Genomes and Genes
Yi Wen Chen
Affiliation: Children's National Medical Center
- Gene expression responses over 24 h to lengthening and shortening contractions in human muscle: major changes in CSRP3, MUSTN1, SIX1, and FBXO32Matthew C Kostek
Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, District of Columbia 20010, USA
Physiol Genomics 31:42-52. 2007..The molecular differences might contribute to mechanisms underlying the physiological adaptations seen with training using the two modes of exercise...
- Synergistic contribution of CD14 and HLA loci in the susceptibility to Buerger diseaseZhiyong Chen
Department of Vascular and Applied Surgery, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Hum Genet 122:367-72. 2007..Odds ratios ranged from 4.72 to 12.57 in individuals carrying any two of these three markers. These findings suggested that the susceptibility to BD was in part controlled by genes involved in the innate and adaptive immunity...
- DUX4 differentially regulates transcriptomes of human rhabdomyosarcoma and mouse C2C12 cellsVishakha Sharma
Department of Molecular Medicine, George Washington University, Washington DC, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e64691. 2013....
- IL-6 signaling blockade increases inflammation but does not affect muscle function in the mdx mouseMatthew C Kostek
Laboratory of Muscle and Translational Therapeutics, Department of Exercise Science, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 13:106. 2012..The purpose of the current study was to examine the effect of blocking IL-6 signaling on the muscle phenotype including muscle weakness and pathology in the mdx mouse...
- Duration of chronic inflammation alters gene expression in muscle from untreated girls with juvenile dermatomyositisYi Wen Chen
Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
BMC Immunol 9:43. 2008....
- Early onset of inflammation and later involvement of TGFbeta in Duchenne muscular dystrophyY W Chen
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
Neurology 65:826-34. 2005..To identify stage-specific induction of molecular pathology pathways in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD)...
- Nuclear envelope dystrophies show a transcriptional fingerprint suggesting disruption of Rb-MyoD pathways in muscle regenerationMarina Bakay
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, Washington DC 20010, USA
Brain 129:996-1013. 2006..Our data is consistent with mutations of nuclear lamina components leading to destabilization of the transcriptome in differentiated cells...
- Response of rat muscle to acute resistance exercise defined by transcriptional and translational profilingYi Wen Chen
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center and George Washington University, Washington DC, USA
J Physiol 545:27-41. 2002..This novel finding of p53 induction following exercise also demonstrates the power of expression profiling for identification of novel pathways involved in the response to muscle contraction...
- Development and production of an oligonucleotide MuscleChip: use for validation of ambiguous ESTsRehannah H A Borup
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Avenue N W, Washington, DC 20010, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 3:33. 2002..The 120,000 oligonucleotides were synthesized by photolithography and light-activated chemistry on each microarray...
- Interactively optimizing signal-to-noise ratios in expression profiling: project-specific algorithm selection and detection p-value weighting in Affymetrix microarraysJinwook Seo
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, MD, USA
Bioinformatics 20:2534-44. 2004..Also, we hypothesized that use of the Microarray Suite (MAS) 5.0 probe set detection p-value as a weighting function would improve the performance of all probe set algorithms...
- Molecular responses of human muscle to eccentric exerciseYi Wen Chen
Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 95:2485-94. 2003....
- Nuclear factor 90 mediates activation of the cellular antiviral expression cascadeIrina Krasnoselskaya-Riz
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, D C 20037, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:591-604. 2002..This leads to a hypothesis as to the mechanism of action of NF90 in mediating endogenous antiviral responses...
- Sources of variability and effect of experimental approach on expression profiling data interpretationMarina Bakay
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20010 USA
BMC Bioinformatics 3:4. 2002....
- Transcriptional pathways associated with skeletal muscle disuse atrophy in humansYi Wen Chen
Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s National Medical Center, George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Physiol Genomics 31:510-20. 2007..Information obtained in this study complements findings in animal models of disuse and provides important feedback for future clinical studies targeting the restoration of muscle function following limb disuse in humans...
- Genetic medicine and the muscular dystrophies: triumphs and tribulationsEric P Hoffman
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center Pediatrics, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Dev Med Child Neurol 44:136-40. 2002
- miR-411 is up-regulated in FSHD myoblasts and suppresses myogenic factorsNaoe Harafuji
Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA
Orphanet J Rare Dis 8:55. 2013..In addition, misregulation of microRNAs (miRNAs) has been reported in muscular dystrophies including FSHD. In this study, we identified a miRNA that is differentially expressed in FSHD myoblasts and investigated its function...
- Asynchronous remodeling is a driver of failed regeneration in Duchenne muscular dystrophySherry Dadgar
Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s National Medical Center, and Department of Integrative Systems Biology, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010 Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s National Medical Center, and Department of Integrative Systems Biology, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010
J Cell Biol 207:139-58. 2014..Our asynchronous regeneration model for pathological fibrosis and muscle wasting in the muscular dystrophies is likely generalizable to tissue failure in chronic inflammatory states in other regenerative tissues. ..
- DUX4, a candidate gene of facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy, encodes a transcriptional activator of PITX1Manjusha Dixit
Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:18157-62. 2007..Our results suggest that up-regulation of both DUX4 and PITX1 in FSHD muscles may play critical roles in the molecular mechanisms of the disease...
- The role of TRAIL in mediating autophagy in myositis skeletal muscle: a potential nonimmune mechanism of muscle damageHeather M Alger
Children s National Medical Center and George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Arthritis Rheum 63:3448-57. 2011..We undertook this study to investigate the role of TRAIL in cell death and pathogenesis in vitro and in vivo, using myositis muscle tissues from humans and mice...
- Alterations in mRNA expression and protein products following spinal cord injury in humansMaria L Urso
Department of Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
J Physiol 579:877-92. 2007..Increased protein levels for PSMD11 and the metallothioneins 5 days post-SCI, specifically along the cell periphery, indicate that proteins in this region may be early targets for degradation post-SCI...
- Expression profiling of FSHD muscle supports a defect in specific stages of myogenic differentiationSara T Winokur
Department of Biological Chemistry, 202 Sprague Hall, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Hum Mol Genet 12:2895-907. 2003..Improper nuclear localization of 4qter is discussed as an alternative model for FSHD gene regulation and pathogenesis...
- Analysis of human skeletal muscle after 48 h immobilization reveals alterations in mRNA and protein for extracellular matrix componentsMaria L Urso
Department of Exercise Science, 110 Totman Bldg, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 01003, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 101:1136-48. 2006..Our results suggest that 48 h of immobilization increases mRNA content for components of the UPP and metallothionein function while decreasing mRNA and protein for ECM components as well as decreased phosphorylation of Akt...
- Activation of the endoplasmic reticulum stress response in autoimmune myositis: potential role in muscle fiber damage and dysfunctionKanneboyina Nagaraju
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:1824-35. 2005..This study was undertaken to investigate these pathways in myositis patients and in a class I major histocompatibility complex (MHC)-transgenic mouse model of myositis...
- Downregulation of myelination, energy, and translational genes in Menkes disease brainPo Ching Liu
Unit on Pediatric Genetics, Laboratory of Clinical Genomics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1834, USA
Mol Genet Metab 85:291-300. 2005..Thirty known genes were altered in both cortex and cerebellum. Downregulation of genes involved in myelination, energy metabolism, and translation was the major finding. The cerebellum was more sensitive to copper deficiency...
- Molecular pathophysiology of facioscapulohumeral muscul*Yi Wen Chen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Further studies will likely include the delineation of a complete picture of the pathophysiology of FSHD, as well as identification of functional SNPs in the refined gene list that correlate with disease severity. ..