Affiliation: Children's Hospital and Research Center
- Combined chelation therapy with deferasirox and deferoxamine in thalassemiaAshutosh Lal
Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 50:99-104. 2013..03±0.01 μM, p=0.006). The simultaneous administration of DFO and DFX rapidly reduced systemic and myocardial iron, and provided an excellent control of the toxic labile plasma iron species without an increase in toxicity...
- Association of chromosome damage detected as micronuclei with hematological diseases and micronutrient statusAshutosh Lal
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, 5700 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Mutagenesis 26:57-62. 2011..Understanding the link between micronutrient status and MN frequency will contribute towards determining optimal micronutrient intake to preserve long-term health...
- Bone mineral density in children with sickle cell anemiaAshutosh Lal
Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 47:901-6. 2006..We evaluated bone mineral density (BMD) and risk factors for poor bone mineralization in children with sickle cell anemia (SCA)...
- Lipoic acid and acetyl-carnitine reverse iron-induced oxidative stress in human fibroblastsAshutosh Lal
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA
Redox Rep 13:2-10. 2008..We conclude that LA is highly effective in reversing oxidative stress arising from iron overload and that its antioxidant efficacy is further enhanced in combination with ALCAR...
- Heterogeneity of hemoglobin H disease in childhoodAshutosh Lal
Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
N Engl J Med 364:710-8. 2011..Early diagnosis during newborn screening or infancy has enabled the observation of the natural history of hemoglobin H disease, a subtype of α-thalassemia...
- Measuring chromosome breaks in patients with thalassemiaTal Offer
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1054:439-44. 2005..Our findings indicate that higher levels of micronuclei frequencies are present in thalassemic RBCs...
- A multicomponent nutrient bar promotes weight loss and improves dyslipidemia and insulin resistance in the overweight/obese: chronic inflammation blunts these improvementsJoyce C McCann
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA and Processed Foods Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Western Regional Research Center, Albany, California, USA
FASEB J 29:3287-301. 2015....
- A nutrient-dense, high-fiber, fruit-based supplement bar increases HDL cholesterol, particularly large HDL, lowers homocysteine, and raises glutathione in a 2-wk trialMichele L Mietus-Snyder
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, 94609, USA
FASEB J 26:3515-27. 2012..These results lay the groundwork for mechanistic/deconstruction experiments to identify critical bar components and putative synergistic combinations responsible for observed effects...
- Clinical assay of four thiol amino acid redox couples by LC-MS/MS: utility in thalassemiaJung H Suh
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:3418-27. 2009..The method was used to assess thiol redox states in plasma and erythrocytes isolated from healthy subjects and thalassemia patients...
- Zinc status affects glucose homeostasis and insulin secretion in patients with thalassemiaEllen B Fung
Department of Hematology Oncology at the UCSF Benioff Children s Hospital, 747 52nd Street Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Nutrients 7:4296-307. 2015..Future zinc trials will require modeling of oral glucose tolerance test data and not simply measurement of static indices in order to understand the complexities of pancreatic function in the Thal patient. ..
- The role of fetal hemoglobin-enhancing agents in thalassemiaAshutosh Lal
Department of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Semin Hematol 41:17-22. 2004..The clinical trials of decitabine in thalassemia must carefully evaluate the dose and route of administration, and address concerns about long-term side effects...