Mark C Walters
Affiliation: Children's Hospital and Research Center
- Stem cell therapy for sickle cell disease: transplantation and gene therapyMark C Walters
Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, 747 52nd Street, Oakland, CA 94609 1809, USA
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program . 2005..But the experience of HCT for SCD has proven that eliminating the beta(S)-globin gene is curative when the transfer is stable. Thus replacement gene therapy for sickle cell disease remains a subject of intense interest and investigation...
- Indications and Results of HLA-Identical Sibling Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for Sickle Cell DiseaseMark C Walters
Blood and Marrow Transplant Program, University of California San Francisco Benioff Children s Hospital, Oakland, California Electronic address
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 22:207-11. 2016..The experience of HLA-identical sibling HCT in adults with SCD is limited but appears to be similar to results in children. These preliminary observations, however, warrant further investigation. ..
- Pulmonary, gonadal, and central nervous system status after bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell diseaseMark C Walters
Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program, Children s Hospital and Research Center, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16:263-72. 2010..In summary, individuals who had stable donor engraftment did not experience sickle-related complications after BMT, and were protected from progressive CNS and pulmonary disease...
- Sickle cell anemia and hematopoietic cell transplantation: When is a pound of cure worth more than an ounce of prevention?Mark C Walters
Children s Hospital and Research Center, Oakland, Oakland, CA, USA
Pediatr Transplant 8:33-8. 2004..Current efforts to identify suitable candidates for HCT to decrease the toxicity of HCT, and to broaden its availability are discussed...
- Sibling donor cord blood transplantation for thalassemia major: Experience of the Sibling Donor Cord Blood ProgramMark C Walters
Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, 747 52nd St, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1054:206-13. 2005..It was concluded that cord blood transplantation from sibling donors represents a suitable alternative to bone marrow transplantation...
- Stable mixed hematopoietic chimerism after bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell anemiaM C Walters
Children s Hospital Oakland, California 94609 1809, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 7:665-73. 2001..These observations strongly suggest that patients with sickle cell disease who develop persistent mixed hematopoietic chimerism after transplantation experience a significant ameliorative effect...
- Improved engraftment with minimal graft-versus-host disease after major histocompatibility complex-mismatched cord blood transplantation with photochemically treated donor lymphocytesBindu Kanathezhath
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 236:492-504. 2011..This CBT model establishes the possibility of ensuring donor engraftment across a MHC barrier without severe GVHD...
- Outcomes of preimplantation genetic diagnosis therapy in treatment of beta-thalassemia: A retrospective analysisNaveen Qureshi
Department of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, 747 52nd St, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1054:500-3. 2005..Improvements in PGD therapy's efficacy and cost will make this a more viable option for affected families...
- Haematopoietic cell transplantation in the treatment of sickle cell diseaseRobert C Atkins
Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program, 747 52nd Street, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Expert Opin Biol Ther 3:1215-24. 2003..The future of HCT for haemoglobinopathies undoubtedly will evolve as transplant-related complications are reduced and as the process of selecting patients for HCT is refined...
- Clinical hemoglobinopathies: iron, lungs and new bloodClaudia R Morris
Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 13:407-18. 2006..As a result, chronic health impairments that significantly reduce the quality of life such as pulmonary hypertension and the consequences of transfusional iron overload have become principal challenges...
- Stem cell transplantation with S-59 photochemically treated T-cell add-backs to establish allochimerism in murine thalassemiaFrans A Kuypers
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, 5700 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1054:214-22. 2005....
- Recent advances in bone marrow transplantation in hemoglobinopathiesJennifer G Michlitsch
Children s Hospital and Research Center, Oakland, Oakland, CA, USA
Curr Mol Med 8:675-89. 2008..This review discusses the successes, challenges and future direction of HCT for SCD and thalassemia...
- Human term placenta as a source of hematopoietic cellsVladimir Serikov
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 234:813-23. 2009..These results suggest that human placenta could become an important new source of hematopoietic cells for allogeneic transplantation...
- Umbilical cord blood transplantation for thalassemia majorBindu Kanathezhath
Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, 747 52nd Street, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 24:1165-77. 2010..Progress in developing UCB transplantation for thalassemia is reviewed and the most likely areas of future clinical investigation are discussed...
- Comprehensive banking of sibling donor cord blood for children with malignant and nonmalignant diseaseWilliam Reed
Sibling Donor Cord Blood Program, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, CA, USA
Blood 101:351-7. 2003..The cellular products have been used successfully for transplantation; their number and characteristics should be adequate to support the first prospective clinical investigations of sibling CB transplantation...
- Treatment of hepatitis C virus infection in thalassemiaEllen Butensky
Department of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, 747 52nd St, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1054:290-9. 2005..Although transfusion requirements increased in most patients, iron burden was not necessarily increased...
- Newborn screening for hemoglobinopathies in CaliforniaJennifer Michlitsch
Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 52:486-90. 2009..In 1999, newborn screening for Hb H disorders was incorporated in the statewide hemoglobinopathy screening program...
- Matched-related donor transplantation for sickle cell disease: report from the Center for International Blood and Transplant ResearchJulie A Panepinto
Department of Hematology Oncology Bone Marrow Transplant, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Br J Haematol 137:479-85. 2007....
- Transfusional iron burden and liver toxicity after bone marrow transplantation for acute myelogenous leukemia and hemoglobinopathiesWasil Jastaniah
University of British Columbia and British Columbia s Children s Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:319-24. 2008....
- A prospective study of G-CSF primed bone marrow as a stem-cell source for allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in children: a Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium (PBMTC) studyHaydar Frangoul
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232 2573, USA
Blood 110:4584-7. 2007..Collection of G-BM from pediatric donors is safe, and can result in high NC and CD34 cell doses that facilitate engraftment after myeloablative BMT without a discernable increase in the risk of GVHD...
- Results of minimally toxic nonmyeloablative transplantation in patients with sickle cell anemia and beta-thalassemiaRobert Iannone
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins Hospital and Oncology Center, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 9:519-28. 2003....
- Related umbilical cord blood transplantation in patients with thalassemia and sickle cell diseaseFranco Locatelli
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Blood 101:2137-43. 2003..Related CBT for hemoglobinopathies offers a good probability of success and is associated with a low risk of GVHD. Optimization of transplantation strategies could further improve these results...
- Cord blood transplantation for sickle cell anemia: bust or boom?Mark C Walters
Pediatr Transplant 11:582-3. 2007
- Induction of Stable Chimerism for Sickle Cell AnemiaMark Walters; Fiscal Year: 2004..If successful, this novel approach will expand the availability of HCT for patients with clinically significant hemoglobinopathies. ..
- Northern California Consortium for Sickle Cell DiseaseMark Walters; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..