Genomes and Genes
Robert F Foronjy
Affiliation: Beth Israel Medical Center
- Cathepsin G degradation of phospholipid transfer protein (PLTP) augments pulmonary inflammationAnthony Brehm
2Department of Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt, Mt Sinai Health System, Antenucci Bldg, 432 West 58th St, Rm 311, New York, NY 10019, USA
FASEB J 28:2318-31. 2014..Thus, these findings establish a novel anti-inflammatory function of PLTP in the lung and suggest that proteolytic cleavage of PLTP by cathepsin G may enhance the injurious inflammatory responses that occur in COPD...
- A comparison of the inflammatory and proteolytic effects of dung biomass and cigarette smoke exposure in the lungDivya Mehra
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e52889. 2012..Despite their prevalent use and their potential impact on global health, the effects of these fuels on lung biology and function remain poorly understood...
- Structural emphysema does not correlate with lung compliance: lessons from the mouse smoking modelRobert F Foronjy
Department of Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine and Pulmonary Medicine, Columbia University, New York, USA
Exp Lung Res 31:547-62. 2005..This lack of correlation suggests that the mechanisms involved in anatomic emphysema may be distinct from those that cause the loss of elastic recoil...
- The glutathione peroxidase 1-protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B-protein phosphatase 2A axis. A key determinant of airway inflammation and alveolar destructionPatrick Geraghty
1 St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, New York
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 49:721-30. 2013..In conclusion, these findings establish that the GPx-1-PTP1B-PP2A axis plays a critical role in countering the inflammatory and proteolytic responses that result in lung-tissue destruction in response to cigarette smoke exposure...
- Cigarette smoke activates the proto-oncogene c-src to promote airway inflammation and lung tissue destructionPatrick Geraghty
1 St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, New York
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 50:559-70. 2014..These results indicate that activation of the proto-oncogene c-Src by cigarette smoke promotes processes linked to the development of COPD. ..
- Increased matrix metalloproteinase (MMPs) levels do not predict disease severity or progression in emphysemaJEANINE M D'ARMIENTO
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e56352. 2013..This study aimed to determine whether bronchoalveolar lavage (BALF) or plasma MMP measurements correlated with disease severity or functional decline in emphysema...
- The impact of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor therapy on the extracellular collagen matrix during left ventricular assist device support in patients with end-stage heart failureStefan Klotz
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 49:1166-74. 2007..We hypothesized that angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition (ACE-I) during left ventricular assist device (LVAD) support in patients with end-stage heart failure prevents potentially deleterious effects on the extracellular matrix...
- Transgenic expression of matrix metalloproteinase-1 inhibits myocardial fibrosis and prevents the transition to heart failure in a pressure overload mouse modelRobert F Foronjy
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
Hypertens Res 31:725-35. 2008..In conclusion, these results suggest that strategies aimed at improving the MMP-1/TIMP balance in the myocardium may help to prevent the onset and progression of hypertensive heart disease...
- Role for cathepsin K in emphysema in smoke-exposed guinea pigsPolina Golovatch
Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Exp Lung Res 35:631-45. 2009..Elevation of cathepsin K in guinea pig lungs after smoke exposure likely constitutes a critical event leading to the disruption of lung extracellular matrix in this model...
- Protein phosphatase 2A regulates innate immune and proteolytic responses to cigarette smoke exposure in the lungAlison M Wallace
Department of Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Toxicol Sci 126:589-99. 2012..Together, these findings suggest that manipulation of PP2A activity may be a plausible means to treat COPD and other inflammatory diseases...
- Eosinophil and T cell markers predict functional decline in COPD patientsJEANINE M D'ARMIENTO
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Respir Res 10:113. 2009..We therefore measured cytokine levels in the lung lavage fluid and plasma of COPD patients in order to determine if the levels of T cell or eosinophil related cytokines were predictive of the future course of the disease...
- Superoxide dismutase expression attenuates cigarette smoke- or elastase-generated emphysema in miceRobert F Foronjy
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, P and S 8 401, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:623-31. 2006..Oxidants are believed to play a major role in the development of emphysema...
- Functional characterization of the matrix metalloproteinase-1 cigarette smoke-responsive region and association with the lung health studyAlison M Wallace
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Respir Res 13:79. 2012..Prior studies have demonstrated that the distal 1.5 kb of the MMP-1 promoter is fundamental in directing the induction of the MMP-1 gene by cigarette smoke...
- α1-Antitrypsin activates protein phosphatase 2A to counter lung inflammatory responsesPatrick Geraghty
1 Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mount Sinai Roosevelt Hospital, New York, New York
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 190:1229-42. 2014..Like A1AT, protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A), a major serine-threonine phosphatase, regulates similar biologic processes and plays a key role in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- Progressive adult-onset emphysema in transgenic mice expressing human MMP-1 in the lungRobert F Foronjy
Department of Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine and Pulmonary Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 284:L727-37. 2003..This study provides evidence that MMP-1 induces progressive adult-onset emphysema by the selective degradation of type III collagen within the alveolar wall...
- Integrative analysis of DNA methylation and gene expression data identifies EPAS1 as a key regulator of COPDSeungyeul Yoo
Institute of Genomics and Multiscale Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, United States of America Department of Genetics and Genomic Sciences, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS Genet 11:e1004898. 2015....
- Respiratory syncytial virus infections enhance cigarette smoke induced COPD in miceRobert F Foronjy
St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, Mount Sinai Health System, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e90567. 2014..Indeed, these results indicate that preventing RSV transmission and infection has the potential to significantly impact on COPD severity and progression. ..
- Mechanical unloading during left ventricular assist device support increases left ventricular collagen cross-linking and myocardial stiffnessStefan Klotz
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Circulation 112:364-74. 2005....