Joan K Lunney
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Probing genetic control of swine responses to PRRSV infection: current progress of the PRRS host genetics consortiumJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, BARC, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
BMC Proc 5:S30. 2011..Understanding the role of host genetics in resistance to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) infection, and the effects of PRRS on pig health and related growth, are goals of the PRRS Host Genetics Consortium (PHGC)...
- Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome Virus (PRRSV): Pathogenesis and Interaction with the Immune SystemJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, BARC ARS USDA, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 email
Annu Rev Anim Biosci 4:129-54. 2016..Finally, we highlight the gaps in our knowledge base and the need for advanced molecular and immune tools to stimulate PRRS research and field applications. ..
- Changes in leukocyte subsets of pregnant gilts experimentally infected with porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus and relationships with viral load and fetal outcomeAndrea Ladinig
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Vet Res 45:128. 2014..Although many questions regarding the immune responses remain unanswered, these findings provide insight and clues that may help reduce the impact of PRRSv in pregnant gilts. ..
- Genome-wide association and genomic prediction for host response to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus infectionNicholas J Boddicker
Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Genet Sel Evol 46:18. 2014..Phenotypic data and 60 K SNP genotypes from eight trials of ~200 pigs from different commercial crosses were used to address these objectives...
- Increasing gene discovery and coverage using RNA-seq of globin RNA reduced porcine blood samplesIgseo Choi
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, MD, USA
BMC Genomics 15:954. 2014..Our objectives were to develop a porcine specific GR protocol and to evaluate the GR effects on gene discovery and sequence read coverage in RNA-sequencing (RNA-seq) experiments...
- Endometrial gene expression profiling in pregnant Meishan and Yorkshire pigs on day 12 of gestationTing Gu
Key Laboratory of Agricultural Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction of Ministry of Education, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, P, R, China
BMC Genomics 15:156. 2014..However, the gene expression and regulatory networks in the endometrium contributing to the establishment of the maternal: placental interface remain poorly understood...
- The 9th International Veterinary Immunology SymposiumJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 148:1-5. 2012..Kazuya Yamanouchi for "outstanding contributions to the veterinary immunology community" and its 2010 Distinguished Veterinary Immunologist Award to Dr. Douglas F. Antczak for "outstanding research on equine immunology"...
- Report from the second international symposium on animal genomics for animal health: critical needs, challenges and potential solutionsSteve C Bishop
Office of National Programs, ARS, REE, USDA, 5601 Sunnyside Ave, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
BMC Proc 5:S1. 2011..This report captures key points made by symposium participants during the roundtable discussion and serves as a roadmap to steer future research priorities in animal genomics research...
- Analysis of porcine transcriptional response to Salmonella enterica serovar Choleraesuis suggests novel targets of NFkappaB are activated in the mesenteric lymph nodeYanfang Wang
Department of Animal Science, and Center for Integrated Animal Genomics, Iowa State University, 2255 Kildee Hall, Ames, IA 50010, USA
BMC Genomics 9:437. 2008..Choleraesuis at acute (8 hours (h), 24 h and 48 h post-inoculation (pi)) and chronic stages (21 days (d) pi)...
- Molecular genetics of the swine major histocompatibility complex, the SLA complexJoan K Lunney
USDA, ARS, BARC, APDL, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 33:362-74. 2009..It concludes by discussing the role of SLA genes in swine models of transplantation, xenotransplantation, cancer and allergy and in swine production traits and responses to infectious disease and vaccines...
- Genetic control of host resistance to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) infectionJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, ANRI, ARS, USDA, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Virus Res 154:161-9. 2010..Additionally these studies may reveal alternate PRRS control mechanisms that can be exploited for novel drugs, biotherapeutics and vaccine designs...
- Interleukin-8, interleukin-1beta, and interferon-gamma levels are linked to PRRS virus clearanceJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
Viral Immunol 23:127-34. 2010..These results indicate that while each cytokine individually has minor effects on the length of virus replication, the combination of cytokine activities should be considered when understanding the role of immunity in persistence...
- Deciphering the involvement of innate immune factors in the development of the host response to PRRSV vaccinationAtabak R Royaee
Animal Parasitic Disease Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, ARS, BARC, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 102:199-216. 2004..Thus, while exogenous addition of IFNA during PRRSV vaccination has an impact on the development of a Th1 immune response, other alterations will be required for substantial boosting of virus-specific protection...
- Advances in swine biomedical model genomicsJoan K Lunney
APDL, BARC, ARS, United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Int J Biol Sci 3:179-84. 2007....
- Veterinary immunology: opportunities and challengesJoan K Lunney
Immunology and Disease Resistance Laboratory, Building 1040, Room 105, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Trends Immunol 23:4-6. 2002..The 6th International Veterinary Immunology Symposium (6IVIS) was held in Uppsala, Sweden from 15-20 July 2001...
- Localized multigene expression patterns support an evolving Th1/Th2-like paradigm in response to infections with Toxoplasma gondii and Ascaris suumHarry D Dawson
Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Dept of Agriculture, Bldg 307C, Room 214, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Infect Immun 73:1116-28. 2005....
- Structural and functional annotation of the porcine immunomeHarry D Dawson
USDA ARS, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Diet, Genomics, Immunology Laboratory, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
BMC Genomics 14:332. 2013..The completion of the pig genome provides the opportunity to annotate the pig immunome, and compare and contrast pig and human immune systems...
- Comparison of detection methods for Toxoplasma gondii in naturally and experimentally infected swineDolores E Hill
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, BARC East Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Parasitol 141:9-17. 2006..gondii infection in tissues from naturally and experimentally infected pigs. The results indicate that a serum-based ELISA is the most sensitive method, of those tested, for detection of T. gondii infected swine...
- Identification of key immune mediators regulating T helper 1 responses in swineHarry D Dawson
Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA, Bldg 307C, Room 213, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 100:105-11. 2004..Based on their demonstrated utility in establishing an immune response pathway, these PCR assays should be valuable additions to our swine immune toolkit...
- Expressed gene sequence and bioactivity of the IFNgamma-response chemokine CXCL11 of swine and cattlePatricia Boyd
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, ANRI, ARS, USDA, Building 1040, Room 103, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 136:170-5. 2010..This work provides valuable new reagents for investigating basic immunity as well as vaccine and disease responses in swine and cattle, goals of the U.S. Veterinary Immune Reagent Network which supported this effort...
- Perspectives for artificial insemination and genomics to improve global swine populationsRoger J Gerrits
Biotechnology and Germplasm Laboratory, ANRI, BARC, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, MD, USA
Theriogenology 63:283-99. 2005..AI, in vitro embryo production and embryo transfer will be the preferred means of implementing these new technologies to enhance efficiency of pig production in the future...