Genomes and Genes
John E Sims
Affiliation: Amgen Inc
- The IL-1 family: regulators of immunityJohn E Sims
Amgen, 1201 Amgen Court West, Seattle, Washington 98119, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 10:89-102. 2010..This Review provides an overview of both the long-established and more recently characterized members of the IL-1 family. In addition to their effects on immune cells, their involvement in human disease and disease models is discussed...
- IL-1 and IL-18 receptors, and their extended familyJohn E Sims
Immunex Corporation, 51 University Street, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Curr Opin Immunol 14:117-22. 2002..Moreover, it has become apparent that they are members of a larger family of related receptors, some of which can also be shown to contribute to host defense...
- Opposing activities of two novel members of the IL-1 ligand family regulate skin inflammationHal Blumberg
Department of Inflammation, 2Department of Pathology, 3Department of Biostatistics, Amgen, Seattle, WA 98119, USA
J Exp Med 204:2603-14. 2007..In summary, dysregulated expression of novel agonistic and antagonistic IL-1 family member ligands can promote cutaneous inflammation, revealing potential novel targets for the treatment of inflammatory skin disorders...
- 11 IL-1 family members in inflammatory skin diseaseJ Sims
Amgen, Molecular Immunology, Seattle WA 98119, USA
Ernst Schering Res Found Workshop . 2006..Moreover, when overexpressed in skin, they are capable of causing an inflammatory skin condition resembling that seen in human disease...
- Regulation of interleukin-1 activity is enhanced by cooperation between the interleukin-1 receptor type II and interleukin-1 receptor accessory proteinJohn E Sims
Amgen, 51 University Street, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Eur Cytokine Netw 14:77-81. 2003
- Interleukin-36 (IL-36) ligands require processing for full agonist (IL-36α, IL-36β, and IL-36γ) or antagonist (IL-36Ra) activityJennifer E Towne
Department of Inflammation Research, Amgen Incorporated, Seattle, Washington 98119, USA
J Biol Chem 286:42594-602. 2011..In addition, truncation of IL-36α, IL-36β, and IL-36γ dramatically enhances their activity, suggesting that post-translational processing is required for full activity...
- IL-1RL2 and its ligands contribute to the cytokine network in psoriasisHal Blumberg
Amgen, Seattle, WA 98119, USA
J Immunol 185:4354-62. 2010..Blockade of IL-1F6 receptor also resolves the inflammatory changes in human psoriatic lesional skin transplanted onto immunodeficient mice. These data suggest a role for IL-1F family members in psoriasis...
- The soluble form of IL-1 receptor accessory protein enhances the ability of soluble type II IL-1 receptor to inhibit IL-1 actionDirk E Smith
Amgen Corporation, 51 University Street, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Immunity 18:87-96. 2003..These findings suggest that the soluble form of IL-1R AcP contributes to the antagonism of IL-1 action by the type II decoy receptor, adding another layer of complexity to the regulation of IL-1 action...
- Interleukin (IL)-1F6, IL-1F8, and IL-1F9 signal through IL-1Rrp2 and IL-1RAcP to activate the pathway leading to NF-kappaB and MAPKsJennifer E Towne
Amgen Corporation, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
J Biol Chem 279:13677-88. 2004..We conclude that IL-1F6, IL-1F8, and IL-1F9 signal through IL-1Rrp2 and IL-1RAcP...
- A single amino acid difference between human and monkey interleukin (IL)-1beta dictates effective binding to soluble type II IL-1 receptorDirk E Smith
Amgen Corporation, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
J Biol Chem 277:47619-25. 2002..Structural and mutational analysis revealed that the unique sIL1R-II binding ability of human IL-1beta is due to a single amino acid difference compared with monkey IL-1beta...
- Neuron-specific effects of interleukin-1β are mediated by a novel isoform of the IL-1 receptor accessory proteinYangyang Huang
Department of Biological Sciences, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
J Neurosci 31:18048-59. 2011..AcPb also played a modulatory role in the activation of p38 MAPK, but had no effect on NF-κB signaling. The restricted expression of AcPb in CNS neurons, therefore, governs specific neuronal signaling and functional responses to IL-1β...
- A central nervous system-restricted isoform of the interleukin-1 receptor accessory protein modulates neuronal responses to interleukin-1Dirk E Smith
Department of Inflammation Research, Amgen, Seattle, WA 98119, USA
Immunity 30:817-31. 2009..These findings implicate AcPb as an additional component of the highly regulated IL-1 system and suggest that it may play a role in modulating CNS responses to IL-1 and the interplay between inflammation and neuronal survival...
- Externalization of the leaderless cytokine IL-1F6 occurs in response to lipopolysaccharide/ATP activation of transduced bone marrow macrophagesUnja Martin
Department of Inflammation, Amgen, Seattle, WA 98119, USA
J Immunol 183:4021-30. 2009....
- Genomic organization of the interleukin-1 locusScott L Taylor
Immunex Corporation, 51 University Street, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Genomics 79:726-33. 2002..There is a break in the mouse locus of > 100 kb, compared with the human locus, located between Il1b and the most centromere-proximal of the novel mouse genes. The mouse seems to be missing an ortholog of human IL1F7...
- SIGIRR, a negative regulator of Toll-like receptor-interleukin 1 receptor signalingDavid Wald
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Department of Immunology, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Nat Immunol 4:920-7. 2003..Finally, biochemical analysis indicated that SIGIRR binds to the TLR-IL-1R signaling components in a ligand-dependent way. Our data show that SIGIRR functions as a biologically important modulator of TLR-IL-1R signaling...
- Essential pathogenic role of endogenous IL-18 in murine diabetes induced by multiple low doses of streptozotocin. Prevention of hyperglycemia and insulitis by a recombinant IL-18-binding protein: Fc constructFerdinando Nicoletti
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Eur J Immunol 33:2278-86. 2003..We conclude that intact IL-18 function is essential for the full diabetogenic effect of low dose STZ in C57BL/6 mice...
- Purification, cloning, and characterization of Nek8, a novel NIMA-related kinase, and its candidate substrate Bicd2Pamela M Holland
Immunex Corporation, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
J Biol Chem 277:16229-40. 2002..Treatment of cells with nocodazole leads to dramatic reorganization of Bicd2, and correlates with Nek8 phosphorylation. This may be indicative of a role for Nek8 and Bicd2 associated with cell cycle independent microtubule dynamics...