Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Outbreak of dengue fever in Palau, Western Pacific: risk factors for infectionDavid A Ashford
Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:135-40. 2003..scutellaris group mosquitoes (Ae. Hensilli, Ae. albopictus, and a native species). This was the first outbreak of dengue 4 virus in the Western Pacific, and the first documented epidemic of dengue in Palau since 1988...
- Medical examiner samples: a source for dengue surveillanceJosé G Rigau-Pérez
Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, PR
P R Health Sci J 25:67-9. 2006..This approach may be a useful alternative for estimating the population prevalence of serologic markers for dengue and other infectious diseases...
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay-format microneutralization test for dengue virusesVance Vorndam
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00920 3860, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:208-12. 2002..The test offers the advantages of ease of performance, ease in the calculation of results, lower cost, and increased speed...
- Molecular evolution of dengue 2 virus in Puerto Rico: positive selection in the viral envelope accompanies clade reintroductionShannon N Bennett
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras, San Juan, PR, USA
J Gen Virol 87:885-93. 2006....
- Risk factors for infection during a dengue-1 outbreak in Maui, Hawaii, 2001John Mosely Hayes
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1324 Calle Cañada, San Juan, PR 00920 3860
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:559-66. 2006..Our data suggest that ecological characteristics may help Hawaii health officials identify communities at increased risk of dengue infection...
- Selection-driven evolution of emergent dengue virusShannon N Bennett
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
Mol Biol Evol 20:1650-8. 2003..Our study therefore demonstrates viral genetic turnover within a focal population and the potential importance of adaptive evolution in viral epidemic expansion...
- Texas lifestyle limits transmission of dengue virusPaul Reiter
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:86-9. 2003..We conclude that the low prevalence of dengue in the United States is primarily due to economic, rather than climatic, factors...
- The reappearance of dengue-3 and a subsequent dengue-4 and dengue-1 epidemic in Puerto Rico in 1998José G Rigau-Pérez
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00920 3860, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:355-62. 2002..The reappearance of DEN-3 and its subsequent circulation from 1999 to 2001 produced no changes in dengue incidence that could have been detected in the absence of virologic surveillance...
- Molecular evolution and phylogeny of dengue type 4 virus in the CaribbeanJerome E Foster
Department of Pre Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies, St Augustine, Trinidad
Virology 306:126-34. 2003..These findings highlight the importance of migration and gene flow in dengue viral change and suggest that efforts to understand disease dynamics in the Caribbean basin need to focus at regional, rather than local scales...
- Dengue fever, Hawaii, 2001-2002Paul V Effler
Disease Outbreak Control Division, Hawaii State Department of Health, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:742-9. 2005..aegypti were found. This outbreak underscores the importance of maintaining surveillance and control of potential disease vectors even in the absence of an imminent disease threat...