Organization: Bastyr University
- A cross-over study of the effect of a single oral feeding of medium chain triglyceride oil vs. canola oil on post-ingestion plasma triglyceride levels in healthy menC Calabrese
Bastyr University Research Institute, 14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Altern Med Rev 4:23-8. 1999..001), which is consistent with several other studies involving short- and longer-term feeding with MCT oil. The effect of long-term usage of MCT oil on triglycerides is yet to be established...
- Positive correlation between the use of complementary and alternative medicine and internal health locus of controlMasa Sasagawa
Bastyr University Research Center, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA, USA
Explore (NY) 4:38-41. 2008..Earlier evidence has shown that a higher internal HLOC is a predictive factor of positive treatment outcomes...
- Neoplastic transformation of rat liver epithelial cells is enhanced by non-transferrin-bound ironDonald J Messner
Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Drive, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 8:2. 2008..The primary aim of this study was to investigate NTBI-related hepatic carcinogenesis using T51B rat liver epithelial cells, a non-neoplastic cell line previously developed for carcinogenicity and tumor promotion studies...
- Curcumin reduces the toxic effects of iron loading in rat liver epithelial cellsDonald J Messner
Bastyr University Research Center, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Liver Int 29:63-72. 2009..The aim of this study was to quantify its effects on iron overload and the resulting downstream toxic effects in cultured T51B rat liver epithelial cells...
- Acupuncture is underutilized in hospice and palliative medicineLeanna J Standish
Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington 98028, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 25:298-308. 2008..Acupuncture has potential as adjunctive care in palliative and end-of-life care, and the evidence warrants its inclusion in reimbursed palliative and end-of-life care in the United States...
- Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents: a randomized controlled trialWendy Weber
School of Naturopathic Medicine, Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington, USA
JAMA 299:2633-41. 2008..Stimulant medication can effectively treat 60% to 70% of youth with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Yet many parents seek alternative therapies, and Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) is 1 of the top 3 botanicals used...
- Immune defects in breast cancer patients after radiotherapyLeanna J Standish
Department of Research, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
J Soc Integr Oncol 6:110-21. 2008..The use of adjunctive immune therapies which target these specific defects may be warranted in the post-treatment period...
- Trametes versicolor mushroom immune therapy in breast cancerLeanna J Standish
Bastyr University Research Center, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
J Soc Integr Oncol 6:122-8. 2008..Immune therapy utilizing the polysaccharide constituents of Trametes versicolor (Tv) as concurrent adjuvant cancer therapy may be warranted as part of a comprehensive cancer treatment and secondary prevention strategy...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) by Washington State hospicesLeila E Kozak
Bastyr University Research Center, 14500 Juanita Drive NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 25:463-8. 2008..To assess the use of complementary and alternative medicine in hospice care in the state of Washington...
- Breast cancer and the immune systemLeanna J Standish
Research Center, Bastyr University, Seattle, WA, USA
J Soc Integr Oncol 6:158-68. 2008..Empirical support for the concept that immune status and immunomodulatory therapy have important roles in comprehensive breast cancer treatment is provided...
- Dietary restraint influences accuracies in estimating energy expenditure and energy intake among physically inactive malesCristen L Harris
School of Nutrition and Exercise Science, Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington 98028, USA
Am J Mens Health 4:33-40. 2010..05) associated with higher dietary restraint. The findings suggest that among sedentary males, there is an inability to accurately estimate calories, which has the potential to influence behaviors that affect weight management...
- Description of clinical risk factor changes during naturopathic care for type 2 diabetesRyan Bradley
Bastyr University Research Center, 14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
J Altern Complement Med 15:633-8. 2009..Publications suggest a high incidence of health promotion counseling in naturopathic practice, yet clinical data on risk factor changes are not available in the literature...
- Effect of oral magnesium supplementation on measures of airway resistance and subjective assessment of asthma control and quality of life in men and women with mild to moderate asthma: a randomized placebo controlled trialAlexandra G Kazaks
Department of Nutrition and Exercise Science, Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington 98028 4966, USA
J Asthma 47:83-92. 2010..Epidemiological data shows low dietary magnesium(Mg) may be related to incidence and progression of asthma...
- Pilates for improvement of muscle endurance, flexibility, balance, and postureJune A Kloubec
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Gustavus Adolphus College, St Peter, Minnesota, USA
J Strength Cond Res 24:661-7. 2010....
- Complementary and alternative medical therapies for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and autismWendy Weber
School of Naturopathic Medicine, Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Drive NE, Kenmore, WA 98021, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 54:983-1006; xii. 2007..The CAM evidence in ADHD is addressed, as is the CAM literature in autism...
- Frequency and characteristics of pediatric and adolescent visits in naturopathic medical practiceWendy Weber
School of Naturopathic Medicine, Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Pediatrics 120:e142-6. 2007..This work sought to identify naturopathic physicians in Washington State who frequently provide pediatric care and to describe the conditions treated and therapies recommended for children...
- A phase I trial of andrographolide in HIV positive patients and normal volunteersC Calabrese
Bastyr University Research Institute, Bastyr University, Washington 98028, USA
Phytother Res 14:333-8. 2000..Andrographolide may inhibit HIV-induced cell cycle dysregulation, leading to a rise in CD4(+) lymphocyte levels in HIV-1 infected individuals...
