Affiliation: Boston University
- A randomized, controlled trial of quadriceps resistance exercise and vitamin D in frail older people: the Frailty Interventions Trial in Elderly Subjects (FITNESS)Nancy K Latham
Clinical Trials Research Unit, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:291-9. 2003..To determine the effectiveness of vitamin D and home-based quadriceps resistance exercise on reducing falls and improving the physical health of frail older people after hospital discharge...
- Strength training in older adults: the benefits for osteoarthritisNancy Latham
Health and Disability Research Institute, Boston University School of Public Health, MA, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 26:445-59. 2010..Older adults with OA benefit from a strength-training program that provides progressive overload to maintain intensity throughout an exercise program...
- Performance-based or self-report measures of physical function: which should be used in clinical trials of hip fracture patients?Nancy K Latham
Health and Disability Research Unit, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118 2639, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:2146-55. 2008....
- Analyzing change in recovery patterns in the year after acute hospitalizationJanet A Prvu Bettger
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:1267-75. 2008....
- An overview and process evaluation of TeleWalk: a telephone-based counseling intervention to encourage walking in older adultsGregory S Kolt
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland 1020, New Zealand
Health Promot Int 21:201-8. 2006..Findings from this evaluation can be used to inform such interventions and ensure their relevance to community-dwelling older adults...
- Did the 1997 balanced budget act reduce use of physical and occupational therapy services?Nancy K Latham
Health and Disability Research Institute, School of Public Health, Boston University, Boston, MA 02118 2639, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:807-14. 2008..To investigate whether use of physical therapy (PT) and occupational therapy (OT) services decreased after the passage of the 1997 Balanced Budget Act (BBA)...
- Occupational therapy activities and intervention techniques for clients with stroke in six rehabilitation hospitalsNancy K Latham
Health and Disability Research Institute, Boston University, 53 Bay State Road, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Am J Occup Ther 60:369-78. 2006..To prospectively monitor occupational therapy activities and intervention techniques used during inpatient stroke rehabilitation in order to provide a description of current clinical practice...
- Pattern of functional change during rehabilitation of patients with hip fractureNancy K Latham
Health and Disability Research Institute, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 87:111-6. 2006..To examine the rate of functional change in 2 domains, activities of daily living (ADLs) and mobility, over 2 time periods during hip fracture rehabilitation...
- Physical therapy during stroke rehabilitation for people with different walking abilitiesNancy K Latham
Health and Disability Research Institute, Boston University, Boston, MA 02446, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:S41-S50. 2005..Latham NK, Jette DU, Slavin M, Richards LG, Procino A, Smout RJ, Horn SD. Physical therapy during stroke rehabilitation for people with different walking abilities...
- Effects of vitamin D supplementation on strength, physical performance, and falls in older persons: a systematic reviewNancy K Latham
Clinical Trials Research Unit, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1219-26. 2003..identify, appraise, and synthesize data from randomized, controlled trials of vitamin D supplementation in older people...
- Systematic review of progressive resistance strength training in older adultsNancy K Latham
Clinical Trials Research Unit, University of Auckland, New Zealand
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59:48-61. 2004..The aim of this systematic review was to quantify the effectiveness of progressive resistance strength training (PRT) to reduce physical disability in older people...
- A computer-adaptive disability instrument for lower extremity osteoarthritis research demonstrated promising breadth, precision, and reliabilityAlan M Jette
Health and Disability Research Institute, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 62:807-15. 2009..To develop and evaluate a prototype measure (OA-DISABILITY-CAT) for osteoarthritis research using item response theory (IRT) and computer-adaptive test (CAT) methodologies...
- The emerging role of the pediatric physical therapist in evaluation and intervention for individuals with lysosomal storage diseasesStephen M Haley
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215 1605, USA
Pediatr Phys Ther 17:128-39. 2005....
- The Boston Rehabilitative Impairment Study of the Elderly: a description of methodsNicole E Holt
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 94:347-55. 2013....
- Capture-recapture is a potentially useful method for assessing publication biasDerrick A Bennett
The Clinical Trials Research Unit, 3 Ferncroft Street, Grafton, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Private Bag 92019, University of Auckland, New Zealand
J Clin Epidemiol 57:349-57. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the influence of publication bias in a systematic review of the effectiveness of Progressive Resistance Training (PRT) in older people...
- The cluster-randomized BRIGHT trial: Proactive case finding for community-dwelling older adultsNgaire Kerse
School of Population Health, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Ann Fam Med 12:514-24. 2014..People are now living longer, but disability may affect the quality of those additional years of life. We undertook a trial to assess whether case finding reduces disability among older primary care patients...
- Does a functional activity programme improve function, quality of life, and falls for residents in long term care? Cluster randomised controlled trialNgaire Kerse
Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, School of Population Health, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, 1001, New Zealand
BMJ 337:a1445. 2008..To assess the effectiveness of an activity programme in improving function, quality of life, and falls in older people in residential care...
- Physical therapy interventions for patients with stroke in inpatient rehabilitation facilitiesDiane U Jette
Physical Therapy Program, Simmons College, 300 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Phys Ther 85:238-48. 2005..The purpose of this study was to describe physical therapy provided to patients with stroke in inpatient rehabilitation facilities...
- Use of physical and occupational therapy by Medicare beneficiaries within five conditions: 1994-2001Long Ngo
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 88:308-21. 2009..To examine the use of physical therapy and occupational therapy among Medicare beneficiaries nationwide before and after the 1997 Balanced Budget Act, which introduced prospective payment for rehabilitation services...
- Expressive behavior in Parkinson's disease as a function of interview contextKayoko Takahashi
Boston University College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Sargent College, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Occup Ther 64:484-95. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine whether qualities of the interview context are associated with client motivational behavior in Parkinson's disease...
- Determinants of physical health in frail older people: the importance of self-efficacyCaroline M Stretton
School of Physiotherapy, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
Clin Rehabil 20:357-66. 2006..This study assessed the inter-relationships between such measures, and the predictors of 'physical' aspects of HRQoL in frail older patients...
- Characterizing occupational therapy practice in stroke rehabilitationLorie G Richards
North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:S51-S60. 2005..Richards LG, Latham NK, Jette DU, Rosenberg L, Smout RJ, DeJong G. Characterizing occupational therapy practice in stroke rehabilitation...