Affiliation: University of Ulster
- Developing person-centred care: addressing contextual challenges through practice developmentBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research and Person Centred Practice Research Centre, University of Ulster Northern Ireland
Online J Issues Nurs 16:3. 2011....
- A realist review of interventions and strategies to promote evidence-informed healthcare: a focus on change agencyBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing and Health Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Shore Road, Newtownabbey, BT37 0QB, Antrim, CO, Northern Ireland
Implement Sci 8:107. 2013..This review adopts a realist approach and addresses the following question: What change agency characteristics work, for whom do they work, in what circumstances and why?..
- Realist synthesis: illustrating the method for implementation researchJo Rycroft-Malone
School of Healthcare Sciences, Bangor University, Fron Heulog, Ffriddoedd Road, Bangor, UK
Implement Sci 7:33. 2012....
- Appreciating the 'person' in long-term careBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research, School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
Int J Older People Nurs 7:284-94. 2012....
- FIRE (Facilitating Implementation of Research Evidence): a study protocolKate Seers
Royal College of Nursing Research Institute, School of Health and Social Studies, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Implement Sci 7:25. 2012..Improving continence care has the potential to improve the quality of life for older people and reduce the costs associated with providing incontinence aids...
- Implementing health research through academic and clinical partnerships: a realistic evaluation of the Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC)Jo Rycroft-Malone
Centre for Health Related Research, School of Healthcare Sciences, Bangor University, Bangor, Gwynedd, UK
Implement Sci 6:74. 2011..This protocol describes an externally funded evaluation that focuses on implementation mechanisms and processes within three CLAHRCs. It seeks to uncover what works, for whom, how, and in what circumstances...
- Exploring person-centredness: a qualitative meta-synthesis of four studiesBrendan McCormack
Person Centred Practice Research Centre, Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Co Antrim, UK
Scand J Caring Sci 24:620-34. 2010..The person-centred nursing framework has utility in helping to understand the dynamics of the components of person-centredness and overcoming the siloed nature of many current perspectives...
- Developing person-centred practice: nursing outcomes arising from changes to the care environment in residential settings for older peopleBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Antrim, Northern Ireland
Int J Older People Nurs 5:93-107. 2010..To present the nursing outcomes from the evaluation of developments in the care environment in residential settings for older people...
- Development and testing of the Context Assessment Index (CAI)Brendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 6:27-35. 2009..To test the psychometric properties of the Context Assessment Index (CAI)...
- Older persons' experiences of whole systems: the impact of health and social care organizational structuresBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, UK
J Nurs Manag 16:105-14. 2008..An in-depth case study of whole systems working...
- The meaning of practice development: evidence from the fieldBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster
Collegian 10:13-6. 2003..Finally, the consequences of practice development activity will be outlined and the need for further research in this area highlighted...
- Developing the practice context to enable more effective pain management with older people: an action research approachDonna Brown
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Shore Road, Newtownabbey, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland
Implement Sci 6:9. 2011....
- The development and pilot testing of an instrument to measure nurses' working environment: the Nursing Context IndexPaul Slater
Royal Hospitals Trusts Institute of Nursing Research, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 6:173-82. 2009..However, few studies have attempted to quantify the outcomes from the adoption of person-centered nursing. The lack of outcome measurement is in part influenced by the lack of a standardized instrument to measure person-centered nursing...
- An evaluation of the role of the clinical education facilitatorBrendan McCormack
School of Nursing, University of Ulster Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:135-44. 2006..The objective of the study was to identify whether clinical education facilitators made a difference to the learning experiences of nurses in a large teaching hospital...
- A conceptual framework for person-centred practice with older peopleBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster, Jordanstown and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Int J Nurs Pract 9:202-9. 2003..The factors that enable person-centredness to operate in practice are identified as the patient's values, the nurse's values and the context of the care environment. Considerations for implementing the model in practice are highlighted...
- Practice development: realising active learning for sustainable changeBrendan McCormack
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Contemp Nurse 32:92-104. 2009....
