Nina T Harawa
Affiliation: Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
- Exploring HIV prevention utilization among female sex workers and male-to-female transgendersNina T Harawa
Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, CA, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 21:356-71. 2009....
- Associations of race/ethnicity with HIV prevalence and HIV-related behaviors among young men who have sex with men in 7 urban centers in the United StatesNina T Harawa
County of Los Angeles, Department of Health Services, Los Angeles, CA 90005, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 35:526-36. 2004..Prevention programs should address risks in steady partnerships, target young men before sexual initiation with male partners, and tailor interventions to men of color and of lower socioeconomic status...
- Racial/ethnic and gender differences among older adults in nonmonogamous partnerships, time spent single, and human immunodeficiency virus testingNina T Harawa
Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, Department of Research, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
Sex Transm Dis 38:1110-7. 2011..A higher frequency of nonmonogamy, due in part to lower marriage prevalence, may contribute to elevated human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)/sexually transmitted disease rates among older blacks...
- Sexual behavior, sexual identity, and substance abuse among low-income bisexual and non-gay-identifying African American men who have sex with menNina T Harawa
Department of Research, Charles R Drew University, 1731 E 120th St, Third Floor, Hawkins Bldg, Room 3090, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
Arch Sex Behav 37:748-62. 2008....
- Gender role conflict among African American men who have sex with men and women: associations with mental health and sexual risk and disclosure behaviorsTrista A Bingham
HIV Epidemiology Program, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90005, USA
Am J Public Health 103:127-33. 2013....
- Sex and condom use in a large jail unit for men who have sex with men (MSM) and male-to-female transgendersNina T Harawa
Charles Drew University, LosAngeles, CA, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:1071-87. 2010..Findings also indicate that high-risk sex occurs frequently in this unit and that condom distribution likely prevents a substantial amount of related HIV/STD risk...
- The effect of partner characteristics on HIV infection among African American men who have sex with men in the Young Men's Survey, Los Angeles, 1999-2000Trista A Bingham
HIV Epidemiology Program, Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, Los Angeles, CA 90005, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 15:39-52. 2003....
- HIV risk behaviors among Black/African American and Hispanic/Latina Female partners of men who have sex with men and womenNina T Harawa
Department of Research, Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, 1731, East 120th Street, Building J, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
AIDS Behav 17:848-55. 2013..8 vs. 0.63%, p = 0.03). Interventions targeting women who report other risky behaviors may reach many who have been with MSMW. Women with one partner are an important focus of such efforts...
- Learning from successful interventions: A culturally congruent HIV risk-reduction intervention for African American men who have sex with men and womenJohn K Williams
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, 90024 1759, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1008-12. 2009..These elements include having gender specificity, a target population, a theoretical foundation, cultural and historical congruence, skill-building components, and well-defined goals...
- Using arrest charge to screen for undiagnosed HIV infection among new arrestees: a study in Los Angeles CountyNina T Harawa
Department of Research, Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
J Correct Health Care 15:105-17. 2009..Using arrest charge to target screening may efficiently increase HIV diagnosis in jail inmates where universal HIV screening is not possible...
- Frequent failed early HIV detection in a high prevalence area: implications for preventionDenise F Johnson
Epidemiology Program, Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, Los Angeles, California 90005, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 17:277-82. 2003..Links to treatment and behavioral intervention programs should accompany such expanded testing efforts...
- Perceptions towards condom use, sexual activity, and HIV disclosure among HIV-positive African American men who have sex with men: implications for heterosexual transmissionNina T Harawa
Charles B Drew University of Medicine and Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Urban Health 83:682-94. 2006....
- Do differences in relationship and partner attributes explain disparities in sexually transmitted disease among young white and black women?Nina T Harawa
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 32:187-91. 2003..Although characteristics of sexual partners and relationships often differed by race, this did not explain racial disparities in STDs...
- Sexually transmitted infections and HIV prevalence among incarcerated men who have sex with men, 2000-2005Marjan Javanbakht
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Sexually Transmitted Disease Program, Los Angeles, California, USA
Sex Transm Dis 36:S17-21. 2009....
- Risk factors for infection and colonization with community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the Los Angeles County jail: a case-control studyCynthia L Maree
University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:1248-57. 2010..Spread of these infections can be extremely difficult to control. Development of effective prevention protocols requires an understanding of MRSA risk factors in incarcerated persons...
- HIV prevalence among foreign- and US-born clients of public STD clinicsNina T Harawa
Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, HIV Epidemiology Program, Los Angeles, CA 90005, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1958-63. 2002..We examined differences in HIV seroprevalence and the likely timing of HIV infection by birth region...
- Racial Pride and Condom Use in Post-Incarcerated African-American Men Who Have Sex With Men and Women: Test of a Conceptual Model for the Men in Life Environments InterventionMichael J Li
Division of Health Behavior Research, Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2001 N Soto Street, 3rd Floor, Los Angeles, CA, 90032 3628, USA
Arch Sex Behav . 2016..Our findings suggest that racial pride is an important factor to address in HIV prevention interventions for post-incarcerated African-American MSMW...
- Allostatic load burden and racial disparities in mortalityO Kenrik Duru
Division of General Infernal Medicine Health Services Research, University of California, Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 104:89-95. 2012..We examined whether allostatic load, the physiological profile influenced by repeated or chronic life stressors, is associated with black-white mortality disparities independent of traditional sociobehavioral risk factors...
- The foundation of modern racial categories and implications for research on black/white disparities in healthNina T Harawa
Department of Research, Charles Drew University, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
Ethn Dis 19:209-17. 2009....