Mark J Sotir
Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Travel-associated Dengue illnesses among Wisconsin residents, 2002-2008Mark J Sotir
Bureau of Communicable Diseases, Wisconsin Division of Public Health, Madison, USA
WMJ 108:447-52. 2009..Persons traveling to many tropical regions are at risk for dengue infection. This report retrospectively summarizes travel-associated dengue cases occurring among Wisconsin residents from 2002 through 2008...
- Outbreak of Salmonella Wandsworth and Typhimurium infections in infants and toddlers traced to a commercial vegetable-coated snack foodMark J Sotir
Enteric Diseases Epidemiology Branch, Division of Foodborne, Bacterial, and Mycotic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30306, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:1041-6. 2009..In May 2007, state and local health departments and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigated human infections from Salmonella Wandsworth, an extremely rare serotype...
- A countywide outbreak of pertussis: initial transmission in a high school weight room with subsequent substantial impact on adolescents and adultsMark J Sotir
Bureau of Communicable Diseases and Preparedness, Wisconsin Division of Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53702, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:79-85. 2008..To describe a large communitywide pertussis outbreak where aggressive diagnostic and treatment measures were used to control the outbreak...
- Chikungunya and Dengue Virus Infections Among United States Community Service Volunteers Returning from the Dominican Republic, 2014Alexander J Millman
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Miami, Florida Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado Amigos de las Américas, Houston, Texas Texas Department of State Health Services, Austin, Texas
Am J Trop Med Hyg 94:1336-41. 2016..Clinicians should discuss chikungunya with travelers visiting areas with ongoing CHIKV outbreaks and should consider chikungunya when diagnosing febrile illnesses in travelers returning from affected areas. ..
- Endemic human mosquito-borne disease in Wisconsin residents, 2002-2006Mark J Sotir
Bureau of Communicable Diseases and Preparedness, Wisconsin Division of Public Health, Madison, WI 53702, USA
WMJ 106:185-90. 2007..West Nile virus (WNV) and La Crosse virus (LAC) are the primary mosquito-borne arboviruses associated with human disease in Wisconsin. We examined WNV and LAC human illness surveillance data collected during 2002 through 2006...
- A novel vehicle for transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7 to humans: multistate outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 infections associated with consumption of ready-to-bake commercial prepackaged cookie dough--United States, 2009Karen P Neil
Epidemic Intelligence Service, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:511-8. 2012..coli (STEC) associated with numerous foodborne outbreaks in the United States and is an important cause of bacterial gastrointestinal illness. In May 2009, we investigated a multistate outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 infections...
- Multistate outbreak of Salmonella infections associated with small turtle exposure, 2007-2008Julie R Harris
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30309, USA
Pediatrics 124:1388-94. 2009..In September 2007, several patients with Salmonella enterica serotype Paratyphi B var Java infections reported recent turtle exposure. We conducted an investigation to determine the source and extent of the infections...
- Recent multistate outbreaks of human salmonella infections acquired from turtles: a continuing public health challengeJulie R Harris
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Office of Workforce and Career Development, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA30309, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:554-9. 2010..Additional steps should be considered by the public health community, state governments, and enforcement agencies to prevent turtle-associated Salmonella infections in humans...
- Human multidrug-resistant Salmonella Newport infections, Wisconsin, 2003-2005Amy E Karon
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1777-80. 2007..Persons with multidrug-resistant infections were more likely than persons with susceptible infections to report exposure to cattle, farms, and unpasteurized milk...
- Evidence-based risk assessment and communication: a new global dengue-risk map for travellers and cliniciansEmily S Jentes
Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, 1600 Clifton Road, MS E 03, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Travel Med 23:. 2016..We developed a process to compile evidence, evaluate it and apply more informative risk classifications...
