Ailsa J Hall
Affiliation: University of St Andrews
- Phocid seal leptin: tertiary structure and hydrophobic receptor binding site preservation during distinct leptin gene evolutionJohn A Hammond
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Newbury, UK
PLoS ONE 7:e35395. 2012..We suggest that this additional surfactant requirement is met by the leptin pulmonary surfactant production pathway which normally appears only to function in the mammalian foetus...
- The risk of infection from polychlorinated biphenyl exposure in the harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena): a case-control approachAilsa J Hall
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, United Kingdom
Environ Health Perspect 114:704-11. 2006..However, as with case-control studies in human and veterinary epidemiology, unforeseen misclassification errors may result in biased risk estimates in either direction...
- Polychlorinated biphenyls, DDT, polybrominated diphenyl ethers, and organic pesticides in United Kingdom harbor seals (Phoca vitulina)--mixed exposures and thyroid homeostasisAilsa J Hall
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife KY18 8LB, United Kingdom
Environ Toxicol Chem 26:851-61. 2007....
- Annual, seasonal and individual variation in hematology and clinical blood chemistry profiles in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) from Sarasota Bay, FloridaAilsa J Hall
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, KY16 8LB, United Kingdom
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 148:266-77. 2007..Again, nutritional and thermal constraints seem to be the most likely environmental factors influencing these patterns...
- Molecular cloning and expression of leptin in gray and harbor seal blubber, bone marrow, and lung and its potential role in marine mammal respiratory physiologyJohn A Hammond
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland, KY16 8LB, UK
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 289:R545-R553. 2005..Finally, we report the substantial inadequacies of using heterologous antibodies to measure leptin in unextracted gray seal serum...
- Changes in blubber contaminant concentrations in California sea lions (Zalophus californianus) associated with weight loss and gain during rehabilitationA J Hall
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 8LB, UK
Environ Sci Technol 42:4181-7. 2008..These results indicate the importance of considering the energetic contextwhen sampling blubberfor long-term contaminant monitoring and suggest an initial approach to adjust for such differences...
- Exposure to persistent organic pollutants and first-year survival probability in gray seal pupsAilsa J Hall
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Scottish Oceans Institute, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 8LB, Scotland
Environ Sci Technol 43:6364-9. 2009..These compounds were not the most abundant in the blubber, suggesting further studies into their toxicological effects in this species are necessary. The specific mechanisms driving the reduction in survivorship remain unknown...
- Individual-based model framework to assess population consequences of polychlorinated biphenyl exposure in bottlenose dolphinsAilsa J Hall
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom
Environ Health Perspect 114:60-4. 2006..Such data require continued efforts directed toward long-term studies of known individuals in wild and semiwild populations...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in grey seals during their first year of life--are they thyroid hormone endocrine disrupters?Ailsa J Hall
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, Fife, UK
Environ Pollut 126:29-37. 2003..Such an association is not alone sufficient evidence for a cause and effect relationship, however it is in accordance with the hypothesis that these compounds are endocrine disrupters in grey seal pups...
- Cryostorage of hepatic microsomes from two marine mammal species: effects on cytochrome P450-monooxygenase activities and contentRachel E Tilley
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, St Andrews KY16 9SB, UK
Mar Pollut Bull 46:654-8. 2003
- Identification and real-time PCR quantification of Phocine distemper virus from two colonies of Scottish grey seals in 2002John A Hammond
NERC Sea Mammal Research Unit, University of St Andrews, Gatty Marine Laboratory, St Andrews, Fife KY16 8LB, UK
J Gen Virol 86:2563-7. 2005..In some seals the virus is able to replicate from the primary site of infection. This study provides evidence that grey seals may have an active role in the spread of PDV during an epidemic...
- The immunocompetence handicap hypothesis in two sexually dimorphic pinniped species--is there a sex difference in immunity during early development?Ailsa J Hall
NERC Sea Mammal Research Unit, Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife KY16 8LB, UK
Dev Comp Immunol 27:629-37. 2003..Southern elephant seals had higher concentrations than grey seals and total leucocyte counts in the former were among the highest reported for mammals...
- Isolation of two cytochrome P450 cDNAs, CYP1A1 and CYP1A2, from harp seal (Phoca groenlandica) and grey seal (Halichoerus grypus)Rachel E Tilley
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, UK
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 132:181-91. 2002..The CYP1A sequence information presented in this study has provided the necessary data for the future production of species-specific probes for the use as biomarkers of environmental contaminant exposure...
- Salmonella infection in grey seals (Halichoerus grypus), a marine mammal sentinel species: pathogenicity and molecular typing of Salmonella strains compared with human and livestock isolatesJohanna L Baily
Moredun Research Institute, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH26 0PZ, UK
Environ Microbiol 18:1078-87. 2016..These results suggest that S. Bovismorbificans may circulate between grey seal and cattle populations and that both S. Typhimurium and S. Haifa isolates are shared with humans, raising concerns of microbial marine pollution. ..
- Evidence for a genetic basis of urogenital carcinoma in the wild California sea lionHelen M Browning
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Scottish Oceans Institute, University of St Andrews, Fife, UK
Proc Biol Sci 281:20140240. 2014..This adds emphasis to the study of HPSE2 in other species, including humans and will guide future studies on this sentinel species that shares much of its diet and environment with humans. ..
- The role of organochlorines in cancer-associated mortality in California sea lions (Zalophus californianus)Gina M Ylitalo
Environmental Conservation Division, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 2725 Montlake Boulevard East, Seattle, WA 98112, USA
Mar Pollut Bull 50:30-9. 2005..Age, sex, mass and length did not affect the probability of dying from carcinoma...
- Absorption of decabromodiphenyl ether and other organohalogen chemicals by grey seals (Halichoerus grypus)Gareth O Thomas
Department of Environmental Science, Institute of Environmental and Natural Sciences, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YQ, UK
Environ Pollut 133:581-6. 2005..Current understanding of the mechanism of absorption of organohalogen chemicals and the potential for accumulation of decabromodiphenyl ether will need reassessing in the light of these results...
- Transplacental transfer of organochlorines in California sea lions (Zalophus californianus)Denise J Greig
The Marine Mammal Center, 1065 Fort Cronkhite, Sausalito, California 94965, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 26:37-44. 2007..Fetal TEQ was explained by maternal TEQ and maternal age. The ability to predict contaminant concentrations in fetal blubber from maternal parameters is important for developing risk assessment models for marine mammals...
- Comparison of polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) induced effects on innate immune functions in harbour and grey sealsJohn A Hammond
School of Life Sciences, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS, UK
Aquat Toxicol 74:126-38. 2005....
- Blood chemistry in southern elephant seal mothers and pups during lactation reveals no effect of handlingGeorg H Engelhard
Alterra Institute, Marine and Coastal Zone Research, P O Box 167, 1790 AD Den Burg, The Netherlands
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 133:367-78. 2002..g. food limitation, suspected to be involved in population declines...