Janice G Douglas
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Barriers to blood pressure control in African Americans. Overcoming obstacles is challenging, but target goals can be attainedJanice G Douglas
Division of Hypertension, Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Room W165, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106 4982, USA
Postgrad Med 112:51-2, 55, 59-62 passim. 2002..When extensive efforts to achieve blood pressure control prove unattainable in the primary care setting, consultation with a hypertension specialist should be considered...
- Management of high blood pressure in African Americans: consensus statement of the Hypertension in African Americans Working Group of the International Society on Hypertension in BlacksJanice G Douglas
Case Western Reserve University, Department of Medicine, Room W 165, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:525-41. 2003
- Cardiovascular risk reduction in hypertensive black patients with left ventricular hypertrophy: the LIFE studyStevo Julius
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypertension, University of Michigan Medical Center, 3918 Taubman Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0356, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:1047-55. 2004..We report on a subanalysis of the effects of losartan and atenolol on cardiovascular events in black patients in the Losartan Intervention For Endpoint reduction in hypertension (LIFE) study...
- Clinical guidelines for the treatment of hypertension in African AmericansJanice G Douglas
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 5:1-6. 2005....
- Determinants of salt sensitivity in black and white normotensive and hypertensive womenJackson T Wright
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Louis Stokes Cleveland VAMC, 11100 Euclid Ave, RB and C 7311, Cleveland, OH 44106 5041, USA
Hypertension 42:1087-92. 2003..In AA but not in whites, SS is positively associated with Na+i, Ca2+i, and the ratios of Na+i to K+i and of Ca2+i to Mg2+i...
- Gbeta gamma -independent constitutive association of Galpha s with SHP-1 and angiotensin II receptor AT2 is essential in AT2-mediated ITIM-independent activation of SHP-1Ying Hong Feng
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, and University Hospital of Cleveland, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4982, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12049-54. 2002..The AT(2)-mediated ITIM-independent activation of SHP-1 that is distinct from the conventional mode of activation, may represent a general paradigm for activation of SHP-1/2-class tyrosine phosphatases by G protein-coupled receptors...
- Cyclic stretch-induced cPLA2 mediates ERK 1/2 signaling in rabbit proximal tubule cellsLarry D Alexander
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4982, USA
Kidney Int 65:551-63. 2004..The rational for studying kidney epithelial cells relates to their similarity to podocytes, which undergo mechanical stretch related to changes in intraglomerular pressure...
- ACE inhibition is effective and renoprotective in hypertensive nephrosclerosis: the African American Study of Kidney Disease and Hypertension (AASK) trialJanice G Douglas
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Kidney Int Suppl . 2003..The data suggest that DHP-CCBs should be used with caution in the presence of mild-to-moderate renal insufficiency...
- Successful blood pressure control in the African American Study of Kidney Disease and HypertensionJackson T Wright
Department of Medicine, Division of Hypertension, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Wood Bldg, Room W 165, Cleveland, OH 44106 4982, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:1636-43. 2002..The African American Study of Kidney Disease and Hypertension (AASK) is an ongoing trial to evaluate the effect of blood pressure and choice of antihypertensive drug on the rate of decline of renal function...
- Growth, immortalization, and differentiation potential of normal adult human proximal tubule cellsDavid E Orosz
Department of Physiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4970, USA
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 40:22-34. 2004....
- Oxidative signaling in renal epithelium: Critical role of cytosolic phospholipase A2 and p38(SAPK)Xiao lan Cui
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 41:213-21. 2006..In addition, p38(SAPK) provides a positive input to both growth and antiapoptotic signaling pathways induced by acute oxidative stress...
- The rationale and design of the AASK cohort studyLawrence J Appel
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, 21205, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:S166-72. 2003..Such results might eventually lead to new strategies that delay or prevent ESRD...
- Hypertension-related disease in African Americans. Factors underlying disparities in illness and its outcomeJames R Sowers
Departments of Medicine, Biochemistry, and Cell Biology, State University of New York Health Science Center, Brooklyn College of Medicine, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Postgrad Med 112:24-6, 29-30, 33-4 passim. 2002..In this article, Drs Sowers, Ferdinand, Bakris, and Douglas examine the biologic, social, and genetic factors that contribute to these health disparities, the risk for which appears in early childhood...
- Optimal treatment of hypertension in African Americans. Reaching and maintaining target blood pressure goalsGeorge L Bakris
Departments of Preventive Medicine and Internal Medicine, Rush Hypertension Clinical Research Center, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, 1700 W Van Buren St, Suite 470, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Postgrad Med 112:73-4, 77-80, 83-4. 2002..This article describes current "best practice" guidance on appropriate treatment of high blood pressure in African Americans. Two patient scenarios offer insight into clinical strategies...
- Functional diversity of AT2 receptor orthologues in closely related speciesYing Hong Feng
Department of Pharmacology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Kidney Int 67:1731-8. 2005..The present study investigated the properties of AT(2) receptors in closely related species...