David B Bekelman
- Patient-centered disease management (PCDM) for heart failure: study protocol for a randomised controlled trialDavid B Bekelman
Department of Veterans Affairs, Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Research 151, 1055 Clermont Street, Denver, CO 80220, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 13:49. 2013....
- Giving voice to patients' and family caregivers' needs in chronic heart failure: implications for palliative care programsDavid B Bekelman
Research and Genetics Sections, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Palliat Med 14:1317-24. 2011....
- Outpatient palliative care for chronic heart failure: a case seriesDavid B Bekelman
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
J Palliat Med 14:815-21. 2011..This article describes the patients seen and the issues addressed in an outpatient palliative care program for patients with HF...
- Patient and caregiver congruence: the importance of dyads in heart failure careJessica H Retrum
Public Health Systems and Service Research, University of Colorado Denver School of Public Affairs, Colorado, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 28:129-36. 2013..Dyad congruence, or consistency in perspective, is relevant to numerous aspects of living with HF and HF care. Incongruence or lack of communication could impair disease management and advance care planning...
- Patient and cardiologist perceptions on decision making for implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: a qualitative studyDan D Matlock
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Colorado, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 34:1634-44. 2011..Although implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) reduce mortality in selected patients, they are also associated with potential risks. Periprocedural decision making requires understanding both benefits and risks...
- Feasibility and acceptability of a collaborative care intervention to improve symptoms and quality of life in chronic heart failure: mixed methods pilot trialDavid B Bekelman
1 Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Department of Veterans Affairs, Denver, Colorado
J Palliat Med 17:145-51. 2014..The CASA (Collaborative Care to Alleviate Symptoms and Adjust to Illness) intervention was designed to improve symptoms and quality of life by integrating palliative and psychosocial care into chronic care...
- Barriers and Facilitators to Scaling Up Outpatient Palliative CareDavid B Bekelman
1 Department of Veterans Affairs, Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, Colorado
J Palliat Med 19:456-9. 2016..However, the predominant delivery model of nonhospice palliative care is inpatient, consultative care focused on the end of life, with a small specialist palliative care workforce...
- Health literacy and outcomes among patients with heart failurePamela N Peterson
Division of Cardiology, Denver Health Medical Center, Mail Code 0960, 777 Bannock St, Denver, CO 80204, USA
JAMA 305:1695-701. 2011..Little is known about the effects of low health literacy among patients with heart failure, a condition that requires self-management and frequent interactions with the health care system...