Affiliation: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Community perceptions of bloody diarrhoea in an urban slum in South Asia: implications for introduction of a Shigella vaccineW Arvelo
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 139:599-605. 2011..While respondents valued a vaccine for prevention of bloody diarrhoea, they were only willing to pay minimally for it. Therefore, achieving a high rate of Shigella vaccine coverage may require subsidy of vaccine purchase...
- Case-control study to determine risk factors for diarrhea among children during a large outbreak in a country with a high prevalence of HIV infectionWences Arvelo
Epidemic Intelligence Service, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
Int J Infect Dis 14:e1002-7. 2010..We conducted an investigation to characterize the outbreak, identify risk factors for diarrhea, and recommend control strategies...
- Hospitalization and mortality among primarily nonbreastfed children during a large outbreak of diarrhea and malnutrition in Botswana, 2006Tracy L Creek
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Global AIDS Program, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Mailstop E 04, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:14-9. 2010..Botswana has high HIV prevalence among pregnant women (33.4% in 2005), and an estimated 35% of all infants under the age of 6 months are not breastfed...
- Surveillance for hospitalized acute respiratory infection in GuatemalaJennifer R Verani
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e83600. 2013..These data, which demonstrate a substantial burden of hospitalized ARI in Guatemala due to a variety of pathogens, can help guide public health policies aimed at reducing the burden of illness and death due to respiratory infections. ..
- Population-based study of a widespread outbreak of diarrhea associated with increased mortality and malnutrition in Botswana, January-March, 2006Ondrej Mach
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:812-8. 2009..This survey highlights the need for safe infant feeding and effective treatment of malnutrition and diarrhea in young children...
- Clinical assessment of self-reported acute flaccid paralysis in a population-based setting in GuatemalaJames J Sejvar
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic and Vector Borne Diseases NCZVED, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:712-6. 2010..Usual surveillance methods for AFP, particularly in developing countries, may underestimate the true burden of non-poliovirus AFP...
- A comparison of the epidemiology and clinical presentation of seasonal influenza A and 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in GuatemalaKim A Lindblade
Division of Global Disease Detection and Emergency Response, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15826. 2010..We compare the epidemiology and clinical presentation of seasonal influenza A (H1N1 and H3N2) and 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) (pH1N1) using a prospective surveillance system for acute respiratory disease in Guatemala...
- Burden of laboratory-confirmed Campylobacter infections in Guatemala 2008-2012: results from a facility-based surveillance systemStephen R Benoit
Global Disease Detection Program, Division of Global Disease Detection and Emergency Response, Center for Global Health, CDC, Atlanta, GA, USA Electronic address
J Epidemiol Glob Health 4:51-9. 2014..Campylobacteriosis is one of the leading causes of gastroenteritis worldwide. This study describes the epidemiology of laboratory-confirmed Campylobacter diarrheal infections in two facility-based surveillance sites in Guatemala...
- Rotavirus disease burden among children <5 years of age--Santa Rosa, Guatemala, 2007-2009Jennifer Cortes
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Office of Workforce and Career Development, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Trop Med Int Health 17:254-9. 2012..To assess the burden of rotavirus disease in Guatemala, in view of the recent introduction of a national rotavirus vaccination programme...
- The epidemiology and clinical characteristics of young children hospitalized with respiratory syncytial virus infections in Guatemala (2007-2010)Gayle Fischer Langley
Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunizations and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 32:629-35. 2013..We report population-based incidence rates and describe epidemiological and clinical characteristics of children <5 years old hospitalized with RSV infections in Guatemala...
- Typhoid fever outbreak associated with frozen mamey pulp imported from Guatemala to the western United States, 2010Anagha Loharikar
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 55:61-6. 2012..Fifty-four outbreaks of domestically acquired typhoid fever were reported between 1960 and 1999. In 2010, the Southern Nevada Health District detected an outbreak of typhoid fever among persons who had not recently travelled abroad...
- Transmission risk factors and treatment of pediatric shigellosis during a large daycare center-associated outbreak of multidrug resistant Shigella sonnei: implications for the management of shigellosis outbreaks among childrenWences Arvelo
Enteric Diseases Epidemiology Branch, Division of Foodborne, Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vectorborne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30329 4018, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:976-80. 2009..From May to October 2005, 639 Shigella sonnei cases were reported in northwest Missouri, mostly among persons exposed to daycare centers...