Genomes and Genes
Nelson C Lau
Affiliation: Brandeis University
- Small RNAs in the animal gonad: guarding genomes and guiding developmentNelson C Lau
Department of Biology, Brandeis University, 415 South Street, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 42:1334-47. 2010..Progress in this area will likely impact biomedical goals of manipulating stem cells and preventing diseases caused by the transposition of mobile DNA elements...
- Abundant primary piRNAs, endo-siRNAs, and microRNAs in a Drosophila ovary cell lineNelson C Lau
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, 02114, USA
Genome Res 19:1776-85. 2009..These data indicate that the restriction of certain TEs in somatic gonadal cells is largely mediated by a primary piRNA pathway...
- Most Caenorhabditis elegans microRNAs are individually not essential for development or viabilityEric A Miska
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS Genet 3:e215. 2007..This study represents the first comprehensive genetic analysis of miRNA function in any organism and provides a unique, permanent resource for the systematic study of miRNAs...
- Characterization of the piRNA complex from rat testesNelson C Lau
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Science 313:363-7. 2006..Piwi has been genetically linked to TGS in flies, and slicer activity cofractionates with the purified complex. These results are consistent with a gene-silencing role for piRC in mammals...
- Analysis of small endogenous RNAsNelson C Lau
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Protoc Mol Biol . 2008..This unit also outlines a cell-based reporter gene assay for assessing the regulatory potential of a microRNA on a candidate mRNA target...
- The coming of age for Piwi proteinsAnita G Seto
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mol Cell 26:603-9. 2007..Here, we highlight the recent progress in understanding Piwi function and the implications for germline and stem cell development...
- Organic small hairpin RNAs (OshR): a do-it-yourself platform for transgene-based gene silencingMei Zeng
Department of Biology, Brandeis University, United States Rosenstiel Basic Medical Science Research Center, United States
Methods 63:101-9. 2013....
- RNAi pathways contribute to developmental history-dependent phenotypic plasticity in C. elegansSarah E Hall
Department of Biology and National Center for Behavioral Genomics, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454, USA
RNA 19:306-19. 2013....
- Diverse roles for RNA in gene regulationNelson C Lau
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Genome Biol 6:315. 2005
- Transposable element dynamics and PIWI regulation impacts lncRNA and gene expression diversity in Drosophila ovarian cell culturesYuliya A Sytnikova
Department of Biology and Rosenstiel Basic Medical Science Research Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454, USA
Genome Res 24:1977-90. 2014..Our analyses of OSCs and OSS cells demonstrate that despite having a Piwi pathway to suppress endogenous mobile elements, gonadal cell TE landscapes can still dramatically change and create transcriptome diversity...
- Systematic and single cell analysis of Xenopus Piwi-interacting RNAs and XiwiNelson C Lau
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
EMBO J 28:2945-58. 2009..We suggest that in addition to regulating transposable elements, Xiwi may function in specifying RNA localization in vertebrate oocytes...
- The capacity of target silencing by Drosophila PIWI and piRNAsChristina Post
Department of Biology and Rosenstiel Basic Medical Science Research Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02453, USA
RNA 20:1977-86. 2014..This reporter platform will facilitate future dissections of the PIWI-targeting mechanism. ..
- Small RNA library construction from minute biological samplesJessica A Matts
Department of Biology, Rosenstiel Basic Medical Science Research Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 1093:123-36. 2014..Finally, our methodology generates libraries amenable to multiplex sequencing on the Illumina Hi-Seq platform...
- Rem2 is an activity-dependent negative regulator of dendritic complexity in vivoAmy E Ghiretti
Department of Biology, National Center for Behavioral Genomics, Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center, and Volen Center for Complex Systems, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454, and Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
J Neurosci 34:392-407. 2014..It is the balance of these opposing signals that leads to proper dendritic morphology. ..
- The microRNAs of Caenorhabditis elegansLee P Lim
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Genes Dev 17:991-1008. 2003..Our census of the worm miRNAs and their expression patterns helps define this class of noncoding RNAs, lays the groundwork for functional studies, and provides the tools for more comprehensive analyses of miRNA genes in other species...
- Small RNA library cloning procedure for deep sequencing of specific endogenous siRNA classes in Caenorhabditis elegansMaria C Ow
Department of Biology, Syracuse University, 110 Life Sciences Complex, 107 College Place, Syracuse, NY, 13244, USA
Methods Mol Biol 1173:59-70. 2014..In this chapter we describe a detailed protocol for preparing small RNA libraries for deep sequencing on the Illumina platform from the nematode C. elegans. ..