Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Global trends in candidemia: review of reports from 1995-2005Juliette Morgan
Mycotic Disease Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Curr Infect Dis Rep 7:429-39. 2005..Surveillance to monitor the burden of disease and emergence of resistance, among the general patient population and among high risk patient populations, should be continued...
- Excess mortality, hospital stay, and cost due to candidemia: a case-control study using data from population-based candidemia surveillanceJuliette Morgan
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:540-7. 2005..Prior studies lack broad patient and hospital representation or cost-related information that accurately reflects current medical practices...
- A large outbreak of histoplasmosis among American travelers associated with a hotel in Acapulco, Mexico, spring 2001Juliette Morgan
Mycotic Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:663-9. 2003..7-30.5; P < 0.001). This is the first histoplasmosis outbreak associated with a hotel undergoing construction. Hotels in endemic areas should consider construction precaution measures to prevent histoplasmosis among their guests...
- Myocarditis, pericarditis, and dilated cardiomyopathy after smallpox vaccination among civilians in the United States, January-October 2003Juliette Morgan
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and 2Department of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S242-50. 2008..We describe an association between smallpox vaccination, using the US vaccinia strain, and myo/pericarditis among civilians...
- Incidence of bloodstream infections due to Candida species and in vitro susceptibilities of isolates collected from 1998 to 2000 in a population-based active surveillance programRana A Hajjeh
Mycotic Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:1519-27. 2004..7% of isolates, and > or = 2 microg/ml for 0.4% of isolates. Our findings highlight changes in the epidemiology of Candida BSI in the 1990s and provide a basis upon which to conduct further studies of selected high-risk subpopulations...
- Epidemiologic and molecular characterization of an outbreak of Candida parapsilosis bloodstream infections in a community hospitalThomas A Clark
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Epidemiology Program Office, Division of Applied Public Health Training, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:4468-72. 2004..parapsilosis bloodstream infections in adults resulted from an interplay of host, environment, and pathogen factors. Recommendations for control measures focused on improving hand hygiene compliance...
- Ischemic cardiac events during the Department of Health and Human Services Smallpox Vaccination Program, 2003David L Swerdlow
Smallpox Vaccine Adverse Events Monitoring and Response Activity, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S234-41. 2008..10; 95% PI, 3.5-15.7). After persons with >/=3 cardiac risk factors or known heart disease were deferred from vaccination, no ICEs were reported among an additional 6638 vaccinees...
- Outbreak of invasive aspergillosis among renal transplant recipientsAnil A Panackal
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Transplantation 75:1050-3. 2003..This study suggests that immunosuppressed RTRs can be at an increased risk for IA. Measures to prevent IA in these patients should be taken during hospital construction...
- Skin disorders among construction workers following Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita: an outbreak investigation in New Orleans, LouisianaRebecca Noe
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Arch Dermatol 143:1393-8. 2007....
- Coccidioidomycosis among workers at an archeological site, northeastern UtahLyle R Petersen
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Ft Collins, Colorado, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:637-42. 2004..This outbreak documents a new endemic focus of coccidioidomycosis, which extends northward its known geographic distribution in Utah by approximately 200 miles...
- Automatic electronic laboratory-based reporting of notifiable infectious diseases at a large health systemAnil A Panackal
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:685-91. 2002..Automatic reporting was more rapid and as complete as conventional reporting. Using standardized coding and minimizing free text usage will increase the completeness of electronic laboratory-based reporting...
- Implications of detecting the mold Syncephalastrum in clinical specimens of New Orleans residents after Hurricanes Katrina and RitaCarol Y Rao
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Occup Environ Med 49:411-6. 2007..Only one patient reported significant exposure to mold (working on mold remediation without wearing a respirator) on the day of his incident culture...
- Cryptococcus gattii infection: characteristics and epidemiology of cases identified in a South African province with high HIV seroprevalence, 2002-2004Juliette Morgan
Mycotic Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:1077-80. 2006..gattii infection with regard to clinical presentation, acquired immunodeficiency syndrome diagnosis, concomitant conditions, or prior opportunistic infections. C. gattii isolates had low MICs to the tested antifungal drugs...
- Prevalence of malaria among patients attending public health facilities in Maputo City, MozambiqueAlexandre Macedo de Oliveira
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:1002-7. 2011..We found a high prevalence of laboratory-confirmed malaria among febrile patients in Maputo City. Further studies are needed to relate these findings with mosquito density to better support malaria prevention and control...
- Mold prevention strategies and possible health effects in the aftermath of hurricanes and major floodsMary Brandt
National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 55:1-27. 2006..Such a surveillance program will help CDC and state and local public health officials refine the guidelines for exposure avoidance, personal protection, and clean-up and assist health departments to identify unrecognized hazards...
- Adverse events associated with smallpox vaccination in the United States, January-October 2003Christine G Casey
Smallpox Vaccine Adverse Event Monitoring and Response Activity, Epidemiology and Surveillance Division, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 294:2734-43. 2005....
- Outbreak of leptospirosis among triathlon participants and community residents in Springfield, Illinois, 1998Juliette Morgan
Meningitis and Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1593-9. 2002..Health care providers and occupational and recreational users of bodies of freshwater in the United States should be aware of the risk of contracting leptospirosis, particularly after heavy rains...
- Epidemiology of candidemia in Brazil: a nationwide sentinel surveillance of candidemia in eleven medical centersArnaldo L Colombo
Division of Infectious Diseases, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Botucatu 740, 04023 062 Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Microbiol 44:2816-23. 2006..Antifungal resistance was rare, but correlation between fluconazole and voriconazole MICs suggests cross-resistance may occur...
- Population-based surveillance for cryptococcosis in an antiretroviral-naive South African province with a high HIV seroprevalenceKerrigan M McCarthy
Mycology Reference Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, National Health Laboratory Service, Division of Virology and Communicable Diseases Surveillance, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg 2000, South Africa
AIDS 20:2199-206. 2006..To measure the burden of disease and describe the epidemiology of cryptococcosis in Gauteng Province, South Africa...
- Excess costs of hospital care associated with neonatal candidemiaP Brian Smith
Department of Pediatrics, 3179 Duke University Medical Center, Durham NC, 27710, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:197-200. 2007..Candida is an increasingly important nosocomial pathogen within intensive care nurseries. The purpose of this study was to determine the attributable cost of candidemia in neonates...
- Epidemiology and predictors of mortality in cases of Candida bloodstream infection: results from population-based surveillance, barcelona, Spain, from 2002 to 2003Benito Almirante
Infectious Diseases Division, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Avda Vall d Hebron, 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 43:1829-35. 2005..Antifungal medication and catheter removal are critical in preventing mortality...
- Prevalence and susceptibility profile of Candida metapsilosis and Candida orthopsilosis: results from population-based surveillance of candidemia in SpainA Gomez-Lopez
Servicio de Micologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1506-9. 2008..The prevalences of these species (1.7% for C. metapsilosis and 1.4% for C. orthopsilosis) are significant. Differences observed in their susceptibility profiles could have therapeutic importance...
- In vitro susceptibilities of bloodstream isolates of Candida species to six antifungal agents: results from a population-based active surveillance programme, Barcelona, Spain, 2002-2003Manuel Cuenca-Estrella
Servicio de Micologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra Majadahonda Pozuelo km 2, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:194-9. 2005....