Laurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Affiliation: Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- Comfort with the idea of formula feeding helps explain ethnic disparity in breastfeeding intentions among expectant first-time mothersLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Breastfeed Med 5:25-33. 2010..Using a mediation model approach, we examined the relative contributions of breastfeeding and formula feeding psychosocial factors in explaining disparities in breastfeeding intentions...
- Does Insulin Explain the Relation between Maternal Obesity and Poor Lactation Outcomes? An Overview of the LiteratureLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Division of Neonatology Center for Interdisciplinary Research in Human Milk and Lactation, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH
Adv Nutr 7:407-14. 2016..To develop effective interventions to support lactation success in obese women further research is needed to identify how, when, and for whom maternal insulin secretion and sensitivity affect lactation ability. ..
- RNA sequencing of the human milk fat layer transcriptome reveals distinct gene expression profiles at three stages of lactationDanielle G Lemay
Genome Center, University of California Davis, Davis, California, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e67531. 2013..This study provides the methodology and reference data set to enable future targeted research on the physiological contributors of sub-optimal lactation in humans. ..
- Breastfeeding concerns at 3 and 7 days postpartum and feeding status at 2 monthsErin A Wagner
IBCLC, Perinatal Institute, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45221
Pediatrics 132:e865-75. 2013..We characterized breastfeeding concerns from open-text maternal responses and determined their association with stopping breastfeeding by 60 days (stopping breastfeeding) and feeding any formula between 30 and 60 days (formula use)...
- Delayed onset of lactogenesis among first-time mothers is related to maternal obesity and factors associated with ineffective breastfeedingLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, OH 45229 3039, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 92:574-84. 2010..Delayed onset of lactogenesis (OL) is most common in primiparas and increases the risk of excess neonatal weight loss, formula supplementation, and early weaning...
- The Infant Feeding Intentions scale demonstrates construct validity and comparability in quantifying maternal breastfeeding intentions across multiple ethnic groupsLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Matern Child Nutr 6:220-7. 2010..The IFI scale provides a valid measure of breastfeeding intentions in diverse populations of English- and Spanish-speaking primiparae, and may be a useful tool when researching disparities in breastfeeding practices...
- Growth of breastfed infantsLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Division of Neonatology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
Breastfeed Med 4:S45-9. 2009....
- Doula care, early breastfeeding outcomes, and breastfeeding status at 6 weeks postpartum among low-income primiparaeLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Division of Neonatology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 7009, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 38:157-73. 2009..To examine associations between doula care, early breastfeeding outcomes, and breastfeeding duration...
- Timing of stage II lactogenesis is predicted by antenatal metabolic health in a cohort of primiparasLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Division of Neonatology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Breastfeed Med 7:43-9. 2012..Our objective was to prenatally assess maternal biomarkers related to metabolic health and determine the extent to which these biomarkers predict timing of OL...
- Determinants of exclusive breastfeeding in a cohort of primiparous periurban peruvian mothersSusana L Matias
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Hum Lact 28:45-54. 2012..Research is also warranted to explore the factors linking depot medroxyprogesterone acetate use and breast pain with EBF duration...
- Risk factors for early lactation problems among Peruvian primiparous mothersSusana L Matias
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Matern Child Nutr 6:120-33. 2010..Early lactation problems may be influenced by modifiable factors such as delivery mode and breastfeeding frequency. Infant status at birth and maternal characteristics could indicate when breastfeeding dyads need extra support...
- Excess weight loss in first-born breastfed newborns relates to maternal intrapartum fluid balanceCaroline J Chantry
University of California, Davis, Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, 2516 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Pediatrics 127:e171-9. 2011..The objectives were to describe weight loss in a multiethnic population of first-born, predominantly breastfed, term infants and to identify potentially modifiable risk factors for excess weight loss (EWL)...
- Newborn wet and soiled diaper counts and timing of onset of lactation as indicators of breastfeeding inadequacyLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Department of Nutrition, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Hum Lact 24:27-33. 2008..73-.99) and Sp = .59 (.55-.63). Fewer than 4 soiled diapers on day 4 when used in conjunction with delayed onset of lactation may be indicative of breastfeeding inadequacy, but low specificity will result in many false positives...
- Implementation of the WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study in the United StatesKathryn G Dewey
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Food Nutr Bull 25:S84-9. 2004..The cross-sectional sample was recruited between January and July 2001. Major challenges during implementation were maintaining daily communication with hospital personnel and scheduling home visits...
- Development and validation of the infant feeding intentions scaleLaurie A Nommsen-Rivers
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, USA
Matern Child Health J 13:334-42. 2009..There is a need in breastfeeding behavior studies for a quantitative measure of maternal breastfeeding intentions. The Infant Feeding Intentions (IFI) scale was developed to fill this need...
- Serotonin transport and metabolism in the mammary gland modulates secretory activation and involutionAaron M Marshall
231 Albert Sabin Way, Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0576, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:837-46. 2010..Serotonin [5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)] is an important local regulator of lactation homeostasis; however, the roles for the serotonin reuptake transporter and monoamine oxidase have not been known...