Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Human α(2)β(1)(HI) CD133(+VE) epithelial prostate stem cells express low levels of active androgen receptorStuart C Williamson
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e48944. 2012..Further study of specific AR functions in prostate stem and differentiated cells may highlight novel mechanisms of prostate homeostasis and insights into tumourigenesis...
- Side population in human non-muscle invasive bladder cancer enriches for cancer stem cells that are maintained by MAPK signallingAnastasia C Hepburn
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e50690. 2012..In conclusion, we confirm ABCG2(hi) SP enriches for CSCs in human NMIBC and MAPK/ERK pathway is a suitable therapeutic target...
- A review of tasquinimod in the treatment of advanced prostate cancerStuart Charles Williamson
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, UK
Drug Des Devel Ther 7:167-74. 2013..Although Phase III clinical trials are on-going, the findings to date highlight the promise of this drug in the treatment of advanced prostate cancer...
- KGF suppresses alpha2beta1 integrin function and promotes differentiation of the transient amplifying population in human prostatic epitheliumRakesh Heer
Urology Research Group, Northern Institute for Cancer Research, University of Newcastle, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
J Cell Sci 119:1416-24. 2006..Taken together, using a human primary culture model, we have demonstrated key roles for interactions between KGF and integrin-mediated function in the regulation of prostate epithelial differentiation...
- The role of androgen in determining differentiation and regulation of androgen receptor expression in the human prostatic epithelium transient amplifying populationR Heer
Urology Research Group, Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Cell Physiol 212:572-8. 2007....
- A critical systematic review of recent clinical trials comparing open retropubic, laparoscopic and robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomyR Heer
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Rev Recent Clin Trials 6:241-9. 2011..This systematic review examines the current status of minimally- invasive prostatectomy focussing on peri-operative, oncological and urogenital functional outcomes...
- Hunterian Lecture. Characterisation of human prostate epithelial progenitor differentiation in response to androgensR Heer
Department of Urology, Freeman Hospital, High Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7 7DN, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 93:424-8. 2011..However, AR was thought to be lacking in prostate stem cell enriched fractions. Potential low levels of AR expression in stem cell enriched cells were investigated and potential direct effects of androgen were examined...
- Characterisations of human prostate stem cells reveal deficiency in class I UGT enzymes as a novel mechanism for castration-resistant prostate cancerS C Williamson
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University, NE2 4HH, Newcastle upon Tyne United Kingdom
Br J Cancer 109:950-6. 2013..Furthermore, many SC-signalling pathways are shown to be shared in prostate cancer. Therefore, we planned transcriptome characterisation of adult prostate SCs as a strategy to consider new targets for cancer treatment...
- Aberrant expression of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 5 in human prostate cancerS R C McCracken
Urology Research Group, Northern Institute for Cancer Research, University of Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, UK
Oncogene 27:2978-88. 2008..Taken together, our results establish the potential importance of ERK5 in aggressive prostate cancer...
- Fibroblast growth factor 17 is over-expressed in human prostate cancerR Heer
Urology Research Group, Northern Institute for Cancer Research, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Pathol 204:578-86. 2004..These data support a role for FGF17, and a model of co-expression of multiple FGFs, with FGF17 as a potential mediator of FGF8 function, in human prostate carcinogenesis...
- Accuracy of the revised 2010 TNM classification in predicting the prognosis of patients treated for renal cell cancer in the north east of EnglandR Veeratterapillay
Department of Urology, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Clin Pathol 65:367-71. 2012..In this study the recent 2010 revision to the TNM classification was compared with the previous 2002 classification with regard to survival outcomes...
- A prospective audit of hypospadias correction in a regional paediatric surgery centreR Heer
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur J Pediatr Surg 14:328-32. 2004..To prospectively review the management and treatment of hypospadias in a single regional centre, and in particular, to assess the spectrum of cases treated, techniques used and to determine the nature of the complications...
- Phenotypic modulation of human urinary tract stroma-derived fibroblasts by transforming growth factor beta3Rakesh Heer
Northern Institute of Cancer Research, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Urology 76:509.e13-20. 2010..In this study, we aim to determine whether TGFbeta3 treatment induced differentiation of human urinary tract stroma-derived fibroblasts to a smooth muscle-like phenotype...
- Epigenetic inactivation of the human sprouty2 (hSPRY2) homologue in prostate cancerArthur B McKie
Urology Research Group, Northern Institute for Cancer Research, The Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4AD, UK
Oncogene 24:2166-74. 2005..We therefore propose hSPRY2 as a potential tumour suppressor locus in CaP...