Jeffrey A Johnson
Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Expression of a recombinant gag protein from endogenous avian virus and its use in screening for antibody reactivity in recipients of chick-derived vaccinesJeffrey A Johnson
HIV and Retrovirology Branch, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Vaccine 21:3738-45. 2003..The results support a lack of EAV infection in the vaccine recipients...
- Simple PCR assays improve the sensitivity of HIV-1 subtype B drug resistance testing and allow linking of resistance mutationsJeffrey A Johnson
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV ADS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e638. 2007..Sensitive detection of drug-resistant subpopulations, however, requires simple and practical methods for routine testing...
- Minority HIV-1 drug resistance mutations are present in antiretroviral treatment-naïve populations and associate with reduced treatment efficacyJeffrey A Johnson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Med 5:e158. 2008..We used sensitive and simple tests to investigate evidence of transmitted drug resistance in antiretroviral drug-naïve persons and assess the clinical implications of minority drug-resistant variants...
- Alpha interferon augments cidofovir's antiviral and antiproliferative activitiesJeffrey A Johnson
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Medicine and the Greenville Hospital System Biomedical Cooperative, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina 29634, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2022-6. 2003..Evaluation of effective drug ratios revealed a synergistic cooperation between IFN-alpha 2a and cidofovir in inhibiting the proliferation of HPV-infected cells...
- Emergence of drug-resistant HIV-1 after intrapartum administration of single-dose nevirapine is substantially underestimatedJeffrey A Johnson
Laboratory Branch, National Center for HIV, STD, and Tuberculosis Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 192:16-23. 2005..These findings indicate that resistance mutations emerged in at least 65% of the women after SD-NVP and emphasize the importance of further research to determine the clinical implications...
- Low-frequency HIV-1 drug resistance mutations can be clinically significant but must be interpreted with cautionJeffrey A Johnson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1322-6. 2010..Paramount to interpreting the clinical utility of sensitive testing is evaluating resistance mutations selectively, at biologically significant frequencies, and using methods that have been broadly validated on clinical specimens...
- Detection of low-level K65R variants in nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-naive chronic and acute HIV-1 subtype C infectionsJin fen Li
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 203:798-802. 2011..The frequent appearance of subtype C frameshift deletions at codon 65 supports a propensity for transcription error in this region...
- Addition of 7 days of zidovudine plus lamivudine to peripartum single-dose nevirapine effectively reduces nevirapine resistance postpartum in HIV-infected mothers in MalawiSherry L Farr
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30345, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 54:515-23. 2010..We assessed whether 7 days of zidovudine + lamivudine postpartum with single-dose nevirapine at labor decreases nevirapine resistance in HIV-infected women in Malawi...
- Sensitive tenofovir resistance screening of HIV-1 from the genital and blood compartments of women with breakthrough infections in the CAPRISA 004 tenofovir gel trialXierong Wei
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia
J Infect Dis 209:1916-20. 2014..The absence of mutation detection suggested little immediate risk of tenofovir-resistant HIV-1 emergence and forward transmission in settings in which gel users are closely monitored for HIV seroconversion. ..
- CD4(+) cell count, viral load, and drug resistance patterns among heterosexual breakthrough HIV infections in a study of oral preexposure prophylaxisLovemore I Chirwa
aCDC BOTUSA, Gaborone, Botswana bDivision of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
AIDS 28:223-6. 2014..Of the four participants who seroconverted on-study while receiving tenofovir/emtricitabine, none became infected as a result of drug-resistant HIV; moreover, no resistance mutations emerged following seroconversion. ..
- Prevention of rectal SHIV transmission in macaques by daily or intermittent prophylaxis with emtricitabine and tenofovirJ Gerardo Garcia-Lerma
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
PLoS Med 5:e28. 2008..We evaluated daily and intermittent PrEP regimens of increasing antiviral activity in a macaque model that closely resembles human transmission...
- Minority HIV mutation detection in dried blood spots indicates high specimen integrity and reveals hidden archived drug resistanceXierong Wei
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Centers for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, NE, MS G45 Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Virol 50:148-52. 2011..Dried blood spots (DBS) could serve as an attractive, cost-effective alternative to plasma for HIV drug resistance testing...
- A rapid and sensitive real-time PCR assay for the K65R drug resistance mutation in SIV reverse transcriptaseJeffrey A Johnson
National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:912-6. 2006..4% and 3%, below the detection capability of population sequencing. We propose the SIV K65R real-time PCR assay provides improved sensitivity and simplicity in studying tenofovir resistance in macaque models...
