuli and tasks...
- Neurophysiological indices of attention to speech in children with specific language impairmentValerie L Shafer
Speech and Hearing Sciences, The Graduate Center, CUNY, NY, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 118:1230-43. 2007..The aim was to determine whether children with specific language impairment (SLI) differed from children with typical language development (TLD) in their allocation of attention to speech sounds...
- Maturation of speech discrimination in 4- to 7-yr-old children as indexed by event-related potential mismatch responsesValerie L Shafer
The Graduate School and University Center, The City University of New York, New York, New York 10016, USA
Ear Hear 31:735-45. 2010..This study examined maturation of mismatch responses (MMRs) to an English vowel contrast (/I/ versus /ε/) in 4- to 7-yr-old children...
- Electrophysiological indices of discrimination of long-duration, phonetically similar vowels in children with typical and atypical language developmentHia Datta
The Graduate Center, City University of New York, Speech Language Hearing Sciences, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 53:757-77. 2010..Shafer, M. Morr, H. Datta, D. Kurtzberg, & R. Schwartz, 2005). They hypothesized that longer vowels would allow for improved speech perception...
- Brain responses to filled gapsArild Hestvik
Ph D Program in Speech and Hearing Sciences, The Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue, City University of New York, NY 10016, USA
Brain Lang 100:301-16. 2007..The finding is interpreted as evidence that gap-filling is mediated by structurally predicted empty categories, rather than directly by argument structure operations...
- An electrophysiological investigation of discourse coherence in healthy adultsYael Neumann
Department of Linguistics and Communication Disorders, Queens College, City University of New York, USA
Clin Linguist Phon 28:812-25. 2014..These findings point to an index of discourse coherence and further suggest that ERPs can be used as a clinical tool to study discourse-processing disorders in populations with brain damage, such as aphasia and traumatic brain injury...
- English vowel contrast perception on monolingual and bilingual 4- to 7-year olds: Behavioral and neurophysiological evidenceYan Yu
Speech Lang Hearing Sci, the Graduate Ctr, City Univ of New York, New York, NY 10016
J Acoust Soc Am 125:2776. 2009..Younger children tended to still have a positive MMR that preceded the adult-like negative MMR. Individual patterns of response will be discussed in relation to amount of English versus Spanish exposure...
- Maturation of mismatch negativity in typically developing infants and preschool childrenMara L Morr
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, Bronx 10461, USA
Ear Hear 23:118-36. 2002..1) To determine whether an adult-like mismatch negativity (MMN) can be reliably elicited in typically developing awake infants and preschool children, and if so 2) to examine whether maturational changes exist in MMN latencyand amplitude...
- The Neurodevelopmental Basis of Speech DiscriminationValerie Shafer; Fiscal Year: 2009..bilingual) on speech discrimination using brain and behavioral indices of processing of these stimuli. ..