Affiliation: Amgen Inc
- Erythropoiesis-stimulating agentsSteve Elliott
Department of Hematology, Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Cancer Treat Res 157:55-74. 2011..In this chapter, the control of Epo levels and erythropoiesis, the various forms of ESAs used commercially, and their physical and biological properties are discussed...
- Epo receptors are not detectable in primary human tumor tissue samplesSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e68083. 2013..Taken together these results raise questions about the hypothesis that most tumors express high levels of functional EpoR protein. ..
- Abuse of medicines for performance enhancement in sport: why is this a problem for the pharmaceutical industry?Steve Elliott
Department of Hematology, Amgen, Inc, One Amgen Center, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Bioanalysis 4:1681-90. 2012..A strong, united front between the biopharmaceutical industry and anti-doping agencies is essential to counter the misuse of medicines for performance enhancement, as well as to promote fair play and clean sport...
- Anti-Epo receptor antibodies do not predict Epo receptor expressionSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Blood 107:1892-5. 2006..We concluded that these antibodies have limited utility for detecting EpoR. Thus, reports of EpoR expression in tumor cells using these antibodies should be viewed with caution...
- Enhancement of therapeutic protein in vivo activities through glycoengineeringSteve Elliott
Amgen, One Amgen Center, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Nat Biotechnol 21:414-21. 2003..This strategy has been validated clinically for glycoengineered rHuEPO (darbopoetin alfa)...
- Structural requirements for additional N-linked carbohydrate on recombinant human erythropoietinSteve Elliott
Amgen, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
J Biol Chem 279:16854-62. 2004..However, it was noted that recombinant human erythropoietin analogs that were hyperglycosylated at sites that were normally buried had altered protein structures. This suggests that carbohydrate addition precedes polypeptide folding...
- Control of rHuEPO biological activity: the role of carbohydrateSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, Calif 91320, USA
Exp Hematol 32:1146-55. 2004..Glycosylation analogs with altered N-linked carbohydrate content were compared with rHuEPO to elucidate the relationship between carbohydrate content and activity...
- Identification of a sensitive anti-erythropoietin receptor monoclonal antibody allows detection of low levels of EpoR in cellsSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, United States
J Immunol Methods 352:126-39. 2010..These results indicate that A82 can be used to examine low level EpoR expression in cells by western and flow cytometry allowing an improved understanding of EpoR expression and metabolism...
- Erythropoietins: a common mechanism of actionSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 1799, USA
Exp Hematol 36:1573-84. 2008..PEGylation of EPO (addition of polyethylene glycol) has been used to further extend the terminal half-life. Also, new strategies are under investigation for stimulating erythropoiesis through activation of the EPO receptor...
- Lack of expression and function of erythropoietin receptors in the kidneySteve Elliott
Hematology, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:2733-45. 2012..Recently positive and negative control cell types were validated and a sensitive and specific anti-EpoR antibody (A82) that detects low levels of EpoR protein was described...
- Glycoengineering: the effect of glycosylation on the properties of therapeutic proteinsAngus M Sinclair
Amgen, Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 1799, USA
J Pharm Sci 94:1626-35. 2005..Carbohydrates on DA and other molecules can also increase molecular stability, solubility, increase in vivo biological activity, and reduce immunogenicity. These properties are discussed...
- Investigation of the effects of altered receptor binding activity on the clearance of erythropoiesis-stimulating proteins: Nonerythropoietin receptor-mediated pathways may play a major roleBalaji Agoram
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, California 91320 1799, USA
J Pharm Sci 98:2198-211. 2009....
- Expression and function of erythropoietin receptors in tumors: implications for the use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in cancer patientsAngus M Sinclair
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
Cancer 110:477-88. 2007..For this report, the authors reviewed the biology of EpoR in erythropoiesis and compared and contrasted the reported findings on the role of ESAs and EpoR in tumors...
- Kinetics of haematopoietic recovery after dose-intensive chemo/radiotherapy in mice: optimized erythroid support with darbepoetin alphaCynthia Hartley
Departments of Hematology Research and Pharmacokinetics, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Br J Haematol 122:623-36. 2003..There was no evidence that erythropoietic agents exacerbated anaemia, even when administered immediately prior to CRT in an attempt to "prime" erythroid cells for the effects of CRT...
- Functional EpoR Pathway Utilization Is Not Detected in Primary Tumor Cells Isolated from Human Breast, Non-Small Cell Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Tumor TissuesScott D Patterson
Department of Medical Sciences, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0122149. 2015..Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents did not act directly upon isolated tumor cells to stimulate pathways known to promote proliferation or survival of human tumor cells isolated from primary and metastatic tumor tissues. ..
- Drug-induced and antibody-mediated pure red cell aplasia: a review of literature and current knowledgeRalph Smalling
Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, M S 24 1 C, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 1799, USA
Biotechnol Annu Rev 10:237-50. 2004..A literature review was undertaken to document the reports of drug-induced PRCA, with all drugs and drug regimens. The sudden increase in reports of antibody-mediated PRCA is discussed...
- Progress in detecting cell-surface protein receptors: the erythropoietin receptor exampleSteve Elliott
Department of Hematology Oncology, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Mail Stop 15 2 A, Thousand Oaks, CA, 91320, USA
Ann Hematol 93:181-92. 2014..Critically analyzing data from tests for cell-surface receptors such as EpoR requires understanding the techniques utilized and demonstrating that results are consistent with current knowledge about receptor biology. ..
- The effect of erythropoietin on normal and neoplastic cellsSteve Elliott
Oncology Research, Amgen, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Biologics 6:163-89. 2012..Here, we review the biology of endogenous Epo and EpoR expression and function in erythropoiesis, and evaluate the evidence pertaining to the expression of EpoR on normal nonhematopoietic and tumor cells...
- Comparison of the isoelectric focusing patterns of darbepoetin alfa, recombinant human erythropoietin, and endogenous erythropoietin from human urineDon H Catlin
UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory, Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Clin Chem 48:2057-9. 2002