Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Carolinas Medical Center
- The let-7 microRNA enhances heme oxygenase-1 by suppressing Bach1 and attenuates oxidant injury in human hepatocytesWeihong Hou
The Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1819:1113-22. 2012..Over-expression of the let-7 miRNA family members may represent a novel approach to protecting human hepatocytes from oxidant injury...
- Zinc mesoporphyrin induces rapid proteasomal degradation of hepatitis C nonstructural 5A protein in human hepatoma cellsWeihong Hou
Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center and the Liver, Digestive Disease and Metabolism Laboratory, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina 28232 2861, USA
Gastroenterology 138:1909-19. 2010..Our objectives were to elucidate the down-regulation of NS5A protein and HCV RNA replication by zinc mesoporphyrin (ZnMP) and the mechanism by which this process occurs...
- MicroRNA-196 represses Bach1 protein and hepatitis C virus gene expression in human hepatoma cells expressing hepatitis C viral proteinsWeihong Hou
Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center and the Liver, Digestive Diseases, and Metabolism Laboratory, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28232 2861, USA
Hepatology 51:1494-504. 2010..Moreover, there was no detectable effect of mutant miR-196 on Bach1 3'-UTR-dependent luciferase activity...
- Lon peptidase 1 (LONP1)-dependent breakdown of mitochondrial 5-aminolevulinic acid synthase protein by heme in human liver cellsQing Tian
Liver, Digestive, and Metabolic Disorders Laboratory, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina 28203, USA
J Biol Chem 286:26424-30. 2011..Therefore, our data support the existence of a conserved heme feedback regulatory mechanism that functions on the mature form of ALAS-1 protein through the activity of a mitochondrial proteolytic system...
- Heme status affects human hepatic messenger RNA and microRNA expressionHerbert L Bonkovsky
Liver, Digestive and Metabolic Disorders Laboratory, Cannon Research Center, Carolinas Medical Center, 1542 Garden Terrace, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
World J Gastroenterol 19:1593-601. 2013..To assess effects of heme on messenger RNA (mRNA) and microRNA (miRNA) profiles of liver cells derived from humans...
- Zinc mesoporphyrin induces rapid and marked degradation of the transcription factor Bach1 and up-regulates HO-1Weihong Hou
The Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28232 2861, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1779:195-203. 2008..Our results indicate that ZnMP up-regulates HO-1 gene expression by markedly increasing Bach1 protein degradation in a proteasome-dependent manner...
- Tissue-specific expression of ALA synthase-1 and heme oxygenase-1 and their expression in livers of rats chronically exposed to ethanolJianyu Zheng
Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center, Carolinas Medical Center, 1000 Blythe Boulevard, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
FEBS Lett 582:1829-34. 2008..These results provide novel insights into the effects of chronic ethanol consumption on hepatic heme biosynthesis and porphyrias...
- Porphyrin and heme metabolism and the porphyriasHerbert L Bonkovsky
Department of Medicine and The Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Compr Physiol 3:365-401. 2013....
- Non-coding RNAs in hepatitis C-induced hepatocellular carcinoma: dysregulation and implications for early detection, diagnosis and therapyWeihong Hou
Weihong Hou, Herbert L Bonkovsky, The Liver, Digestive and Metabolic Disorders Laboratory, and The Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center, Cannon Research Center, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28203, United States
World J Gastroenterol 19:7836-45. 2013..Studies of the potential uses of miRNAs and lncRNAs as diagnostic tools or therapies are still in their infancy. ..
- Contemporary clinical research of traditional Chinese medicines for chronic hepatitis B in China: an analytical reviewLingyi Zhang
Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center and the Liver, Digestive Diseases, and Metabolism Laboratory, NC, USA
Hepatology 51:690-8. 2010..TCMs enhanced IFN and LAM antiviral activities and improvements of liver function. The quality of many studies was poor; reports often lacked information regarding methods of randomization or blinding and adverse events...