L M Graves
Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Short-term genome evolution of Listeria monocytogenes in a non-controlled environmentRenato H Orsi
Department of Food Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
BMC Genomics 9:539. 2008..While a genome sequence for the 1988 food isolate has been reported, we sequenced the genomes of the 1988 human isolate as well as a human and a food isolate from the 2000 outbreak to allow for comparative genome analyses...
- PulseNet standardized protocol for subtyping Listeria monocytogenes by macrorestriction and pulsed-field gel electrophoresisL M Graves
Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Int J Food Microbiol 65:55-62. 2001..We describe a standardized molecular subtyping protocol for subtyping Listeria monocytogenes that was recently added to PulseNet. The subtyping can be completed within 30 h from the time a pure culture of the bacteria is obtained...
- Microbiological aspects of the investigation that traced the 1998 outbreak of listeriosis in the United States to contaminated hot dogs and establishment of molecular subtyping-based surveillance for Listeria monocytogenes in the PulseNet networkLewis M Graves
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Mail Stop CO3, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:2350-5. 2005..monocytogenes by PFGE was developed and disseminated to public health laboratories participating with CDC's PulseNet network; these laboratories were requested to begin routine PFGE subtyping of L. monocytogenes...
- Molecular subtyping of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B: comparison of five methodsB Swaminathan
Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 34:1468-73. 1996..PFGE, MEE, and ribotyping showed greater discriminatory abilities than MAb-based serotyping and serosubtyping or ITS PCR-RFLP...
- Listeria marthii sp. nov., isolated from the natural environment, Finger Lakes National ForestLewis M Graves
Enteric Diseases Laboratory Branch and Bacterial Zoonoses Branch, Division of Foodborne, Bacterial, and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Coordinating Center for Infectious Disease, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 60:1280-8. 2010..nov. is proposed. The type strain of L. marthii is FSL S4-120(T) (=ATCC BAA-1595(T) =BEIR NR 9579(T) =CCUG 56148(T)). L. marthii has not been associated with human or animal disease at this time...
- Reduction in the incidence of invasive listeriosis in foodborne diseases active surveillance network sites, 1996-2003Andrew C Voetsch
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:513-20. 2007..Listeriosis is a leading cause of death among patients with foodborne diseases in the United States. Monitoring disease incidence is an important element of listeriosis surveillance and control...
- Multistate outbreak of Listeriosis linked to turkey deli meat and subsequent changes in US regulatory policySami L Gottlieb
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:29-36. 2006..Between July and October 2002, an uncommon strain of L. monocytogenes caused an outbreak of listeriosis in 9 states...
- Outbreak of listeriosis among Mexican immigrants as a result of consumption of illicitly produced Mexican-style cheesePia D M MacDonald
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Epidemiology Program Office, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:677-82. 2005..The objectives of the present study were to identify the source of, strains associated with, and risk factors for Listeria monocytogenes infection for patients affected by the outbreak...
- WHO-sponsored international collaborative study to evaluate methods for subtyping Listeria monocytogenes: restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis using ribotyping and Southern hybridization with two probes derived from L. monocytogenes chB Swaminathan
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Int J Food Microbiol 32:263-78. 1996..Inter-laboratory reproducibilities were generally very good considering that no attempt was made to standardize protocols used by the participants...
- Re-evaluation, optimization, and multilaboratory validation of the PulseNet-standardized pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocol for Listeria monocytogenesJessica L Halpin
Enteric Diseases Laboratory Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Foodborne Pathog Dis 7:293-8. 2010..The modifications not only represent an improvement to the protocol but also describe procedural improvements that could be potentially applied to the PFGE analysis of other Gram-positive organisms...
- Multicenter validation of a multiplex PCR assay for differentiating the major Listeria monocytogenes serovars 1/2a, 1/2b, 1/2c, and 4b: toward an international standardMichel Doumith
Laboratoire des Listeria, Centre National de Référence des Listeria, World Health Organisation Collaborating Center for Foodborne Listeriosis, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Food Prot 68:2648-50. 2005..Overall concordance was 96.6 to 100%, sufficient for the assay to be used as an alternative to serotyping and confidently applied in laboratories involved in L. monocytogenes typing...
- Genetic markers unique to Listeria monocytogenes serotype 4b differentiate epidemic clone II (hot dog outbreak strains) from other lineagesMatthew R Evans
Department of Food Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:2383-90. 2004..Although the mechanisms that drive this divergence remain to be identified, DNA-based tools from this region can facilitate the detection and further characterization of strains belonging to this lineage...