Affiliation: University of Birmingham
- Effects of physical activity on the development and progression of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetes: retrospective analysis of the DCCT studyCaroline Bt Makura
School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
BMC Endocr Disord 13:37. 2013..To examine the effects of physical activity on the development and progression of microvascular complications in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- The time has come to test the beta cell preserving effects of exercise in patients with new onset type 1 diabetesParth Narendran
The Institute of Biomedical Research, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Diabetologia 58:10-8. 2015..We conclude by proposing that there is now a need for studies to explore whether exercise can preserve beta cell in patients newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes...
- Does exercise improve glycaemic control in type 1 diabetes? A systematic review and meta-analysisAmy Kennedy
School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e58861. 2013..Whilst regular exercise is advocated for people with type 1 diabetes, the benefits of this therapy are poorly delineated. Our objective was to review the evidence for a glycaemic benefit of exercise in type 1 diabetes...
- Exercise to preserve beta cell function in recent-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus (EXTOD)--a study protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trialNadia Lascar
Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Trials 14:180. 2013..The aim of EXTOD is to obtain the information required to design a formal study of exercise and beta cell preservation in newly diagnosed patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Inhibition of islet immunoreactivity by adiponectin is attenuated in human type 1 diabetesTerence T L Pang
Centre of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Dental and Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston B15 2TT, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:E418-28. 2013..Adiponectin is an adipocyte-derived cytokine with insulin-sensitizing and antiinflammatory properties. These dual actions have not previously been examined in the context of human disease...
- Glycaemic control in Type 2 diabetes--not for sideliningP Narendran
Institute of Biomedical Research, University of Birmingham and University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham, UK
Diabet Med 25:639-42. 2008
- Aggressive and devastating neuropathy: the consequence of untreated slow-onset type 1 diabetesP Narendran
Department of Diabetes, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
QJM 104:523-6. 2011..These rare and unusual cases illustrate the variable nature of the natural history of T1D as well as its microvascular complications...
- Inpatient electronic prescribing data can be used to identify 'lost' discharge codes for diabetesK Nirantharakumar
University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Diabet Med 29:e430-5. 2012..We wished to estimate the frequency of missed discharge diagnostic codes for diabetes and the impact missed codes would have on diabetes-related payments to the hospital...
- Hypoglycaemia is associated with increased length of stay and mortality in people with diabetes who are hospitalizedK Nirantharakumar
University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Diabet Med 29:e445-8. 2012..To study the length of stay and inpatient mortality of patients with diabetes who had an episode of hypoglycaemia in a non critical care setting at University Hospital Birmingham, UK...
- Relationship between coronary microvascular dysfunction and cardiac energetics impairment in type 1 diabetes mellitusG Nallur Shivu
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Circulation 121:1209-15. 2010..In the present study, we assessed the role of microvascular dysfunction in the development of impaired cardiac energetics in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus...
- Addressing insulin resistance in Type 1 diabetesT T L Pang
Division of Medical Sciences, Medical School, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Diabet Med 25:1015-24. 2008..This includes a meta-analysis of controlled trials of adjuvant metformin in Type 1 diabetes...