Affiliation: University of Birmingham
- Interaction sites on human IgG-Fc for FcgammaR: current modelsRoy Jefferis
Division of Immunity and Infection, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Immunol Lett 82:57-65. 2002..This mini-review summarizes our current understanding of interactions of FcgammaRI, FcgammaRII and FcgammaRIII with human IgG antibodies. Particular emphasis is given to the influence of IgG-Fc glycosylation...
- IgG-Fc-mediated effector functions: molecular definition of interaction sites for effector ligands and the role of glycosylationR Jefferis
Department of Immunology, Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
Immunol Rev 163:59-76. 1998....
- Glycosylation as a strategy to improve antibody-based therapeuticsRoy Jefferis
Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, School of Medicine, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Nat Rev Drug Discov 8:226-34. 2009..This Review summarizes current knowledge of these methods and avenues for their exploitation in the clinic...
- Expression and characterization of truncated forms of humanized L243 IgG1. Architectural features can influence synthesis of its oligosaccharide chains and affect superoxide production triggered through human Fcgamma receptor IJ Lund
Department of Immunology, The Medical School, Birmingham, UK
Eur J Biochem 267:7246-57. 2000..Thus, the L243 scFvhCH2 homo-dimer constitutes the minimal truncated form that binds the MHC Class II antigen and triggers superoxide production through FcgammaRI...
- Glycosylation of recombinant antibody therapeuticsRoyston Jefferis
Division of Immunity and Infection, The School of Medicine, University of Birmingham, Vincent Drive, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Biotechnol Prog 21:11-6. 2005..Thus a further challenge will be the production of a second generation of antibody therapeutics customized for their clinical indication...
- Isotype and glycoform selection for antibody therapeuticsRoy Jefferis
University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Arch Biochem Biophys 526:159-66. 2012..The FcγR and the C1q binding functions are dependent on glycosylation of the IgG-Fc. Normal human serum IgG is comprised of multiple glycoforms and biologic activities, other than catabolism, varies between glycoforms...
- Antibody therapeutics: isotype and glycoform selectionRoy Jefferis
University of Birmingham, Division of Immunity and Infection, The School of Medicine, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Expert Opin Biol Ther 7:1401-13. 2007..Thus, when maximal antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity activity is indicated a non-fucosylated IgG1 format may be optimal; when minimal activity is indicated an aglycosylated IgG2 may be the form of choice...
- Aglycosylated antibodies and the methods of making and using them: WO2008030564Roy Jefferis
Professor of Molecular Immunology University of Birmingham, Division of Immunity and Infection, B15 2TT UK
Expert Opin Ther Pat 19:101-5. 2009..It remains to be demonstrated that such radical structural changes do not have a negative impact on the stability and immunogenicity of these constructs...
- The antibody paradigm: present and future development as a scaffold for biopharmaceutical drugsRoy Jefferis
School of Immunity and Infection, The College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev 26:1-42. 2010....
- Hypogalactosylation of serum IgG in patients with ANCA-associated systemic vasculitisM Holland
MRC Centre for Immune Regulation, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 129:183-90. 2002..Both of these activities could impact on the processing and presentation of self-antigens in autoimmune disease...
- Glycosylation of natural and recombinant antibody moleculesRoy Jefferis
Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, B15 2TT UK
Adv Exp Med Biol 564:143-8. 2005
- Glycosylation of antibody therapeutics: optimisation for purposeRoy Jefferis
Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, UK
Methods Mol Biol 483:223-38. 2009..Advances in downstream processing also need to be realised whilst chemical changes during processing and storage must be minimised...
- Differential glycosylation of polyclonal IgG, IgG-Fc and IgG-Fab isolated from the sera of patients with ANCA-associated systemic vasculitisM Holland
Division of Immunity and Infection, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1760:669-77. 2006..Remarkably, this influence is exerted on all plasma cells. Interestingly, a licensed monoclonal antibody therapeutic, produced in Sp2/0 cells, is also shown to be hypogalactosylated in its IgG-Fc but fully galactosylated in its IgG-Fab...
- No association between neutrophil FcgammaRIIa allelic polymorphism and anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA)-positive systemic vasculitisW Y Tse
Department of Nephrology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TH, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 117:198-205. 1999..Our data suggest that the FcgammaRIIa receptor allotype is not a major factor predisposing to the development of ANCA+ systemic vasculitis, or to nephritis...
- Neutrophil FcgammaRIIIb allelic polymorphism in anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA)-positive systemic vasculitisW Y Tse
Department of Nephrology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and Department of Immunology, The Medical School, Birmingham University, Birmingham, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 119:574-7. 2000..The over-representation of the FcgammaRIIIb homozygous NA1 allele in patients with anti-MPO antibodies may have implications for disease susceptibility...
- Butyrate increases production of human chimeric IgG in CHO-K1 cells whilst maintaining function and glycoform profileY Mimura
Division of Immunity and Infection, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
J Immunol Methods 247:205-16. 2001..These results demonstrated that butyrate is of value for increasing the productivity of CHO-K1 for recombinant IgG and does not compromise either glycosylation or biological activity...
- Contrasting glycosylation profiles between Fab and Fc of a human IgG protein studied by electrospray ionization mass spectrometryYusuke Mimura
Division of Immunity and Infection, Medical School, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
J Immunol Methods 326:116-26. 2007..Thus, combination of the two endoglycosidases can provide a simple means of glycan analysis of both Fab and Fc by ESI-MS, which may contribute to the development of therapeutic IgG with customized glycan profiles...
- Anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody IgG subclasses in Wegener's granulomatosis: a possible pathogenic role for the IgG4 subclassM Holland
MRC Centre for Immune Regulation, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 138:183-92. 2004....
- Role of oligosaccharide residues of IgG1-Fc in Fc gamma RIIb bindingY Mimura
Division of Immunity and Infection, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, B15 2TT United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:45539-47. 2001..These results suggest that truncation of the oligosaccharides of IgG-Fc causes disorder and a closed disposition of the two C(H)2 domains, impairing sFc gamma RIIb binding...
- Development of a highly-sensitive multi-plex assay using monoclonal antibodies for the simultaneous measurement of kappa and lambda immunoglobulin free light chains in serum and urineJohn P Campbell
Clinical Immunology Service, School of Immunity and Infection, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
J Immunol Methods 391:1-13. 2013..Given the overall effectiveness of the anti-FLC mAbs, further clinical validation is now warranted on serial samples from a range of patients with B cell disorders. Use of these mAbs on other assay platforms should also be investigated...
- Site-specific glycosylation of an aglycosylated human IgG1-Fc antibody protein generates neoglycoproteins with enhanced functionGregory M Watt
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, The University of Georgia, 220 Riverbend Road, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Chem Biol 10:807-14. 2003..The neoglycoproteins displayed enhanced superoxide inhibition relative to aglycosylated Deltah-Fc N297C, where increased glycan size correlated positively with increased inhibition...
- Chimeric antibodies to proteinase 3 of IgG1 and IgG3 subclasses induce different magnitudes of functional responses in neutrophilsRachel Colman
Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility, University Hospital Birmingham Foundation Trust, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 66:676-82. 2007....