- Evaluation of the CDC proposed laboratory HIV testing algorithm among men who have sex with men (MSM) from five US metropolitan statistical areas using specimens collected in 2011Silvina Masciotra
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, United States Electronic address
J Clin Virol 58:e8-e12. 2013..Discordant results in the proposed algorithm are resolved by nucleic acid-amplification testing (NAAT)...
- Identification and characterization of avian retroviruses in chicken embryo-derived yellow fever vaccines: investigation of transmission to vaccine recipientsAlthaf I Hussain
HIV and Retrovirology Branch, Division of AIDS, STD, and TB Laboratory Research, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Virol 77:1105-11. 2003..The absence of evidence of infection with ALV-E or EAV in 43 YF vaccine recipients suggests low risks for transmission of these viruses, further supporting the safety of these vaccines...
- HIV reverse-transcriptase drug resistance mutations during early infection reveal greater transmission diversity than in envelope sequencesJonathan T Lipscomb
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia
J Infect Dis 210:1827-37. 2014..We screened for DRMs during early-acute viremia and examined the diversity in reverse transcriptase (RT) relative to envelope (env) in cases of transmitted drug resistance...
- Antiretroviral preexposure prophylaxis for heterosexual HIV transmission in BotswanaMichael C Thigpen
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 367:423-34. 2012..Preexposure prophylaxis with antiretroviral agents has been shown to reduce the transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) among men who have sex with men; however, the efficacy among heterosexuals is uncertain...
- Prevalence of transmitted drug resistance associated mutations and HIV-1 subtypes in new HIV-1 diagnoses, U.S.-2006William H Wheeler
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS 24:1203-12. 2010..To determine the distribution of HIV-1 subtypes and the prevalence of transmitted drug resistance-associated mutations (TDRM) among persons newly diagnosed with HIV-1 infection in the United States...
- Physical activity levels and differences in the prevalence of diabetes between the United States and CanadaXuanping Zhang
Division of Diabetes Translation, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Prev Med 50:241-5. 2010..To examine the American-Canadian difference in physical activity and its association with diabetes prevalence...
- Sequential emergence and clinical implications of viral mutants with K70E and K65R mutation in reverse transcriptase during prolonged tenofovir monotherapy in rhesus macaques with chronic RT-SHIV infectionKoen K A Van Rompay
California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, USA
Retrovirology 4:25. 2007..Accordingly, to model HIV-1 RT responses, 12 macaques were inoculated with RT-SHIV, a chimeric SIV containing HIV-1 RT, and started on prolonged tenofovir therapy 5 months later...
- Structured treatment interruptions with tenofovir monotherapy for simian immunodeficiency virus-infected newborn macaquesKoen K A Van Rompay
California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Virol 80:6399-410. 2006....
- The natural history of LDL control in type 2 diabetes: a prospective study of adherence to lipid guidelinesDiana Rucker
University of Alberta, 2E3 07 Walter Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, University of Alberta Hospital, 8440 112th St, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Care 29:2506-8. 2006
- History of depression increases risk of type 2 diabetes in younger adultsLauren C Brown
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, 1200 10405 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5J 3N4
Diabetes Care 28:1063-7. 2005..The purpose of this study was to assess the history of previous depression in people with incident diabetes compared with people without diabetes...
- Lack of insurance coverage for testing supplies is associated with poorer glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetesSamantha L Bowker
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, AB
CMAJ 171:39-43. 2004..We sought to determine if insured patients were more likely than uninsured patients to use self-monitoring and whether they had better glycemic control...
- Targeted disruption of Nrf2 causes regenerative immune-mediated hemolytic anemiaJong Min Lee
School of Pharmacy, Molecular and Environmental Toxicology Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9751-6. 2004....
- Development and validation of a survey to assess barriers to drug use in patients with chronic heart failureScot H Simpson
Institute of Health Economics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 22:1163-72. 2002..Conclusion. The BMU survey demonstrated reasonable reliability and validity characteristics in this first clinical experience. Despite high adherence, patients still reported barriers that may hinder optimal drug use...
- Construct validity of the RAND-12 and Health Utilities Index Mark 2 and 3 in type 2 diabetesSheri L Maddigan
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Qual Life Res 13:435-48. 2004..To assess the cross-sectional construct validity of the RAND-12 and the Health Utilities Index Mark 2 (HUI2) and Mark 3 (HUI3) in type 2 diabetes...
- A comparison of the health utilities indices Mark 2 and Mark 3 in type 2 diabetesSheri L Maddigan
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Med Decis Making 23:489-501. 2003..The HU12 and HUI3 were self-administered to 372 community-dwelling individuals with type 2 diabetes...
