Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Adverse events associated with smallpox vaccination in the United States, January-October 2003Christine G Casey
Smallpox Vaccine Adverse Event Monitoring and Response Activity, Epidemiology and Surveillance Division, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 294:2734-43. 2005....
- Surveillance guidelines for smallpox vaccine (vaccinia) adverse reactionsChristine Casey
Immunization Safety Office, Office of the Chief Science Officer, Office of the Director, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 55:1-16. 2006..The smallpox vaccine surveillance case definitions presented in the report can be used in future vaccination programs to ensure uniform reporting guidelines and case classification...
- Myocarditis, pericarditis, and dilated cardiomyopathy after smallpox vaccination among civilians in the United States, January-October 2003Juliette Morgan
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and 2Department of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S242-50. 2008..We describe an association between smallpox vaccination, using the US vaccinia strain, and myo/pericarditis among civilians...
- Promise of new Japanese encephalitis vaccinesMarc Fischer
National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
Lancet 370:1806-8. 2007
- Safety profile of smallpox vaccine: insights from the laboratory worker smallpox vaccination programJames Baggs
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Immunization Program, Epidemiology and Surveillance Division, Immunization Safety Branch, 1600 Clifton Rd, Mailstop E61, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:1133-40. 2005..This report describes the frequency of such symptoms among 936 adult smallpox vaccinees with and without a history of prior smallpox vaccination...
- Dermatological lesions near the smallpox vaccination site after scab detachmentAndrew Kroger
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:S227-33. 2008..Lesions were heterogeneous in morphology, clinical appearance, and histology. The evidence from our case series and follow-up suggests that these lesions are self-limited, without significant clinical sequelae...
- Superinfection following smallpox vaccination (Vaccinia), United States: surveillance January 2003 through January 2004Claudia Vellozzi
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1660-6. 2004..Superinfection is an adverse event following smallpox vaccination. The clinical presentation is similar to that of a large normal vaccine reaction or "robust take," and the frequency is unknown...
- Yellow fever vaccine-associated viscerotropic disease (YEL-AVD) and corticosteroid therapy: eleven United States cases, 1996-2004Claudia Vellozzi
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:333-6. 2006..The use of stress-dose steroids might be a factor that influenced the survival of these YEL-AVD patients and should be further evaluated in the management of both YEL-AVD and wild-type yellow fever septic shock...
- Generalized vaccinia, progressive vaccinia, and eczema vaccinatum are rare following smallpox (vaccinia) vaccination: United States surveillance, 2003Claudia Vellozzi
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:689-97. 2005..GV may be difficult to distinguish from other rashes, and confirmatory testing is recommended. Careful prevaccination screening probably contributed to the low incidence of these adverse reactions following smallpox vaccination...
- Active telephone surveillance to evaluate adverse events among civilian smallpox vaccine recipientsArnulfo A Muralles
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vaccine 24:476-84. 2006..Better characterize and monitor adverse events following Dryvax vaccinia vaccination in civilian health care workers and other first responders...
- Recommendations for using smallpox vaccine in a pre-event vaccination program. Supplemental recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC)Melinda Wharton
Epidemiology and Surveillance Division, National Center for Infectious Diseases, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 52:1-16. 2003..Revised recommendations will be developed as needed...
- Smallpox vaccination and adverse reactions. Guidance for cliniciansJoanne Cono
Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Program, National Center for Infectious Diseases, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 52:1-28. 2003..asp. Physicians at military medical facilities can request VIG or cidofovir by calling the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) at 301-619-2257 or 888-USA-RIID...
- The ocular complications of smallpox and smallpox immunizationJanine A Smith
Arch Ophthalmol 122:1407; author reply 1407-8. 2004