S B Werner
Affiliation: California Environmental Protection Agency
- Wound botulism in California, 1951-1998: recent epidemic in heroin injectorsS B Werner
Division of Communicable Disease Control, California Department of Health Services, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Clin Infect Dis 31:1018-24. 2000..We discuss the clinical and laboratory features that distinguish botulism from conditions that can mimic it, the relative yield of various diagnostic laboratory tests for botulism, and its treatment...
- An outbreak of Salmonella serogroup Saphra due to cantaloupes from MexicoJ C Mohle-Boetani
Disease Investigations Section, DISB, DCDC, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
J Infect Dis 180:1361-4. 1999..Consumers and retailers should wash cantaloupes before cutting them; there should be international efforts to ensure food safety...
- Escherichia coli O157 and Salmonella infections associated with sprouts in California, 1996-1998J C Mohle-Boetani
Disease Investigations and Surveillance Branch, Division of Communicable Diseases Control, 2151 Berkeley Way, Room 708, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Ann Intern Med 135:239-47. 2001..In California, from 1996 through 1998, more than 50% of multicounty outbreaks with confirmed food vehicles were related to alfalfa or clover sprouts...
- A multi-state outbreak of Salmonella serotype Thompson infection from commercially distributed bread contaminated by an ill food handlerA C Kimura
Infectious Diseases Branch, California Department of Health Services, Gardena, CA 90248, USA
Epidemiol Infect 133:823-8. 2005..Inadequate food-handler training as well as delayed reporting to the health department contributed to this outbreak...
- Wound botulism associated with black tar heroin among injecting drug usersD J Passaro
Division of Communicable Disease Control, California Department of Health Services, Berkeley 94704, USA
JAMA 279:859-63. 1998..Since 1988, California has experienced a dramatic increase in WB associated with injecting "black tar" heroin (BTH), a dark, tarry form of the drug...
- An outbreak of Salmonella serotype Thompson associated with fresh cilantroJ V Campbell
Disease Investigations and Surveillance Branch, California Department of Health Services (CDHS, Berkeley, CA, USA
J Infect Dis 183:984-7. 2001..Accurate records of the distribution of produce should be available, and bacterial contamination of produce should be prevented in retail and wholesale establishments, in packing sheds, and on farms...
- The impact of health communication and enhanced laboratory-based surveillance on detection of cyclosporiasis outbreaks in CaliforniaJ C Mohle-Boetani
Disease Investigations Section, California Department of Health Services, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 6:200-3. 2000..We found that Internet information, media reports, and enhanced laboratory surveillance improved detection of these outbreaks...
- A multistate outbreak of Salmonella enterica serotype Baildon associated with domestic raw tomatoesK Cummings
Disease Investigations Section, Division of Communicable Disease Control, California Department of Health Services, Berkeley, 94704, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:1046-8. 2001..Raw restaurant-prepared tomatoes were implicated in multiple case-control studies. Contamination likely occurred on the farm or during packing; more effective disinfection and prevention strategies are needed...
- Outbreak of cryptosporidiosis at a California waterpark: employee and patron roles and the long road towards preventionC Wheeler
Epidemic Intelligence Service assigned to the California Department of Health Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 135:302-10. 2007..Occurring more than a decade after the first reported outbreaks of cryptosporidiosis in swimming pools, this outbreak demonstrates that messages about healthy swimming practices have not been adopted by pool operators and the public...
- Epidemic and sporadic cases of nontuberculous mycobacterial keratitis associated with laser in situ keratomileusisKevin L Winthrop
Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 135:223-4. 2003..To report national case-finding results for nontuberculous mycobacterial keratitis and describe its association with laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK)...
- Salmonella infections associated with mung bean sprouts: epidemiological and environmental investigationsJ C Mohle-Boetani
California Department of Public Health, Richmond, CA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 137:357-66. 2009..Laboratories should report confirmed positive Salmonella results from sprout growers to public health authorities...
- Alfalfa sprouts and Salmonella Kottbus infection: a multistate outbreak following inadequate seed disinfection with heat and chlorineK L Winthrop
California Department of Health Services, Division of Communicable Disease Control, 2151 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94704, USA
J Food Prot 66:13-7. 2003..Until other effective disinfection technologies are developed, producers should adhere to FDA recommendations for sprout seed disinfection...
- A large outbreak of scombroid fish poisoning associated with eating escolar fish (Lepidocybium flavobrunneum)K A Feldman
California Emerging Infections Program, Oakland, CA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 133:29-33. 2005..This is one of the largest reported outbreaks of scombroid fish poisoning in the United States and was associated with a rare vehicle for scombroid fish poisoning, escolar...
- Outbreak of Serratia marcescens infections following injection of betamethasone compounded at a community pharmacyRachel Civen
Los Angles County Department of Health Services, Acute Communicable Disease Control Program, Los Angeles, CA 90012, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:831-7. 2006..In June 2001, following the report of 4 patients with Serratia marcescens meningitis who received epidural injections of betamethasone compounded at a community pharmacy, we initiated an outbreak investigation...