- Alternative medicine use in HIV-positive men and women: demographics, utilization patterns and health statusL J Standish
Bastyr University AIDS Research Center, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
AIDS Care 13:197-208. 2001..1,675 HIV-positive men and women using complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) were enrolled into the Bastyr University AIDS Research Center's Alternative Medicine Care Outcomes in AIDS (AMCOA) study...
- The Oregon Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine career development program: innovation in research training for complementary and alternative medicineKaren Ball Shaw
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research Portland, Oregon, USA
Teach Learn Med 15:45-51. 2003....
- Serum total homocysteine levels, folate, and B-vitamins intake and coronary heart disease risk factors among tri-ethnic college studentsSamer Koutoubi
Nutrition Department, Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington 98028, USA
Ethn Dis 14:64-72. 2004..009), and Black non-Hispanic females (P=.005). We observed gender and ethnic differences in tHcy levels of this young population with normal tHcy levels. Abnormally high tHcy concentrations appear to be acquired later in life...
- Electroencephalographic evidence of correlated event-related signals between the brains of spatially and sensory isolated human subjectsLeanna J Standish
Bastyr University University of Washington Consciousness Science Laboratory, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
J Altern Complement Med 10:307-14. 2004..To determine whether correlated event-related potentials (ERPs) can be detected between the brains of spatially and sensory isolated human subjects...
- Body composition assessment and coronary heart disease risk factors among college students of three ethnic groupsSamer Koutoubi
School of Nutrition and Exercise Science, Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Drive NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 97:784-91. 2005..This study identified and compared anthropometric measurements, body composition and coronary heart disease (CHD) risk factors among college students of three ethnic groups...
- The impact of nuts on diabetes and diabetes riskJennifer C Lovejoy
School of Nutrition and Exercise Science, Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Drive N E, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Curr Diab Rep 5:379-84. 2005..Thus, nuts can be a healthy dietary component for individuals with diabetes or those at risk for diabetes, providing overall caloric intake is regulated to maintain a healthy body weight...
- In vitro effects on proliferation, apoptosis and colony inhibition in ER-dependent and ER-independent human breast cancer cells by selected mushroom speciesYu Huan Gu
Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Drive NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Oncol Rep 15:417-23. 2006..and Flammulina velutipes contain potent antitumor compounds for breast cancer. Our finding is important due to the lack of chemotherapeutic and chemopreventive agents for ER- human breast cancer...
- Echinacea purpurea for prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in childrenWendy Weber
Naturopathic Medicine Department, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA 98028 4966, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:1021-6. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine whether Echinacea purpurea given to children for the treatment of acute upper respiratory tract infection (URI) was effective in reducing the risk of subsequent URI...
- The naturopathic medical research agenda: the future and foundation of naturopathic medical scienceLeanna J Standish
Bastyr University, School of Naturopathic Medicine, 14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore WA 98028, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:341-5. 2006
- Cytotoxic effect of oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus on human androgen-independent prostate cancer PC-3 cellsYu Huan Gu
School of Natural Health Sciences, Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington, USA
J Med Food 9:196-204. 2006..Since POE-F2 is also sensitive to heat and has strong 280 nm absorption, the results imply that active compounds recovered from P. ostreatus are water-soluble proteins or polypeptides...
- Algorithm for complementary and alternative medicine practice and research in type 2 diabetesRyan Bradley
Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:159-75. 2007..To develop a model to direct the prescription of nutritional and botanical medicines in the treatment of type 2 diabetes for both clinical and research purposes...
- CAM therapies among primary care patients using opioid therapy for chronic painSara Fleming
Bastyr University, Seattle, Washington 98122, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 7:15. 2007..However; there is limited information on the utilization and efficacy of CAM therapy in primary care patients receiving long-term opioid therapy...
- Role for toll-like receptor 4 in TNF-alpha secretion by murine macrophages in response to polysaccharide Krestin, a Trametes versicolor mushroom extractLisa A Price
Bastyr University, Department of Basic Sciences, School of Natural Health Sciences, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Fitoterapia 81:914-9. 2010..Receptor-mediated differences may be due to structural differences in beta glucans or non-glucan constituents...
- METHODS IN COMPLEMENTARY/ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE & HIV/AIDSLeanna Standish; Fiscal Year: 2001..The Center is seeking funding to complete analysis of both the AMCOA and Bastyr-Johns Hopkins MACS studies. ..
- North American Naturopathic Medical Research ConsortiumLeanna Standish; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Breast Cancer Integrative Oncology: Prospective Matched Controlled Outcomes StudyLEANNA J contact STANDISH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Methods: A partnership between Bastyr University and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center will create a case-control matched cohort of IO using breast ..
- Controlled Trial of an Herbal Therapy for ADHDWendy Weber; Fiscal Year: 2006..Standish, ND, PhD, Director of the Bastyr University Research Institute, who will provide guidance in the development of Ms...
- Telehealth delivery of a weight loss program in diabetesJennifer Lovejoy; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) To perform a pilot study in patients with Type 2 diabetes to determine whether the Healthium interface improves weight loss and diabetes outcomes relative to standard clinic-based treatment. ..
- Training in Complementary & Alternative Medical ResearchJennifer Lovejoy; Fiscal Year: 2006..b>Bastyr University, the nations? leading CAM training institution, has initiated this proposal in order to prepare scientist ..