Affiliation: University of Liverpool
- Development and validation of a global positioning system-based "map book" system for categorizing cluster residency status of community members living in high-density urban slums in Blantyre, MalawiPeter MacPherson
Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Tuberculosis HIV TB Group, Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, P O Box 30096, Chichiri 3, Blantyre, Malawi
Am J Epidemiol 177:1143-7. 2013..90, 1.00). With map books, cluster residents were classified rapidly and accurately. If validated elsewhere, this approach could be of widespread value in that it would enable accurate categorization without home visits...
- Stigmatising attitudes among people offered home-based HIV testing and counselling in Blantyre, Malawi: construction and analysis of a stigma scalePeter MacPherson
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e26814. 2011..From these data, we constructed a brief stigma scale for use around the time of HIV testing...
- Suboptimal patterns of provider initiated HIV testing and counselling, antiretroviral therapy eligibility assessment and referral in primary health clinic attendees in Blantyre, MalawiPeter MacPherson
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK
Trop Med Int Health 17:507-17. 2012..To understand reasons for suboptimal and delayed uptake of antiretroviral therapy (ART) by describing the patterns of HIV testing and counselling (HTC) and outcomes of ART eligibility assessments in primary clinic attendees...
- Determinants and consequences of failure of linkage to antiretroviral therapy at primary care level in Blantyre, Malawi: a prospective cohort studyPeter MacPherson
Clinical Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e44794. 2012..In the first study of this kind at primary care level, we investigated the pathway to care in the Malawian National Programme, one of the strongest in Africa...
- Barriers and facilitators to linkage to ART in primary care: a qualitative study of patients and providers in Blantyre, MalawiPeter MacPherson
Clinical Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, UK
J Int AIDS Soc 15:18020. 2012..Reasons for failure of linkage are poorly understood...
- Effect of optional home initiation of HIV care following HIV self-testing on antiretroviral therapy initiation among adults in Malawi: a randomized clinical trialPeter MacPherson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, United Kingdom2TB and HIV Group, Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, Blantyre, Malawi
JAMA 312:372-9. 2014..Self-testing for HIV infection may contribute to early diagnosis of HIV, but without necessarily increasing antiretroviral therapy (ART) initiation...
- A novel community health worker tool outperforms WHO clinical staging for assessment of antiretroviral therapy eligibility in a resource-limited settingPeter MacPherson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom TB and HIV Group, Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, Blantyre, Malawi Department of Clinical Research, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi Department of International Public Health, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom and HIV Department, Ministry of Health, Lilongwe, Malawi
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 65:e74-8. 2014..68%), negative predictive values (53% vs. 47%), and area under the receiver-operator curve (0.62 vs. 0.54; P = 0.017). Reliance on WHO staging is likely to result in missed and delayed antiretroviral therapy initiation...
- Programmatic evaluation of a combined antigen and antibody test for rapid HIV diagnosis in a community and sexual health clinic screening programmeMiriam Taegtmeyer
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e28019. 2011..Fourth generation antigen/antibody rapid test kits could facilitate earlier diagnosis of HIV in non-clinical settings but lack data on performance under programmatic conditions...
- Uptake, Accuracy, Safety, and Linkage into Care over Two Years of Promoting Annual Self-Testing for HIV in Blantyre, Malawi: A Community-Based Prospective StudyAugustine T Choko
Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, Blantyre, Malawi
PLoS Med 12:e1001873. 2015..The aim was to evaluate the uptake of testing, accuracy, linkage into care, and health outcomes when highly convenient and flexible but supported access to HIVST kits was provided to a well-defined and closely monitored population...
- Diagnostic accuracy of the WHO clinical staging system for defining eligibility for ART in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysisChigomezgo Munthali
Department of International Public Health, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK
J Int AIDS Soc 17:18932. 2014..We therefore reviewed the accuracy of WHO stage 3 or 4 assessment in identifying ART eligibility according to CD4 count thresholds for ART initiation...
- Evidence of improving antiretroviral therapy treatment delays: an analysis of eight years of programmatic outcomes in Blantyre, MalawiDerek J Sloan
Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Chichiri 3, PO 30096, Blantyre, Malawi
BMC Public Health 13:490. 2013..However, the effects of rapid ART scale-up on delays between HIV diagnosis and treatment initiation have not been well described...
- Service delivery interventions to improve adolescents' linkage, retention and adherence to antiretroviral therapy and HIV carePeter MacPherson
Department of Public Health and Policy, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Trop Med Int Health 20:1015-32. 2015..The objective of this review was to evaluate the effectiveness of service delivery interventions to improve adolescents' linkage from HIV diagnosis to antiretroviral therapy (ART) initiation, retention in HIV care and adherence to ART...
- Field accuracy of fourth-generation rapid diagnostic tests for acute HIV-1: a systematic reviewJoseph M Lewis
aWellcome Trust Tropical Centre bDepartment of Clinical Sciences, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine cDepartment of Public Health and Policy, University of Liverpool dDepartment of Parasitology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK eCentre for Evidence based Healthcare, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa fDepartment of Essential Medicines and Health Products, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 29:2465-71. 2015..Fourth-generation HIV-1 rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) detect HIV-1 p24 antigen to screen for acute HIV-1. However, diagnostic accuracy during clinical use may be suboptimal...
- Pre-treatment loss to follow-up in tuberculosis patients in low- and lower-middle-income countries and high-burden countries: a systematic review and meta-analysisPeter MacPherson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, L3 5QA, England
Bull World Health Organ 92:126-38. 2014..To assess the magnitude of loss to follow-up in smear- or culture-positive tuberculosis patients before treatment initiation and outcomes among patients who were traced...
- Feasibility and acceptability of point of care HIV testing in community outreach and GUM drop-in services in the North West of England: a programmatic evaluationPeter MacPherson
Clinical Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, L3 5QA Liverpool, UK
BMC Public Health 11:419. 2011....