Ellen J Teng
Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- Effects of depression and social support on comprehension and recall of informed consent information among Parkinson disease patients and their caregiversEllen J Teng
VA HSR and D Houston Center of Excellence TX, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 43:67-83. 2012....
- Increasing mental health awareness and appropriate service use in older Chinese Americans: a pilot interventionEllen J Teng
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, United States
Patient Educ Couns 76:143-6. 2009..This study evaluated the effectiveness of a community intervention in increasing awareness of mental health issues and available resources among elderly Chinese Americans...
- Impact of panic disorder on quality of life among veterans in a primary care pilot studyTerri L Barrera
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center, 116 MHCL, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Compr Psychiatry 54:256-61. 2013..The findings from this study highlight the devastating nature of panic disorder and reflect the need for increased attention to the identification and treatment of panic disorder in VA primary care settings...
- Influence of trauma history on panic and posttraumatic stress disorder in returning veteransTerri L Barrera
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Psychol Serv 10:168-76. 2013..38, p = .001). These findings indicate a high prevalence of panic disorder among returning veterans and highlight the importance for clinicians to assess returning veterans routinely for panic disorder in addition to PTSD...
- Treating comorbid panic disorder in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderEllen J Teng
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 76:704-10. 2008....
- Imagery rescripting and exposure group treatment of posttraumatic nightmares in Veterans with PTSDMary E Long
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Anxiety Disord 25:531-5. 2011..These preliminary findings suggest that a nightmares treatment can be adapted to successfully reduce distress associated with combat Veterans' chronic nightmares. Clinical and research implications are discussed...
- The role of cognitions in imagery rescripting for posttraumatic nightmaresMary E Long
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Clin Psychol 67:1008-16. 2011..These findings provide preliminary evidence that trauma-related cognitions may improve over time as a result of imagery rescripting...
- Rates and predictors of referral for individual psychotherapy, group psychotherapy, and medications among Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with PTSDJuliette M Mott
VA HSR and D Houston Center of Excellence, Houston, TX, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 41:99-109. 2014..Group psychotherapy referrals were more common in veterans who were older, unemployed, identified as an ethnic minority, and had a comorbid anxiety disorder. There were no significant predictors of medication referral. ..
- Current issues in the treatment of OC-spectrum conditionsChad T Wetterneck
Department of Psychology, University of Houston Clear Lake, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Bull Menninger Clin 74:141-66. 2010..Similarities among the disorders and areas in need of more research are discussed...
- Characteristics of U.S. veterans who begin and complete prolonged exposure and cognitive processing therapy for PTSDJuliette M Mott
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas, USA Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA South Central Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Trauma Stress 27:265-73. 2014..09, 95% CI = [0.03, 0.30], and a history of psychiatric inpatient hospitalization, OR = 0.13, 95% CI = [0.03, 0.54], were associated with decreased likelihood of EBP completion. ..
- Increasing engagement in evidence-based PTSD treatment through shared decision-making: a pilot studyJuliette M Mott
VA HSR and D Center of Excellence, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, MEDVAMC 152, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030
Mil Med 179:143-9. 2014..Results provide preliminary support for the feasibility and potential effectiveness of the intervention and suggest that larger-scale trials are warranted. ..
- A pilot study of a 12-week model of group-based exposure therapy for veterans with PTSDRoy John Sutherland
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Trauma Stress 25:150-6. 2012..84-.87) comparable to the standard protocol. The findings from this small sample indicate that the abbreviated 12-week GBET protocol is a potentially effective treatment for PTSD...
- Determinants of colorectal cancer screening behavior among Chinese AmericansEllen J Teng
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX, USA
Psychooncology 15:374-81. 2006..These findings highlight the need to make physicians more aware of the impact their recommendations have in determining CRC screening behavior among Chinese Americans...
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for late-life anxiety: Similarities and differences between Veteran and community participantsTerri L Barrera
Houston VA HSR and D Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX, United States Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, United States South Central Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center A Virtual Center, Houston, United States Electronic address
J Anxiety Disord 33:72-80. 2015..05). Our results underscore the complexity of treating Veterans with anxiety, and suggest that additional work is needed to improve the efficacy of CBT for Veterans, with particular attention to social support...
- Examining the influence of mild traumatic brain injury and posttraumatic stress disorder on alcohol use disorder in OEF/OIF veteransShannon R Miles
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030
Mil Med 180:45-52. 2015..Examine (1) impact of mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) on posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms, (2) frequency of alcohol use disorder in male and female combat Veterans, and (3) influence of PTSD and mTBI on alcohol use disorder...
- A review of cognitive behavioral therapy for panic disorder in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the rationale for interoceptive exposureTerri L Barrera
Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center, 152, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 21:144-54. 2014..Given the strong theoretical and empirical support for the use of IE, we suggest that mental health providers should consider incorporating IE into CBT interventions for patients with comorbid panic and COPD...
- Multi-component treatment for posttraumatic nightmares in Vietnam veterans: two case studiesJill Wanner
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 16:243-9. 2010..These preliminary findings provide encouraging data that warrant further study. Limitations and future research are discussed...
- When anxiety symptoms masquerade as medical symptoms: what medical specialists know about panic disorder and available psychological treatmentsEllen J Teng
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 15:314-21. 2008..1% recognized that psychologists could effectively treat panic. These findings demonstrate significant gaps in specialists' knowledge about panic and the need to enhance physician knowledge about panic attacks and their treatment...