Jill E Bormann
- Mantram repetition for stress management in veterans and employees: a critical incident studyJill E Bormann
Research Nurse Scientist, Nursing and Patient Care Services, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Adv Nurs 53:502-12. 2006..This paper reports a study assessing the usefulness of a mantram repetition programme...
- A spiritually based group intervention for combat veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: feasibility studyJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System and San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Holist Nurs 26:109-16. 2008..To assess the feasibility, effect sizes, and satisfaction of mantram repetition -- the spiritual practice of repeating a sacred word/phrase throughout the day -- for managing symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in veterans...
- Responses to Mantram Repetition Program from Veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: a qualitative analysisJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr 111N 1, San Diego, CA 92161
J Rehabil Res Dev 50:769-84. 2013..The study shows that the MRP was helpful in managing a wide range of emotional reactions in Veterans with PTSD. ..
- Spiritual wellbeing mediates PTSD change in veterans with military-related PTSDJill E Bormann
Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health CESAMH, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Int J Behav Med 19:496-502. 2012..It is thought that the intervention re-directs attention and initiates relaxation to decrease symptom severity, but there may be other mechanisms that may contribute to this improvement...
- Effects of spiritual mantram repetition on HIV outcomes: a randomized controlled trialJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive 118, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Behav Med 29:359-76. 2006....
- Relationship of frequent mantram repetition to emotional and spiritual well-being in healthcare workersJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, CA 92161, USA
J Contin Educ Nurs 37:218-24. 2006..To determine how to reduce stress, the authors examined the effectiveness of frequently repeating a mantram (a word with spiritual meaning) on emotional and spiritual well-being...
- Self-monitoring of a stress reduction technique using wrist-worn countersJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, USA
J Healthc Qual 29:45-52. 2007..84) with retrospective self-reports, indicating that such counters may be a reliable self-monitoring tool and could be used to measure a variety of other behavioral health quality indicators...
- Increases in positive reappraisal coping during a group-based mantram intervention mediate sustained reductions in anger in HIV-positive personsJill E Bormann
Nursing and Patient Care Services, Veterans Affairs San Diego Health Care System, San Diego, CA, USA
Int J Behav Med 16:74-80. 2009..Mantram repetition is the portable practice of focusing attention frequently on a mantram throughout the day without a specific time, place, or posture...
- Effects of faith/assurance on cortisol levels are enhanced by a spiritual mantram intervention in adults with HIV: a randomized trialJill E Bormann
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Psychosom Res 66:161-71. 2009..This study compared the effects of 2 interventions-a spiritually-based mantram intervention versus an attention-matched control group-on faith/assurance and average salivary cortisol levels among HIV-infected individuals...
- A spiritually based caregiver intervention with telephone delivery for family caregivers of veterans with dementiaJill Bormann
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 LaJolla Village Dr 111N 1, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Fam Community Health 32:345-53. 2009..Findings suggest that teleconference delivery of a spiritually based caregiver intervention is feasible...
- Efficacy of frequent mantram repetition on stress, quality of life, and spiritual well-being in veterans: a pilot studyJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego State University, CA, USA
J Holist Nurs 23:395-414. 2005..The authors tested the feasibility and efficacy of a 5-week (90-min per week) intervention on mantram repetition in a sample of ambulatory veterans...
- Multi-site evaluation of a complementary, spiritually-based intervention for Veterans: The Mantram Repetition ProgramMelissa M Buttner
VA San Diego Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health CESAMH, San Diego, CA, USA VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Complement Ther Clin Pract 22:74-9. 2016..However, these findings have not been replicated in real-world settings...
- Predictors of complementary/alternative medicine use and intensity of use among men with HIV infection from two geographic areas in the United StatesJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 20:468-80. 2009..High levels of CAM use should alert health care providers to assess CAM use and to incorporate CAM-related patient education into their clinical practices...
- Efficacy of the Mantram Repetition Program for Insomnia in Veterans With Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Naturalistic StudyDanielle Beck
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California Ms Beck, Ms Andrews, and Drs Liu, Heppner, and Bormann Hahn School of Nursing and Health Sciences Beyster Institute of Nursing Research, University of San Diego, San Diego, California Drs Cosco Holt, Burkard, and Bormann Department of Family Medicine and Public Health Dr Liu and Department of Psychiatry Dr Heppner, University of California, San Diego and Veterans Affairs San Diego Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, San Diego, California Dr Bormann
ANS Adv Nurs Sci . 2016..Results show that participation in the MRP significantly reduced insomnia, as well as decreased self-reported and clinician-assessed PTSD symptom burden...
- Yoga for veterans with chronic low back pain: Design and methods of a randomized clinical trialErik J Groessl
VA San Diego Healthcare System, CA, USA Department of Family Medicine and Public Health, University of California San Diego, CA, USA Electronic address
Contemp Clin Trials 48:110-8. 2016..Study results will provide much needed evidence on the feasibility and effectiveness of yoga as a therapeutic modality for the treatment of CLBP in US military veterans. ..
- The theoretical and empirical basis for meditation as an intervention for PTSDAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Behav Modif 36:759-86. 2012..Empirical evidence of the efficacy of meditation for PTSD is very limited but holds some promise. Additional evaluation of meditation-based treatment appears to be warranted...
- Mantram Repetition With Homeless Women: A Pilot StudySally P Weinrich
University of San Diego Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science and the Betty and Bob Beyster Institute for Nursing Research, Advanced Practice, and Simulation, San Diego, California Drs Weinrich, Bormann, Glaser, Hardin, and Barger Department of Veterans Affairs, Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California Dr Bormann Sharp Grossmont Hospital, La Mesa, California Ms Lizarraga Amikas, San Diego, California Mr del Rio and Military Sexual Trauma and Interpersonal Trauma Clinic, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California Dr Allard
Holist Nurs Pract 30:360-367. 2016..Themes of mantram repetition, mantram benefits, and being cared for emerged. This groundbreaking, interventional, mixed-methods pilot study fills a gap in interventional homeless research...
- Mindful attention increases and mediates psychological outcomes following mantram repetition practice in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Department of Nursing and Patient Care Services, VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health CESAMH Hahn School of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of San Diego University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health Veterans Medical Research Foundation Research Service, San Diego, CA
Med Care 52:S13-8. 2014..Several evidence-based treatments are available to veterans diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). However, not all veterans benefit from these treatments or prefer to engage in them...