- Pre-travel preparation of US travelers going abroad to provide humanitarian service, Global TravEpiNet 2009-2011Rhett J Stoney
Travelers Health Branch, Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia Department of Quantitative Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts Center for Healthcare Organization and Implementation Research CHOIR, Bedford Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Bedford, Massachusetts Division of Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Am J Trop Med Hyg 90:553-9. 2014..Of HSWs traveling to Haiti during 2010, 5% of travelers did not receive malaria chemoprophylaxis. Coordinated efforts from HSWs, HSW agencies, and clinicians could reduce vaccine coverage gaps and improve use of malaria chemoprophylaxis...
- Tickborne Powassan virus infections among Wisconsin residentsDiep K Hoang Johnson
Bureau of Communicable Diseases and Emergency Response, Wisconsin Division of Public Health, Madison, WI 53701 2659, USA
WMJ 109:91-7. 2010..The first reported case of POWV infection in a Wisconsin resident occurred in 2003. Enhanced surveillance and testing detected 2 additional cases...
- International travellers from New Jersey: piloting a travel health module in the 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System surveyRhett J Stoney
Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA and
J Travel Med 23:. 2016..Our objective was to use this population-based travel health information to serve as a baseline to evaluate trends in US international travellers...
- Possible rabies exposures in Peace Corps volunteers, 2011Kira Harvey
Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia Office of Medical Services, Peace Corps, Washington, District of Columbia Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia Office of Informatics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 90:902-7. 2014..However, this study identified a few gaps in policy implementation. The Peace Corps should continue and strengthen efforts to provide education, preexposure vaccination, and PEP to PCVs...
- Evaluation of polymerase chain reaction and culture for diagnosis of pertussis in the control of a county-wide outbreak focused among adolescents and adultsMark J Sotir
Wisconsin Division of Public Health, Madison, WI 53702, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:1216-9. 2007..PCR and culture of samples obtained < or = 2 weeks after illness onset and PCR of samples obtained > 2 weeks after illness onset proved to be most diagnostically useful...
- Outbreak of salmonellosis linked to live poultry from a mail-order hatcheryNicholas H Gaffga
Division of Foodborne, Waterborne, and Environmental Diseases, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
N Engl J Med 366:2065-73. 2012..In 2005, a cluster of human salmonella Montevideo infections with a rare pattern on pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (the outbreak strain) was identified by PulseNet, a national subtyping network...
- A cluster of dengue cases in American missionaries returning from Haiti, 2010Tyler M Sharp
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:16-22. 2012..Travelers to DENV-endemic areas should receive dengue education during pre-travel health consultations, follow mosquito avoidance recommendations, and seek medical care for febrile illness during or after travel...
- Occupational risks during a monkeypox outbreak, Wisconsin, 2003Donita R Croft
Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1150-7. 2007..04). Having never handled an ill prairie dog (p = 0.004) was protective. Veterinary staff used personal protective equipment sporadically. Our findings underscore the importance of standard veterinary infection-control guidelines...
- Interagency and Commercial Collaboration During an Investigation of Chikungunya and Dengue Among Returning Travelers to the United StatesEmily S Jentes
Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia
Am J Trop Med Hyg . 2016....
- Clostridium perfringens infections initially attributed to norovirus, North Carolina, 2010Natalie J M Dailey
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 55:568-70. 2012..This investigation illustrates the importance of considering epidemiologic and laboratory data together when evaluating potential etiologic agents that might require unique control measures...
- Characteristics and spectrum of disease among ill returned travelers from pre- and post-earthquake Haiti: The GeoSentinel experienceDouglas H Esposito
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:23-8. 2012..For travel to Haiti, focus should be on mosquito-borne illnesses (dengue and P. falciparum malaria) and travelers' diarrhea...
- Molecular surveillance of shiga toxigenic Escherichia coli O157 by PulseNet USAPeter Gerner-Smidt
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center of Infectious Diseases, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Food Prot 68:1926-31. 2005..Ten food isolates submitted without suspicion of an association to human disease matched human isolates in the database, and an epidemiologic link to human cases was established for six of them...