Affiliation: University of Southampton
- An evidence-based alcohol policyNick Sheron
Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Gut 57:1341-4. 2008
- Developing a 'traffic light' test with potential for rational early diagnosis of liver fibrosis and cirrhosis in the communityNick Sheron
Clinical and Experimental Sciences Academic Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton
Br J Gen Pract 62:e616-24. 2012..Liver disease develops silently and presents late, with often fatal complications...
- Arterialised hepatic nodules in the Fontan circulation: hepatico-cardiac interactionsTimothy Bryant
Department of Radiology, Southampton General Hospital, UK
Int J Cardiol 151:268-72. 2011..They occur especially when central venous pressures are high, and very likely indicate arterialisation of hepatic blood flow and reciprocal portal venous deprivation. The underlying pathology is most likely focal nodular hyperplasia...
- Drinking patterns, dependency and life-time drinking history in alcohol-related liver diseaseJennifer Hatton
Liver Unit, Division of Infection, Inflammation and Repair, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Addiction 104:587-92. 2009..To examine the hypothesis that increases in UK liver deaths are a result of episodic or binge drinking as opposed to regular harmful drinking...
- Are the opportunities to prevent alcohol related liver deaths in the UK in primary or secondary care? A retrospective clinical review and prospective interview studyClare Verrill
Histopathology Department, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton, SO16 6YD, UK
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 1:16. 2006..In the second part of the study, we interviewed patients with alcoholic liver disease about their contact with health services...
- Feasibility of detection and intervention for alcohol-related liver disease in the community: the Alcohol and Liver Disease Detection study (ALDDeS)Nick Sheron
Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton
Br J Gen Pract 63:e698-705. 2013..In the past 15 years mortality rates from liver disease have doubled in the UK. Brief alcohol advice is cost effective, but clinically meaningful reductions in alcohol consumption only occur in around 1 in 10 individuals...
- Direct measurement of porto-systemic gradient in a failing Fontan circulationMadhavi Velpula
Department of Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Cardiothoracic Division, Southampton University Hospital, Southampton, UK
Congenit Heart Dis 6:175-8. 2011..The patient's histopathological findings were identical to that previously documented in Fontan patients, raising the question of whether these subdiaphragmatic hemodynamics are representative of the broader failing Fontan population...
- Binge drinking, sexual behaviour and sexually transmitted infection in the UKK Standerwick
School of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Int J STD AIDS 18:810-3. 2007..Binge drinking was increased in the 29% diagnosed with a bacterial sexually transmitted infection (P < 0.003). Of the women, 19% reported an unwanted pregnancy, with 28% drinking beforehand...
- Hepatic changes in the failing Fontan circulationChristoph H Kiesewetter
Southampton General Hospital, University Hospitals Southampton, Southampton, UK
Heart 93:579-84. 2007..The failing Fontan circulation is associated with hepatic impairment. The nature of this liver injury is poorly defined...
- Alcohol-related cirrhosis--early abstinence is a key factor in prognosis, even in the most severe casesClare Verrill
Department of Histopathology, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Addiction 104:768-74. 2009..To determine the effect of pathological severity of cirrhosis on survival in patients with alcohol-related cirrhosis...
- Assessing feasibility and acceptability of a brief intervention for risky alcohol consumption in sexual health clinic attendees: a randomised controlled trialPaul Roderick
Academic Unit of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 42:143-51. 2016..To assess the feasibility and acceptability of screening attendees at a sexual health clinic (SHC) for alcohol misuse, and delivering a brief intervention (BI). To explore the effect of this BI on drinking and sexual behaviour...
- A severe case of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome with liver dysfunction and malnutritionAndrew J Davis
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton, SO16 6YD, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:779-82. 2002....
- Chemokine expression in IBD. Mucosal chemokine expression is unselectively increased in both ulcerative colitis and Crohn's diseaseCharmian Banks
Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
J Pathol 199:28-35. 2003..The results supported the hypothesis that the degree of local inflammation and tissue damage in UC and CD is dependent on local expression of specific chemokines within IBD tissues...
- Organotypic liver culture in a fluid-air interface using slices of neonatal rat and adult human tissue--a model of fibrosis in vitroClare Verrill
Division of Infection, Inflammation and Repair, University of Southampton, Level D, South Academic Block, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 48:103-10. 2002..We have adapted a slice culture technique developed originally for organotypic culture of neural tissue to the liver...
- Unexpectedly high incidence of indigenous acute hepatitis E within South Hampshire: time for routine testing?Aminda N De Silva
Department of Gastroenterology, Southampton University Hospital NHS Trust, Southampton, UK
J Med Virol 80:283-8. 2008..Routine testing can clarify hepatitis E epidemiology whilst improving the clinical management of patients with acute liver disease...
- Sudden unexpected death in alcohol misuse--an unrecognized public health issue?Alexa H Templeton
University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, Southampton, UK
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:3070-81. 2009....
- Reducing the harms of alcohol in the UKIan Gilmore
BMJ 335:1271-2. 2007
- Alcohol-related harm--a growing crisis: time for actionClare Verrill
Southampton, University Hospitals, NHS Trust
Clin Med 5:154-7. 2005
- Severe alcohol-induced liver disease and the alcohol dependence syndromeStewart Smith
Liver Unit, University of Southampton Medical School and Southampton University Hospitals Trust, UK
Alcohol Alcohol 41:274-7. 2006....
- Alcohol in Europe: the EU alcohol forumNick Sheron
Clin Med 7:323-4. 2007
- Alcohol: who is at risk?Nick Sheron
Southampton General Hospital and University of Southampton Medical School
Practitioner 249:694, 696, 698-701. 2005