- An exploration of the factor structure of the nursing work indexPaul Slater
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Jordanstown and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:30-9. 2007..Within the NWI-R a four-factor model has been reported as being important in determining good organisational context, yet researchers have recently questioned the stability of the four-factor structure...
- Determining older people's needs for care by Registered Nurses: the Nursing Needs Assessment ToolPaul Slater
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Belfast, UK
J Adv Nurs 52:601-8. 2005....
- Development of a model of situational leadership in residential care for older peopleBrighide M Lynch
HSE Dublin North East, Primary, Community and Continuing Care Services, Dundalk, County Louth, UK
J Nurs Manag 19:1058-69. 2011..The aim of the present study was to present the process used to develop a composite model of situational leadership enacted within a person-centred nursing framework in residential care...
- The characteristics, qualities and skills of practice developersBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster, Jordanstown, UK
J Clin Nurs 12:317-25. 2003..Four role functions are presented in the paper, as well as qualities and skills needed to operationalize the identified role functions. A clear picture of the skills and qualities required by practice developers emerges from the data...
- Testing of the factor structure of the nursing work index-revisedPaul Slater
Institute of Nursing Research, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 7:123-34. 2010....
- Using the caring dimensions inventory as an indicator of person-centred nursingTanya McCance
Belfast Trust, Nursing R and D, University of Ulster, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 18:409-17. 2009..This paper reports findings from a large-scale quasi-experimental study that used a measure of caring as a means of evaluating person-centred nursing and aims to illustrate the synergy between the concepts of caring and person-centredness...
- Supernumerary status: definition, operationalisation and its effect in practiceBrian McGowan
University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Newtownabbey, UK
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 19:308-17. 2003..However, whilst making a positive contribution to the recruitment and development of nurses new to the intensive care environment, further study is required to gauge the long-term effect of this programme on retention of staff...
- Exploring psychological safety as a component of facilitation within the Promoting Action on Research Implementation in Health Services frameworkDonna Brown
School of Nursing, Ulster University, Newtownabbey, UK
J Clin Nurs 25:2921-32. 2016..To explore holistic facilitation as an approach to enable the healthcare team to critically analyse practice and enhance patient care...
- Patients' experiences of in-hospital care when nursing staff were engaged in a practice development programme to promote person-centredness: A narrative analysis studyElizabeth A Laird
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Northland Road, Londonderry BT48 7JL, United Kingdom Electronic address
Int J Nurs Stud 52:1454-62. 2015..This is in response to the significant challenges within health and social care organisations, which impact on the care experience for patients and their families...
- The Relationship of Workplace Culture With Nursing-Sensitive Organizational FactorsNina Hahtela
Author Affiliations PhD student Ms Hahtela, Biostatistician Mr Helminen, Professor Dr Suominen, School of Health Sciences, Nursing Science, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland Professor Dr McCormack, Queen Margaret University, School of Health Sciences, Musselburgh, East Lothian, UK Professor Dr Paavilainen, University of Tampere, School of Health Sciences, Nursing Science, South Ostrobothnia Hospital District, Finland Research Fellow Dr Slater, Institute of Nursing and Health Research, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Belfast, Northern Ireland
J Nurs Adm 45:370-6. 2015..The aim of this study is to explore the relations of workplace culture on nursing-sensitive organizational factors...
- Opening doors of perception. Creativity, learning and developing practiceBrendan McCormack
Nursing Research and Practice Development, University of Ulster Hospital Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Br J Perioper Nurs 14:439-41, 443-6. 2004..The article aims to challenge issues about nurse education and explore ways in which the nursing profession can move debates about the values underpinning the preparation of undergraduate nurses...
- An exploration of the factors that influence the implementation of evidence into practiceJo Rycroft-Malone
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Oxford, UK
J Clin Nurs 13:913-24. 2004..This study sets out to scrutinize the elements of the framework through empirical enquiry...
