- Proximal Roux-en-y Gastrojejunal Anastomosis with Pyloric Ring Resection Improves Gastric Emptying After PancreaticoduodenectomyOmar Barakat
Department of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, CHI St Luke s Health Baylor St Luke s Medical Center, 6624 Fannin, Suite 2180, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 20:914-23. 2016..We determined the efficiency of a new reconstruction technique, designed to preserve motilin-secreting cells and maximize the utility of their receptors, in reducing the incidence of DGE after pancreaticoduodenectomy...
- Topically applied 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (Dermabond) for prevention of postoperative pancreatic fistula after pancreaticoduodenectomyOmar Barakat
Department of General, Hepatobiliary, and Pancreatic Surgery, St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, 6624 Fannin Suite 2180, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 16:1499-507. 2012..We examined whether 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (Dermabond) topically applied to the pancreaticojejunostomy (PJ) anastomotic site after pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD) reduces the rate of postoperative pancreatic fistula (POPF)...
- Use of decellularized porcine liver for engineering humanized liver organOmar Barakat
Department of Hepatobiliary and Transplantation Surgery, St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Surg Res 173:e11-25. 2012....
- Extended right trisegmentectomy using in situ hypothermic perfusion with modified HTK solution for a large intrahepatic cholangiocarcinomaOmar Barakat
Department of Surgery, St Luke s Episcopal Hospital and Texas Heart Institute, Houston, Texas, USA
J Surg Oncol 95:587-92. 2007..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of extended right trisegmentectomy for the treatment of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in the Western literature...
- Complex liver resection for a large intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in a Jehovah's witness: a strategy to avoid transfusionOmar Barakat
Department of Surgery, the Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas, USA
J Surg Oncol 96:249-53. 2007..This approach could be a safe alternative for use in all patients with complex liver tumor, regardless of their religious beliefs, to reduce the risks and cost associated with blood transfusion...
- Clinical value of plasma hepatocyte growth factor measurement for the diagnosis of periampullary cancer and prognosis after pancreaticoduodenectomyOmar Barakat
Department of General Surgery, the Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Surg Oncol 102:816-20. 2010..We investigated the utility of plasma HGF level measurements in diagnosing periampullary cancer (PAC)...
- Major liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in the morbidly obese: a proposed strategy to improve outcomeOmar Barakat
Department of Surgery, Texas Heart Institute at St, Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas, USA
World J Surg Oncol 6:100. 2008..Morbid obesity strongly predicts morbidity and mortality in surgical patients. However, obesity's impact on outcome after major liver resection is unknown...
- Morphological features of advanced hepatocellular carcinoma as a predictor of downstaging and liver transplantation: an intention-to-treat analysisOmar Barakat
Department of Hepatobiliary and Liver Transplant Surgery, St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, 6624 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Liver Transpl 16:289-99. 2010..Our study suggests that, in patients with advanced HCC, morphological characteristics of the tumor may predict a good response to downstaging and an improved outcome after LT...
- Gastric radiation enteritis after intra-arterial yttrium-90 microsphere therapy for early stage hepatocellular carcinomaThomas A Aloia
Department of Surgery, Division of Transplantation, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Exp Clin Transplant 7:141-4. 2009..To demonstrate the potential risks associated with this treatment, in the following case report, we describe a patient with early stage hepatocellular carcinoma who experienced severe toxicity from intra-arterial radiotherapy...
- A randomized prospective multicenter trial of pancreaticoduodenectomy with and without routine intraperitoneal drainageGeorge van Buren
Baylor College of Medicine, The Elkins Pancreas Center, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, and The Dan L Duncan Cancer Center, Houston, TX Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL Department of Surgery, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA Department of Surgery, Baptist Memorial Hospital The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN Department of Surgery, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA Department of Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL and Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
Ann Surg 259:605-12. 2014..To test by randomized prospective multicenter trial the hypothesis that pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD) without the use of intraperitoneal drainage does not increase the frequency or severity of complications...
- Treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma with use of 90Y microspheres (TheraSphere): safety, tumor response, and survivalRiad Salem
Division of Interventional Radiology, Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:1627-39. 2005..To present safety and efficacy results obtained in treatment of a cohort of patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with use of 90Y microspheres (TheraSphere)...
- The effect of catheter-directed CT angiography on yttrium-90 radioembolization treatment of hepatocellular carcinomaThomas K Rhee
Section of Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:1085-91. 2005....
- Unresectable chemorefractory liver metastases: radioembolization with 90Y microspheres--safety, efficacy, and survivalKent T Sato
Department of Radiology, Section of Interventional Radiology, Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University, 676 N Saint Clair St, Suite 800, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Radiology 247:507-15. 2008..To prospectively evaluate the safety, efficacy, and survival of patients with chemorefractory liver metastases who have been treated with yttrium 90 ((90)Y) glass microspheres...
- Angiographic considerations in patients undergoing liver-directed therapyDavid M Liu
Department of Radiology, Interventional Radiology Section, St Vincent s Hospital, Portland, Oregon, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:911-35. 2005..Although the principles described in this article apply to all liver-directed therapies such as chemoembolization and administration of drug-coated microspheres, they apply particularly to intraarterial brachytherapy...