Jill E Bormann
- Mantram repetition for stress management in veterans and employees: a critical incident studyJill E Bormann
Research Nurse Scientist, Nursing and Patient Care Services, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Adv Nurs 53:502-12. 2006..This paper reports a study assessing the usefulness of a mantram repetition programme...
- A spiritually based group intervention for combat veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: feasibility studyJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System and San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Holist Nurs 26:109-16. 2008..To assess the feasibility, effect sizes, and satisfaction of mantram repetition -- the spiritual practice of repeating a sacred word/phrase throughout the day -- for managing symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in veterans...
- Responses to Mantram Repetition Program from Veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: a qualitative analysisJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr 111N 1, San Diego, CA 92161
J Rehabil Res Dev 50:769-84. 2013..The study shows that the MRP was helpful in managing a wide range of emotional reactions in Veterans with PTSD. ..
- Spiritual wellbeing mediates PTSD change in veterans with military-related PTSDJill E Bormann
Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health CESAMH, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Int J Behav Med 19:496-502. 2012..It is thought that the intervention re-directs attention and initiates relaxation to decrease symptom severity, but there may be other mechanisms that may contribute to this improvement...
- A spiritually based caregiver intervention with telephone delivery for family caregivers of veterans with dementiaJill Bormann
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 LaJolla Village Dr 111N 1, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Fam Community Health 32:345-53. 2009..Findings suggest that teleconference delivery of a spiritually based caregiver intervention is feasible...
- Increases in positive reappraisal coping during a group-based mantram intervention mediate sustained reductions in anger in HIV-positive personsJill E Bormann
Nursing and Patient Care Services, Veterans Affairs San Diego Health Care System, San Diego, CA, USA
Int J Behav Med 16:74-80. 2009..Mantram repetition is the portable practice of focusing attention frequently on a mantram throughout the day without a specific time, place, or posture...
- Self-monitoring of a stress reduction technique using wrist-worn countersJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, USA
J Healthc Qual 29:45-52. 2007..84) with retrospective self-reports, indicating that such counters may be a reliable self-monitoring tool and could be used to measure a variety of other behavioral health quality indicators...
- Relationship of frequent mantram repetition to emotional and spiritual well-being in healthcare workersJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, CA 92161, USA
J Contin Educ Nurs 37:218-24. 2006..To determine how to reduce stress, the authors examined the effectiveness of frequently repeating a mantram (a word with spiritual meaning) on emotional and spiritual well-being...
- Effects of spiritual mantram repetition on HIV outcomes: a randomized controlled trialJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive 118, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Behav Med 29:359-76. 2006....
- Effects of faith/assurance on cortisol levels are enhanced by a spiritual mantram intervention in adults with HIV: a randomized trialJill E Bormann
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Psychosom Res 66:161-71. 2009..This study compared the effects of 2 interventions-a spiritually-based mantram intervention versus an attention-matched control group-on faith/assurance and average salivary cortisol levels among HIV-infected individuals...
- Efficacy of frequent mantram repetition on stress, quality of life, and spiritual well-being in veterans: a pilot studyJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego State University, CA, USA
J Holist Nurs 23:395-414. 2005..The authors tested the feasibility and efficacy of a 5-week (90-min per week) intervention on mantram repetition in a sample of ambulatory veterans...
- Predictors of complementary/alternative medicine use and intensity of use among men with HIV infection from two geographic areas in the United StatesJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 20:468-80. 2009..High levels of CAM use should alert health care providers to assess CAM use and to incorporate CAM-related patient education into their clinical practices...
- The theoretical and empirical basis for meditation as an intervention for PTSDAriel J Lang
VA San Diego Healthcare System VASDHS, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Behav Modif 36:759-86. 2012..Empirical evidence of the efficacy of meditation for PTSD is very limited but holds some promise. Additional evaluation of meditation-based treatment appears to be warranted...
- Mindful attention increases and mediates psychological outcomes following mantram repetition practice in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Department of Nursing and Patient Care Services, VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health CESAMH Hahn School of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of San Diego University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health Veterans Medical Research Foundation Research Service, San Diego, CA
Med Care 52:S13-8. 2014..Several evidence-based treatments are available to veterans diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). However, not all veterans benefit from these treatments or prefer to engage in them...