- Developing practice: individual and organisational responsibilitiesBrendan McCormack
Aust J Adv Nurs 20:6-7. 2002
- Integrated care for older people: methodological issues in conducting a systematic literature reviewJan Reed
Centre for Care of Older People, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:78-85. 2007..The review was conducted as one strand of a research project aiming to inform the development of locality-based integrated care for older people in Northern Ireland, a development driven by observations of user needs...
- Re-defining nursing expertise in the United kingdomSally Hardy
Nursing and Midwifery Research Unit, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of East Anglia, Norwich, London
Nurs Sci Q 19:260-4. 2006..The Expertise in Practice Project demonstrates that nurses affect change and facilitate performance and organizational development...
- Development of a framework for person-centred nursingBrendan McCormack
Professor of Nursing Research Director of Nursing Research and Practice Development, University of Ulster and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
J Adv Nurs 56:472-9. 2006..This paper presents the development and content of a person-centred nursing framework...
- Determining factors that have an impact upon effective evidence-based pain management with older people, following colorectal surgery: an ethnographic studyDonna Brown
Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:1287-98. 2006..The aim of this project was to examine pain management practices with older people admitted to the colorectal unit of an acute hospital trust...
- Person-centredness in gerontological nursing: an overview of the literatureBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster and Director of Nursing Research and Practice Development, Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 13:31-8. 2004..There is a need for further research and development work in gerontological nursing to distinguish between person-centred practice and good quality care for older people...
- What counts as evidence in evidence-based practice?Jo Rycroft-Malone
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK
J Adv Nurs 47:81-90. 2004....
- Getting evidence into practice: the role and function of facilitationGill Harvey
Quality Improvement Programme, RCN Institute, Oxford, UK
J Adv Nurs 37:577-88. 2002..This paper presents the findings of a concept analysis of facilitation in relation to successful implementation of evidence into practice...
- Practice development: purpose, methodology, facilitation and evaluationKim Manley
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Royal College of Nursing, 20 Cavendish Square, London W1M 0RN
Nurs Crit Care 8:22-9. 2003..Emancipatory practice development underpinned by critical social science is argued as synonymous to emancipatory action research...
- Getting evidence into practice: ingredients for changeJo Rycroft-Malone
Institute, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford
Nurs Stand 16:38-43. 2002..A framework has been developed to represent these factors. For those about to embark on implementation work, this article closes by highlighting a number of key questions for consideration, stimulated by the framework...
- Incontinence: assessment, diagnosis, and management in two rehabilitation units for older peopleAlice Coffey
School of Nursing and Midwifery, University College Cork, Republic of Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:179-86. 2007..Current approaches to continence care indicate an emphasis on safety and reduction of risk, rather than on detailed individualised assessment and management...
- Editorial: the involvement of service users in care, services and policy - comments and implications for nursing developmentJan Reed
J Clin Nurs 14:41-2. 2005
- Hearing voices? Don't be afraidBrendan McCormack
Nurs Older People 17:3. 2005
- Critical realism as emancipatory action: the case for realistic evaluation in practice developmentValerie Wilson
Nursing Research and Practice Development Unit, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, NSW, Australia
Nurs Philos 7:45-57. 2006....
- Developing postoperative pain management: utilising the promoting action on research implementation in health services (PARIHS) frameworkDonna Brown
Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 2:131-41. 2005..However, research evidence into pain management would suggest that this is not the case...
- Developing a qualitative approach to 360-degree feedback to aid understanding and development of clinical expertiseRobert Garbett
Nursing Development Centre, University of Ulster and Royal Hospitals Trust, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
J Nurs Manag 15:342-7. 2007..Part of the process consisted of the exploration, critique and refinement of qualitative 360-degree feedback as a tool for peer review...
- Getting evidence into practice: the meaning of 'context'Brendan McCormack
University of Ulster Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Adv Nurs 38:94-104. 2002..This paper presents the findings of a concept analysis of 'context' in relation to the successful implementation of evidence into practice...