Affiliation: University of Puerto Rico
- The role of gender on HIV/AIDS stigma among medical students in Puerto Rico: implications for training and service deliveryNELSON VARAS-DIAZ
Center for Social Research, University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
P R Health Sci J 31:220-2. 2012..This study aimed to assess the role of gender on HIV/AIDS stigma among 507 medical students in Puerto Rico...
- Development and validation of a culturally appropriate HIV/AIDS Stigma Scale for Puerto Rican health professionals in trainingNELSON VARAS-DIAZ
Graduate School of Social Work Beatriz Lassalle, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR, Puerto Rico
AIDS Care 21:1259-70. 2009..These dimensions in turn were subcomponents of a higher-order general stigma factor. Implications and limitations of these findings are discussed...
- Stigmatization of illicit drug use among Puerto Rican health professionals in trainingNELSON VARAS-DIAZ
University of Puerto Rico Center for the Study of Social Differences and Health Graduate School of Social Work, San Juan
P R Health Sci J 29:109-16. 2010..Results evidence the continued existence of stigmatizing attitudes among this population. We discuss some of the implications for public health and potential strategies for action...
- Testing the efficacy of an HIV stigma reduction intervention with medical students in Puerto Rico: the SPACES projectNELSON VARAS-DIAZ
Center for Social Research, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Int AIDS Soc 16:18670. 2013..Furthermore, Latino health care professionals have been absent from these intervention efforts even though the epidemic has affected this population disproportionately...
- Evaluation of an HIV/AIDS prevention intervention targeting Latino gay men and men who have sex with men in Puerto RicoJose Toro-Alfonso
University Center for Psychological Services and Research, Department of Psychology, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:445-56. 2002..Participants demonstrated lower risk indexes after the intervention. This model represents a culturally competent and relevant intervention for similar communities...
- Qualitative Contributions to a Randomized Controlled Trial Addressing HIV/AIDS-Stigma in Medical StudentsMelissa Marzán-Rodríguez
University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Qual Rep 20:2012-2024. 2015..The gathered information is important in order to have a deep understanding of how attitudinal change happens as part of our intervention strategies...
- Experiences of Violence Among Transgender Women in Puerto Rico: An Underestimated ProblemSheilla L Rodríguez-Madera
a School of Public Health, Department of Social Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Homosex 64:209-217. 2017..Participants (N = 59 transgender women) were recruited via respondent driven sampling. Implications and specific recommendations are discussed in light of these findings...
- Intersections and evolution of 'Butch-trans' categories in Puerto Rico: Needs and barriers of an invisible populationAlíxida G Ramos-Pibernus
a Department of Social Science, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Glob Public Health 11:966-80. 2016..We provide several recommendations to address public health concerns of this understudied, marginalised community. ..
- The challenge of a positive self-image in a colonial context: a psychology of liberation for the Puerto Rican experienceNELSON VARAS-DIAZ
CUSEP, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
Am J Community Psychol 31:103-15. 2003..They also identified situations which promoted negative and positive emotions. The role of a community psychology of liberation in understanding these phenomena as well as in embracing resistance to colonization is discussed...
- The role of emotions in the reduction of HIV/AIDS stigma among physicians in trainingNELSON VARAS-DIAZ
a Institute for Psychological Research IPSI, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
AIDS Care 28:376-83. 2016....