Genomes and Genes
D J DeRosier
Affiliation: Brandeis University
- Correction of high-resolution data for curvature of the Ewald sphereD J DeRosier
W M Keck Institute for Cellular Visualization, Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Ultramicroscopy 81:83-98. 2000..The simplest of the methods is to take images with different amounts of defocus. For helical structures, however, only one image is needed...
- Bacterial flagellum: visualizing the complete machine in situDavid Derosier
Department of Life Sciences, MS029 Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454 9110, USA
Curr Biol 16:R928-30. 2006..Electron tomography of frozen-hydrated bacteria, combined with single particle averaging, has produced stunning images of the intact bacterial flagellum, revealing features of the rotor, stator and export apparatus...
- F-actin bundles are derivatives of microvilli: What does this tell us about how bundles might form?D J DeRosier
W M Keck Institute of Cellular Visualization, Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center, Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454, USA
J Cell Biol 148:1-6. 2000
- Rotational symmetry of the C ring and a mechanism for the flagellar rotary motorD R Thomas
W M Keck Institute for Cellular Visualization, Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center, Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02254, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:10134-9. 1999..Movement results from the swapping of stud-bound levers with M ring-bound levers. The model predicts that both the M and C rings rotate in the same direction but at different speeds...
- Structures of bacterial flagellar motors from two FliF-FliG gene fusion mutantsD Thomas
W. M. Keck Institute for Cellular Visualization, Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center, and Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454
J Bacteriol 183:6404-12. 2001..The C-ring-M-ring interaction appeared to be altered. In basal bodies with the fusion-deletion protein, the C ring was smaller in diameter, and one of its domains occupied space vacated by missing portions of FliF and FliG...
- Localization of the Salmonella typhimurium flagellar switch protein FliG to the cytoplasmic M-ring face of the basal bodyN R Francis
Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02254
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:6304-8. 1992..We conclude that the natural location for FliG is at the cytoplasmic face of the M ring and that the stoichiometric ratio between FliF and FliG in wild-type cells is probably 1:1...
- Mass determination and estimation of subunit stoichiometry of the bacterial hook-basal body flagellar complex of Salmonella typhimurium by scanning transmission electron microscopyG E Sosinsky
Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02254 9110
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:4801-5. 1992..amp; Aizawa, S.-I. (1990) J. Mol. Biol. 212, 377-387] using quantitative gel electrophoresis. The results of Jones et al., together with ours, account for all proteins in the basal body to within approximately 5% (or 200 kDa)...
- Variable symmetry in Salmonella typhimurium flagellar motorsHoward S Young
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Biophys J 84:571-7. 2003..Implications for motor function are discussed...
- The three-dimensional structure of the flagellar rotor from a clockwise-locked mutant of Salmonella enterica serovar TyphimuriumDennis R Thomas
Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
J Bacteriol 188:7039-48. 2006..We suggest that this inner feature arises from a domain of FliG. We present a hypothetical docking in which the C-terminal motor domain of FliG lies in the C ring, where it can interact intimately with FliM...
- Structure of the bacterial flagellar hook and implication for the molecular universal joint mechanismFadel A Samatey
Dynamic NanoMachine Project, ICORP, JST, 1 3 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Nature 431:1062-8. 2004..The model reveals the intricate molecular interactions and a plausible switching mechanism for the hook to be flexible in bending but rigid against twisting for its universal joint function...
- How to make a curved Drosophila bristle using straight actin bundlesLewis G Tilney
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:18785-92. 2005....
- A partial atomic structure for the flagellar hook of Salmonella typhimuriumTanvir R Shaikh
Dynamic NanoMachine Project, International Cooperative Research Project, Japan Science and Technology Agency, 1 3 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:1023-8. 2005..typhimurium except for a large insertion (20 kDa). According to difference maps and our fitting, this insertion is found on the outer surface of the hook, consistent with our modeling of the hook...
- Three-dimensional structure and organization of a receptor/signaling complexNoreen R Francis
Rosenstiel Biomedical Sciences Research Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17480-5. 2004..This structure of the receptor/signaling complex provides an additional basis for understanding the architecture of the large arrays of chemotaxis receptors, CheA, and CheW found at the cell poles in motile bacteria...
- Order, disorder, and perturbations in actin-aldolase raftsCatherine Sukow
The Graduate Program in Biophysics, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454, USA
Biophys J 85:525-36. 2003..These results provide a measure of the potential for polymorphism in actin assemblies...
- Myosin isoforms show unique conformations in the actin-bound stateNiels Volkmann
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:3227-32. 2003....
- Subunit organization in a soluble complex of tar, CheW, and CheA by electron microscopyNoreen R Francis
W M Keck Institute for Cellular Visualization, Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center and Department of Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454, USA
J Biol Chem 277:36755-9. 2002..Coupled with atomic models of the subunits, our results provide insights into the functional architecture by which the receptor regulates CheA kinase activity during bacterial chemotaxis...
- Microtubule structure at 8 A resolutionHuilin Li
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, CA 94720, USA
Structure 10:1317-28. 2002....
- STRUCTURAL STUDIES OF CELLULAR ASSEMBLIES OF ACTINDavid Derosier; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will also look at myosin V (actually a construct having 2 IQ domains) in the presence of calcium in order to visualize the changes associated with regulation. ..
- STRUCTURAL STUDIES OF BACTERIAL FLAGELLADavid Derosier; Fiscal Year: 2003..We propose to obtain 3D maps of the propeller apparatus (hook and filament) at about 4 Angstrom units resolution by electron cryomicroscopy. These maps should permit us to produce a chain tracing of the peptides. ..