Stanley N Caroff
- Movement disorders induced by antipsychotic drugs: implications of the CATIE schizophrenia trialStanley N Caroff
Department of Psychiatry, Veterans Affairs Medical Center 116A, University and Woodland Avenues, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurol Clin 29:127-48, viii. 2011....
- Treatment of tardive dyskinesia with galantamine: a randomized controlled crossover trialStanley N Caroff
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:410-5. 2007..To test whether cholinesterase inhibitors compensate for diminished cholinergic activity, we conducted a 30-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trial of galantamine in patients with tardive dyskinesia...
- Treatment outcomes of patients with tardive dyskinesia and chronic schizophreniaStanley N Caroff
Department of Psychiatry, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 72:295-303. 2011..We compared the response to antipsychotic treatment between patients with and without tardive dyskinesia (TD) and examined the course of TD...
- Cocaine abuse in schizophrenic patients treated with olanzapine versus haloperidolSteven L Sayers
Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University and Woodland Avenues, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:379-86. 2005..Important study limitations include a small sample size and high attrition rates. Larger controlled studies are necessary to determine optimal antipsychotic therapy for patients with schizophrenia and comorbid cocaine abuse...
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome in elderly patientsStanley N Caroff
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, PA, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 7:423-31. 2007..To enhance patient safety and clinical vigilance among practitioners, the authors present a clinical overview of neuroleptic malignant syndrome...
- A meta-analysis of the risk of acute extrapyramidal symptoms with intramuscular antipsychotics for the treatment of agitationTheodore D Satterthwaite
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3535 Market St, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:1869-79. 2008..We examined the evidence for a decreased risk of extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) with intramuscular second-generation antipsychotics (SGAs) versus intramuscular haloperidol alone or in combination with an anticholinergic agent...
- Neuroleptic malignant syndromeJeffrey R Strawn
University of Cincinnati, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Box 670559, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:870-6. 2007
- A pilot study of antipsychotic prescribing decisions for acutely-Ill hospitalized patientsE Cabrina Campbell
Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center and The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, VA Medical Center 116A, University and Woodland Aves, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35:246-51. 2011..Evidence on antipsychotic prescribing decisions is limited. This pilot study quantified factors considered in choosing an antipsychotic and evaluated the influence of metabolic status on treatment decisions...
- Movement disorders associated with atypical antipsychotic drugsStanley N Caroff
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:12-9. 2002..Passive resolution of TD may be facilitated in some patients by the use of these agents. Thus, the risk of movement disorders has become only one of several considerations in choosing among antipsychotic drugs...
- Drug-Induced Extrapyramidal Syndromes: Implications for Contemporary PracticeStanley N Caroff
Department of Psychiatry, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 300 Blockley Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA Electronic address
Psychiatr Clin North Am 39:391-411. 2016..A better understanding of drug-induced effects on the motor circuit may improve patient safety, enhance antipsychotic effectiveness, and provide insights into mechanisms underlying antipsychotic activity in parallel brain circuits. ..
- An international consensus study of neuroleptic malignant syndrome diagnostic criteria using the Delphi methodRonald J Gurrera
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 72:1222-8. 2011..The purpose of this study was to develop NMS diagnostic criteria reflecting a broad consensus among clinical knowledge experts, represented by an international multispecialty physician panel...
- Clinical correlates of tardive dyskinesia in schizophrenia: baseline data from the CATIE schizophrenia trialDel D Miller
University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Psychiatry Research, 2 105 MEB, 500 Newton Rd, Iowa City, IA 52242 1000, USA
Schizophr Res 80:33-43. 2005..To examine the clinical characteristics of individuals with schizophrenia that develop tardive dyskinesia (TD) associated with antipsychotic treatment...
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome and aripiprazoleSeth Hammerman
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:639-41. 2006
- Treatment of levodopa-induced dyskinesias with donepezilStanley N Caroff
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 12:261-3. 2006
- Extrapontine myelinolysis resembling neuroleptic malignant syndromeKaren E Groff
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:620-1. 2005