- Genetic programming by the proteolytic fragments of the amyloid precursor protein: somewhere between confusion and clarityThor D Stein
Neuroscience Training Program, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705 2222, USA
Rev Neurosci 14:317-41. 2003..In fact, the gene expression changes driven by sAPPalpha, such as increases in transthyretin and insulin-like growth factor 2, may protect these mice from high levels of Abeta...
- Shifting from inpatient to outpatient treatment of deep vein thrombosis in a tertiary care center: a cost-minimization analysisMichel Boucher
Department of Pharmacy, Ottawa Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 23:301-9. 2003..To compare the cost of contemporary outpatient and historical inpatient management of proximal lower limb deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in adults...
- A cross-sectional study of health-related quality of life deficits in individuals with comorbid diabetes and cancerSamantha L Bowker
Department of Public Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, 13 103 Clinical Sciences Building, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2G3, Canada
Health Qual Life Outcomes 4:17. 2006..We assessed the HRQL burden in patients with these comorbid conditions, postulating that they would have even greater HRQL deficits...
- Health Utilities Index mark 3 demonstrated construct validity in a population-based sample with type 2 diabetesSheri L Maddigan
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 59:472-7. 2006..To assess the cross-sectional construct validity of the Health Utilities Index mark 3 (HUI3) in type 2 diabetes using population health survey data...
- Nrf transcription factors in keratinocytes are essential for skin tumor prevention but not for wound healingUlrich auf dem Keller
Institute of Cell Biology, Department of Biology, ETH Zurich, Honggerberg, HPM D42, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 26:3773-84. 2006....
- Electrophilic chemicals but not UV irradiation or reactive oxygen species activate Nrf2 in keratinocytes in vitro and in vivoMoritz Durchdewald
Department of Biology, Institute of Cell Biology, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Invest Dermatol 127:646-53. 2007..Electrophiles but not UVB activated the reporter in an Nrf2-dependent manner. These results provide the basis for the identification of novel Nrf2 activators in keratinocytes with therapeutic potential for skin tumor prevention...
- Accelerated Abeta deposition in APPswe/PS1deltaE9 mice with hemizygous deletions of TTR (transthyretin)Se Hoon Choi
Committee on Neurobiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Neurosci 27:7006-10. 2007..Moreover, Abeta deposition is significantly accelerated in the hippocampus and cortex of ceAPPswe/PS1deltaE9/TTR+/- mice. Our results strongly suggest that TTR plays a critical role in modulating Abeta deposition in vivo...
- Longitudinal validation of a modified Edmonton symptom assessment system (ESAS) in haemodialysis patientsSara N Davison
Division of Nephrology and Immunology, Department of Public Health Sciences, Institute of Health Economics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, T6G 2G3
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:3189-95. 2006..This study examines the longitudinal validity of the modified Edmonton symptom assessment system (ESAS) to determine the impact of change in symptom burden on the change in HRQL of haemodialysis (HD) patients...
- How evidence-based are the recommendations in evidence-based guidelines?Finlay A McAlister
The Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
PLoS Med 4:e250. 2007..This study was done to evaluate the quality of the evidence (based on consideration of its internal validity, clinical relevance, and applicability) underlying therapy recommendations in evidence-based clinical practice guidelines...
- Physical activity level and health-related quality of life in the general adult population: a systematic reviewRaphael Bize
Centre for Health Promotion Studies, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Prev Med 45:401-15. 2007..Little is known regarding health-related quality of life and its relation with physical activity level in the general population. Our primary objective was to systematically review data examining this relationship...
- Type of antidepressant therapy and risk of type 2 diabetes in people with depressionLauren C Brown
School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 79:61-7. 2008..The objective of this study was to evaluate the differential risk of diabetes among people with depression taking antidepressant therapy...
- Role of Nrf2-dependent ARE-driven antioxidant pathway in neuroprotectionJiang Li
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Methods Mol Biol 399:67-78. 2007..The details for generating Nrf2-overexpressing astrocytes and grafting them onto the lesion model are described in this chapter...
- Development of oxidative stress by cytochrome P450 induction in rodents is selective for barbiturates and related to loss of pyridine nucleotide-dependent protective systemsMiroslav Dostalek
Department of Biochemistry, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, and Center in Molecular Toxicology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 0146, USA
J Biol Chem 283:17147-57. 2008..These multiple effects on the protective systems are proposed to be more important than P450 induction in oxidative stress and emphasize the importance of studying in vivo models...
- Dialysis adequacy and health related quality of life in hemodialysis patientsBraden J Manns
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ASAIO J 48:565-9. 2002..Dialysis adequacy was significantly associated with HRQOL in hemodialysis patients. Controlled studies that examine the effect of increasing Kt/V on HRQOL are needed...